SAH spouse need answers

My wife had a SAH Thursday June 7th. Worse day of my life. After 5 days in Neuro icu we were discharged Tuesday June 12th. She has pain in her legs and a headache periodically. I'm terrified because she has to blow her nose and that will create pressure. I wanted to know is it safe to blow her nose. They have her taking stroke and seizure medication. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks Curt 

Hi Curt

warm welcome to the site, glad you found us.

its a horrible time for you both but things to get easier I was scared stiff to sneeze as I remember, it is just baby steps and slow and easy with things.

All I can say is plenty of rest, keep well hydrated that really helps with the headaches.  I was on seizure meds for a time.

look forward to your updates on your wife and yourself..

take care

Curt, 

it is scary to think about sneezing, blowing nose, going to loo even but each small milestone will pass and you can chalk off that particular worry, both of you, 

try going at everything more slowly, if it hurts to blow her nose for instance then try doing it slower, more gradually, that might sound a funny thing to say but you really can slow imost things down and it helps. Sneezing not so much that you just have to ride through. 

i guess what we are saying Is the worry is entirely normal, the first time she bangs her head ( and she will at some point) you’ll worry too, but with any worry just sit and wait a while, hold hands, listen to music and if there is nothing getting worse then you can let go the worry, there will be another along ( my husband still worries if I wince for any reason) but you will cope together.

its really early so go steady and don’t try to go too fast.

Curt my husband had his sah one year ago. It’s been the worse year of our life. He spent one week in icu and one week hdu and ward. 

What I have learnt over this year is my reaction has an impact on my husbands recovery. He just wants his life to return to normal and forget what happened, by me asking all the time “ is he ok “ ..“I will do that “ it constantly reminded him of what happened.

i am now trying to step back a little. He walks for an hour and half most days, he hasn’t started his running yet and tbh dosnt feel like running most of the time he said. 

last week was the first anniversary and I decided not to mention it as I didn’t want to remind him of that dreadful night, I just watched him sleep till we had passed the time his aneurysm burst ( just before midnight) he still gets lots of headaches and has lots of tiredness and fatigue but has pushed on to what is normal for now.

In the early days he told me his walks were where he would go and cry, his emotions are all over the place. Some days he feels better than others. He still isn’t in the place to see how lucky we are that he survived.. he is extremely negative but I am hoping as time goes by that will change.

We both find it frustrating when people constantly ask him if he is ok and then say your very lucky to be alive, I think really did we need that second part, but they mean well.

I am lucky I am a ceo of a women’s organisation and they have been absolutely fantastic and supportive. I took 9 weeks off work with him and then went back in a phased return , I work at home one day a week. I think the saving grace for us was we had a baby grandson who has helped us all get through each day good or bad. 

Not sure about your circumstances on the sah , my husband collapsed in front of me and I had to do cpr as he went into an unresponsive state immediately, the trauma of that night and having to ring my children based on the ambulance drivers advice will live with me forever. I have not had any formal counselling but have spoke to lots of very good friends, but support for yourself is important. 

Take care and I wish you and your wife well 

mandy

Hi Curt,

I have had Epilepsy since puberty 14 but after I had my SAH 4 they became stronger and just as I was going 2 years without one.

I had a really bad one and had MRI and they said I had a re bleed but was 2 small ones and they healed  over. Phew !! Still scared me silly but at least I know why the bad Seizure happened xx 

Wife will get better but it does take time, remember all what others have said and keep moving forward.  Slowly but surely we do move on.  I knew I was getting better as instead of being pampered I got told to do it myself lol.

Good luck Curt and Wife xxxx  I still chance my arm lol  xxxxx made myself laugh ha xxxx

Thank you guys for your kind words and encouragement. I've been a wreck trying to figure this out alone. I'm so happy to have found BTG. They say things happen for a reason. I will trust the process. 

Y'all have been too helpful. Today I called to get her pain medication changed. The pain in her legs are something I would not wish on my worst enemy. My wife is 37. She asked me when we are getting busy (having sex). I said we have to wait until we see your doctor. She can't wait that long.  I want to make her happy but I don't want her to have a stroke or something worse. Are there folks who are Sexually Active after SAH. Thanks in advance.  Curt

Yes and I also had two children since xxx

I had sah September 2002 another aneurysm clipped January 2003 and was pregnant within two weeks of the second operation xxx

Only your partner knows when their ready just relax everything will be ok xxx

Hi Curt,

The thing to remember about SAH is that recovery is a slow and gradual process - in your wife's own time and not the time you want her to recover in.  So, patience is very much a virtue in this case!

Do things when your wife is ready to do them and like Chris says - do things at a gentle pace and stop doing them if she needs to rest.  What you can't do is go to sleep at night and then next morning expect everything to suddenly be alright again.  It doesn't work like that.

Recovery is not a 100 metres sprint, it is a marathon, done at walking pace!

Good luck.

Macca

Archived