10 years post Grade 4 SAH

Next month will mark my 10th year anniversary post a Grade 4 SAH.  The aneurysm leaked and was repaired through minimally invasive surgery,  The aneurysm sack was embolized / coiled with 7 platinum pins.  No deficits from the accident and now i plan to meet with an interntionalist to review options for revisiting the area and to check on the condition of the coils.

The last cerebral angiogram was performed less than two years post the accident.  I want to inquire about getting an MRA vs Cerebral angiogram to see how things look and move forward from there.  Just wondering if I should go this route or just go straight for the cerebral angiogram.

Had same as you Jeff used to think mine was a 3 until hubby showed me papers from Hospital.

Mine was coiled and then I had a really bad seizure, unlike any other, mind had them since 14 so pretty used to them, now an old dear xx

Was different from any other seizure ie more violent and they told me I had another bleed after MRI showed blood on brain.  No wonder my Surgeon said no stress !! 

If we put our heads together we'd be worth a few bob lol. 

Mine healed themselves xx

Listen as Super says to Consultant and take it from there, I had mine in 2009 and find singing happy songs helps, poor family.

Still here alive and kicking, wishing you all the best whatever you go with xxxx Remember no stress.  

Hi Jeff

I had a 4 also and had a cerebral angiogram before my coiling and then again to check 6 months post bleed.

At the time (2012) I think that procedure was the absolute gold standard test for checking coiling but since then technology has moved on and It has not been deemed necessary in my experience for another angio since. I have MRIs for my annual and now bi-annual checks and my consultant is happy this provides enough visual evidence for their assessment. To my knowledge I have only once had an MRA and that was at my local hospital and not a neurological hospital and Involved them injecting dye as well.  

Ask your consultant what they advise?  Each case for follow up is individual. So I think a MRA is about checking the blood vessels for clots and bulges whilst MRI shows more a complete view of all the tissues, full brain pathology and can give a 3d view so this would also show up ventricle size,( Thats Important  for me as I have a shunt]  but it would also pick up any changes in coiling since last scan.

good luck and good to hear you are doing well 

It is a great feeling to be warmly welcomed to this forum and I'm so thankful for the support here! 

Well I met with the Dr. yesterday and she said a few things that really made sense to me.  She said while a CT, MRI, MRA are options for investigating, she stated the cerebral angiogram will give her the best possible visual for just how stable the coils are after 10 years.  Given the fact my SAH which happened at the end of my left carotid artery is "familial" and was bound to happen sometime in my life around the age of 50 (I had just turned 53 at the time) feels an angiogram will allow her the ability to discover if there is anything else going on in my brain. 

Scheduled the procedure for this coming Monday, June 18 and should take less than an hour plus an hour or so of recovery as an outpatient at the hospital which is a stroke center where I am employed.  Going this route and feeling the need to follow-up was a decision I made since the services will require no out of pocket expenses as part of my healthcare benefits.   

Hope everyone has a great weekend and I will post my experience and results early next week.  

Jeff 

My cerebral angiogram last Monday afternoon went well other than this time, the anesthesia wiped me out but by Tuesday afternoon I was feeling pretty good.  The results were good.... nothing new to report.  The 7 platinum pins used to coil the aneurysm sack appeared stable after 10 years and everything else appeared normal in terms of all the stuff in my brain.   I have not heard back from the IR and if I don't hear back from her by the end of this week I shall give her a call.  I guess no news is good news?  

All I know is I've taken my neurologists advice, one he gave me back in May 2008 after 18 days in the hospital and going home without a deficit.  One thing he told me I absolutely CAN NOT DO now that I've been through this. He told me "you CAN NOT live in fear, live your life, chase your passions and embrace this new life - a second chance."  

Jeff, I also agree, great advice from your consultant.

In fact that is what I have done. Took a while to do it though. I thoroughly enjoy life now. What is in the past is in the past, there is no point in looking back, you can't change it.

Your Neurologist sounds a wise one now take a deep breath and live life to the full, without overdoing it  lol xx

Thanks for letting us know Jeff, so pleased for you.  

Was wondering how things were going  (Win the nosey one) xx

Hi Jeff,

Reading your story, wow ten years and all is well.  How wonderful...You have already been given some great advice by your doctor so all I will say is carry on :)  Thanks for sharing...Each of us is supported by all of us...

Jean

Archived