Personality changes?

Hello I’m new here! I had a SAH in 2014 which was treated by coils however I had vasospasm afterwards sadly and ended up in hospital longer than I would have wanted. A few months after I left the hospital I developed double vision and was whisked away again to have a craniotomy as my aneurysm was growing again. 

I lost my job of 15 years as I couldn’t keep up or even drive which was a part of my job. 

After this I took a year out to recover and started job hunting. I’ve had three jobs since this time and I’ve been sacked for each one. I kept my previous jobs for ten years plus so I’m quite upset to say the least!

My next job entailed training beforehand and I was finished as I had a ‘bad attitude ‘. Admittedly I found it hard to control my mouth, I spoke too soon and had literally no filter! Second lasted one day and I told the boss to stop panicking which apparently you just don’t do when he is concerned. Lastly I’m in a job but weeks in and I’ve fallen out with the boss as she has put pressure on me to do things I can’t do! I’ve over reacted I suppose so I know I’m in for a telling off at the very least. 

I used to be calm and collected , polite and not rude, now I’m the opposite yet despite having words with myself I cannot keep quiet and let things happen, I cannot allow myself to be almost subordinate and take the orders!! I feel like I’ve emerged from this SAH as a monster almost. I hate myself and this person I’ve become. Is there any hope??

I took antidepressants a few years ago which helped my mood but after 9 stone I put on and a general improvement I stopped them as they made my anger even worse!! 

Welcome to the website. I m not allowed to give you med advice but I would suggest you see your gp and may be have him or her evaluate you for depression or anxiety or pseudobalbar symptoms. I know your concerns about side effects from meds such as weight gain but I think there are many other choices of meds that might work without side effects.

At the same time, follow up regularly with neuro, drink lots of water, rest, do not stress out, meditate, etc etc. there are lots of good threads here you can read on this website. Goodluck to you.

Sadly I was not kept on by a neuro. They concentrated on my eyesight more than anything and discharged me. I’ve still got two aneurysms but they aren’t interested any more. I had psychological tests after my SAH but the results were fine apart from my eyesight affecting the results. I feel like I should be on the scrap heap 

Hi Katie

Nobody deserves to be on the scrap heap post bleed and that includes you.

I understand where your coming from and can only suggest that you talk to your gp and ask to be referred to a clinical psychologist who would understand how you feel and offer some support so that you could be able to control your outbursts  and discover what triggers the outbursts which is obviously down to the region of the brain which has been affected.

The old adage of count to ten before answering could apply but you are human and everyone reacts differently to situations that occur in daily life. Does your employer know you have suffered from an SAH  the psychologist tests are different from a clinical psychologist who work with you as a person and not follow the so called guidelines thy help you come to terms and help manage the changes you are experiencing.

I'm not sure the hospital have forgotten you if you have other annies  it would be prudent to ask the gp to refer you back for another scan and check up  just to give you peace of mind, and just remember you are not alone we are here for you 

Good luck and remember count to ten  lol  hugs and cuddles  xxx 

I will echo Paul's advise and suggest you see a neurologist who can explain what area of your brain was affected by the bleed. Sometimes just knowing what area was impacted - and the activities that area controlled - will at least help you understand your actions and accept yourself. No one is worthless due to a medical event. And I can relate to having outbursts.

Sometimes I just put my hand over my mouth and wait til I've thought a bit. I also take a mild antidepressant. I've talked to others who had this problem post-SAH too, so you are not alone. 

Colleen

I think it is fairly common to have personality changes after a bleed. I know I can get very frustrated when I am tired and the act out of character. Last night we were unable to get a taxi home after a meal and drinks with friends.  I was tired and basically threw a paddy! Stopped short of stamping my feet but found it very difficult to control my emotions. 

Are you in the UK? If so please go back to your GP and see if you can be referred for some type of counselling to help you come to terms with things.

No one should feel they are on the scrap heap so take action and get some help, it is out there. Good luck.

Clare xx

• 4 weeks later...

I can relate with having personality changes as I regularly fell out with my family, particularly the first few months afterwards. Since then I've moved out and things are a lot calmer though I too have a mouth on me when I feel the need and quite often find myself having no filter and slagging people off even when I dont want to or mean to.

I agree with previous comments recommending you go back to you GP. Hope you can find the support to amend you personality changes.

Archived