3years out and still feel stupid

Hi,

looking for advice on how to handle that voice in my head that keeps telling me how stupid I am and will always be every time I make a mistake, lose something or just get frustrated because I can't do little things. Especially when family is hard on me because they just can't get it

thank you!

Well, I'm new here,  but I can relate to feeling this way. I was diagnosed with MS years ago, and I have had my moments- alot of them.  Sometimes my family doesn't get it. How could they? And I don't think they mean to offend me those times they are not as patient or understanding.  They are just imperfect people, like all of us.

At any rate, know that you are not stupid! Look at what you survived! Look at how you adjusted and continued progressing in life. I find that often I can be my worst critic.  I have to acknowledge that, and work to consciously correct it. Every time that thought comes to you, replace it with an affirmation of self love.  "I am strong. I am a survivor. I am smart...." Sometimes we have to encourage and love on our selves! We have to be intentional about it.

Hugs to you.

Lovely words and advice from Valene.

My best advice to you when you have that negative voice or feeling is to stop and imagine what would you say if it was a beloved friend or relative stood in front of you saying those same things about themselves for a task done differently or a small mistake. You would no doubt reassure them, encourage them that their intentions were good, their efforts amazing and to remember how far they have come. Now extend that very same courtesy to yourself.

Please practise being kind to yourself. Cut yourself some slack. Yes aim high, have curiosity about what’s possible and push limits but when the voice comes which is usually ego and self doubt then Just silence it by being kind about your efforts and intention and focus and practice that. 

Hi,

Ah yes, I know this.  I go through it every day and I just tell folks I have brain damage.   My boss laughs and says I cannot use that as an excuse anymore and I tell him I earned it and will.  You have to find the humor beneath the pain and pry it out.  I work in finance and numbers are my job. I hate numbers. :)   So, when I am tired and my brain starts to shut down I mess up something fierce.  Do I feel stupid?  Yes, I do but it is what it is and I work hard to figure it out and it takes me forever sometimes.

You are not stupid, it just might take you a bit longer.  So what.  No big.

iola

On this site somewhere is "a letter from your brain."

Here is the link

http://web.behindthegray.net/articles.html/inspiration/a-letter-from-your-brain-by-stephanie-st-claire-©1996-r167/

Copy it and perhaps it might help them understand a bit more xx

My Hubby was so thoughtful when I was ill and he see's me improve slow but sure and sometimes he laughs.

I get the right hump/angry  but then sometimes I stop and think what they went through while I was out of it .

Tell them it is okay to laugh with me but never at me.  They love you really and guess it's a relief as you are a survivor. xxxx 

Keep well 

Winb143 alias Win xxxx

Archived