Infection

Hi everyone , 

has anyone experienced an infection post op? Mum is now 9 weeks post SAH she was doing great until she had a seizure yesterday- a CT scan was done which showed fluid on her brain and they think it is infection so talking about removing part of her skull? We are absolutely terrified.

thank you

tara 

Hi Tara,

No I've haven't personally experienced an infection post op.

I'm presuming that the medics are going to remove part of your Mum's skull to relieve the swelling in her brain, which I'm also presuming caused the seizure yesterday and hence the CT scan.

If you think of it logically, when the brain swells, unlike other parts of the body, that swelling has no where to go because it's surrounded by the hard bone of the skull and hence the pressure builds up, as it can't escape elsewhere.

I know of a few people that have had to have a craniectomy to reduce pressure and also quite a few who've had a craniotomy to access their aneurysm for clipping surgery.

I believe that once all's okay and things have settled down that the piece of skull taken away can be kept to repair the skull or a metal plate put back into the skull at a later date when the patient is stable. This is all stuff that you need to ask the Neurosurgeon.

Yes, it does sounds pretty scary, but the main thing for your Mum is to get relief from the brain swelling which is causing her the problem right at this minute.

Tara, you can only take it one day at a time and tackle what needs doing for your Mum ... it's a huge amount for relatives to take in and I feel for you all, as it's quite a shock to hear this sort of news and I know the procedure sounds pretty barbaric to anybody that hasn't heard of it, but it's the way to go to try to relieve the pressure from your Mum's brain. 

Sending love and hugs to you all...xx

Yes sometimes they remove part of the skull and relieve the pressure. They will close it back, keep the fragment in the freezer and it will be put back later. 

It is not uncommon for people to have infections unfortunately. They need antibiotics sometimes are given in a picc line. Some stay in a rehab just to be on antibiotics. It is very treatable. They will do cultures to find out I m sure. Goodluck.

hi Tara

Although it sounds scary, its common for a flap to be taken out to relieve pressure. Also if mum has fluid then the ventricles maybe blocked hence the infection which can be treated with antibiotics. Please try not to worry too much and if the ventricles are blocked that is something else that can be sorted. The main thing is to support mum and not let your fears show.

Wishing mum well and that you relax a little because this is fairly common procedure. 

Keep us informed on how mum progress's, stay strong and take one day at a time please and make sure you have time for yourselves.

Hiya Tara, 

I had ventriculitis after my op.

You ask Docs all questions and be brave for Mum. 

Take care and I'm sure someone on here's had it done.

Catch you later and wishing you all the best for Mum xxxx ...Still keep in touch xxxx

Thank you very much for your advice everyone. Mum is currently in theatre they are going to see what they find as unsure if it’s infection with the fluid build up shown on CT. Mum hasn’t shown any signs of infection she’s been really well even going out a couple of hours a day & washing, hoovering etc.

So scary to witness a seizure and feels a set back with us, been 9 weeks post op thanks so much for your reassurance posts x

Hi Tara I had part of my skull removed then had a metal plate put in then I got a infection and had the metal plate removed then got a new one in on the 5th of May and this time no infection so still have it in so all in all I am doing well so the doctors say I wish your mam well in her recovery xx

Tara, there are lots of reasons that there can be pressure on the brain, one is if her ventricles were affected by the initial bleed then this can cause a fluid build up but sounds like they will Try and work out what is going on and find the right solution for her.

I had to be readmitted after my SAH , I had coiling and also surgery to place a drain to relieve fluid pressure when I haD the bleed ( or complicated Hydrocephalus it is called I think) and was in for well over a month initially but then was readmitted 3 months after discharge when it was obvious pressure was building and eventually required a permanent solution for Hydrocephalus with a VP shunt . I can’t speak for having a craniotomy but later surgery sometimes is the only option with complications and if it’s helps mum then it’s for the best.

take care, sending best wishes. 

Cheer up Tara, (hard to do but so easy to say !!!)

I wasn't going to tell you this but when I had mine, I am told I got ventriculitis, got over that then UTI followed by Sepsis.  

One year later shunt fitted as in cuckooland xx

Had epilepsy since puberty but nothing to do with SAH and were getting fewer. Then along comes SAH and floors me.

What I am trying to say is it can be a long process so never give up.  My daughter said to my Hubby "Will Mum ever get better Dad?"

My Al said "yes but when !! "  

You take care of yourself Tara as when we get well we are a handful lol. Now Chin up and passes a smile to Tara xxx Use it for down days xxxx

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone - Mum is at home having intravenous antibiotics then we are at the hospital for a review on Friday hopefully the infection has gone- fingers crossed then it’ll be the plate been inserted in a couple of months.

it is like Mum can’t remember the last 10weeks of her life bless her xxx

thanks again for all the reassurance and lovely comments x

Short term memory is well known in SAH patients, I ask hubby "Al did I tell you this" he looks and says "Many times Win " 

I look at him and mouth a rude word  lol xxx I lost a year out of my life which makes me younger so how bad that for an old dear lol.

You take care of yourself and Mum Tara xxxx 

Archived