Flying post Sah

Hello Kindly please share your experiences about flying. I had my sah six years ago. My aneurysm has been coiled and clipped (May 2012). I never tried flying since my sah. I would like to try this time, I am planning to fly from UK to USA and it will be a 7hr flight. Do you think I can cope? Do I need  something for x-ray exemption or I am safe for x-ray? Thank you.

I have flown 4 or 5 times a year since my SAH 14 years ago. I have never had a problem. The longest flight was 7 hours. I suggest you take advice from your doctor. 

As a warning, just make sure your insurance are aware of your event, you know what medical expenses are like in the US. You will possibly have to pay an extra premium. Better to be safe than sorry 

Agree with super Mario. I flew a year after mine after feeling reassured when Super Mario shared her travel log on here and I have flown every year since.

A friend of mine who is a pilot also said the longer hauls may actually be easier as they have better cabin pressure, oxygen flow. 

I have an exemption for the scanners due to the make of my VP shunt ( examptions can apply to that and some pace makers and other medical devices) but that would only apply in certain cases also I noticed when I returned from holiday last week that scanners are updating again so there was one I could go through anyway with no issue.

Main thing is to rest before you fly, make the trip to airports as easy as possible, make allowance to rest when you get ther, the next day post travel can hit hard m drink plenty of water, take excellent noise reduction ear plugs and just try to sleep. I also wear sunglasses on the airport to take the edge off.

go . Enjoy. But yes get good insurance, 

Archived