New Member - Dan

DKON

Hi, my name is Dan.

I found the BTG site early in my recovery and found solace in reading about other people’s experiences.

I suffered a non-aneurysmal SAH on November 10th, 2017.  I took a day off work to complete some home projects and suddenly had a headache that increased in intensity over a couple of hours.  I made it to the hospital ER where a CT confirmed bleeding in my brain. 

I lost consciousness, had seizures and was air lifted to the Ohio State University Medical Center where I spent the next six days.  Testing included an angiogram and several CT, MRI, and MRA scans.  No structural reason found for the bleed.  No medical history risk factors for stroke.   After discharge I continued to have severe headaches and trouble concentrating.

At my neurosurgery follow-up on December 20, 2017 the doctor reluctantly cleared me to return to work with my promise to take it easy.  Headaches and concentration issues continued.

Now, 8 months post SAH I’m still working but have headaches every day.  Some are short and intense; others are less painful but last for hours.  My Short term memory is worse.  I’ve seen a neurologist but no solutions; however things could be so much worse.  I’m truly fortunate.

My family and friends are very supportive and my recovery has been nothing short of amazing. I hope everyone here continues to improve finds balance in their lives.

Hi Dan

warm welcome to the site.

Do you keep yourself well hydrated that helps with headaches - keep going back to see the neurologist if your concerned only you know when things aren't right keep at them...

take care

Hello Dan,

Welcome to BTG,  To know I wasn't alone in this helped me a lot,  I also have short term memory loss gets on hubbys nerves (tough) but it is getting better slow but sure. 

I sing a lot and it helps me and never listen to others troubles as you have to get better before you take on others worries xx I know I sound selfish but I told my Sister not to tell me her problems as head cannot take it.  She took it well  lol xxx

Good to be a survivor and you made it.  If headaches persist I take a paracetamol.  Just the one  !! 

Good luck and welcome to BTG...This site gave me my laughter back as before that I thought "Uh oh this is the end of me" I saw people laughing and sharing their worries ..So welcome and keep drinking the water xxxxx

Hi Dan

Welcome to BTG, glad you found us and are finding the site useful.

I too had a NASAH, no cause found, mine was 3 years ago. Hopefully your headaches will subside in time but speak to your doctor if they don't. It could be that you need to hydrate more so drink plenty of water as Louise says - up to 3 litres a day is what I was told, but that's hard.

My short term memory was and still is fairly bad. I have had to find coping strategies such as writing everything down and making notes on my phone. I ask people to remind me not just presume I will remember myself. I never put anything in the oven or on the hob without putting on the timer as I forget things are in the oven or simmering and I often set alarm reminders on my phone to remind me to do certain things at times that suit.

The memory issues has been the hardest thing for me as prior to the bleed I was renown for my good memory. I still struggle now to accept that this is it and to be honest it's not that bad - just darn annoying! I like to think I am lucky really not to have had any more serious problems.

It's all just a big learning curve, only you will know what is best for you. You will reach a new normal point though and embrace it as you have embraced how fortunate you and in fact we all are.

Take care

Clare xx

Thanks for the warm welcome and the tip on staying hydrated.  I drank 2 liters today; we'll see how tomorrow goes.   I also use my phone to remind me of everything and when someone asks me for something at work I request they send me an email as a reminder.

Thanks again,

Dan

Well done Dan, you are taking the right steps.

Emails are also the way forward. In my new role my boss sends me all my jobs by email, it means I can’t say I have forgotten. However I do forget to check I’ve dealt with them all so have a daily reminder set to ensure I check that I have! 

The wonders of Microsoft Outlook - my personal memory assistant! 

Good luck

Archived