Headaches and NASAH

Can I ask those of you who have experienced NASAH what your experience of headaches has been? I see many people say they suffer with headaches but lots seem to have coils or clips.

I am 3 months today and still have terrible headaches most days and weird sensations. I had a CT scan a month ago as they were so bad and came on suddenly. It was ok.

I know all brain injury leaves it's mark and that blood irritates the brain and even if it is gone it has to recover, I am just curious if other NASAH sufferers have had similar headaches and for what length of time?

Hello Charlie

Sorry to hear that these headaches are giving you no relief.  As already mentioned in your earlier thread, there are many members who suffer headaches of varying degrees of severity and length post SAH and NASAH.  

Are you keeping well hydrated with plenty of water, and are you resting well throughout your day?  Don`t ask too much of your brain and body in these early days.

The following link gives you access to many comments on how others have dealt with constant headaches. I hope some of the content will be of help to you.

http://web.behindthegray.net/search/?&q=headaches&search_and_or=or

Take care.

Subs

I experienced daily headaches of varying degrees almost everyday for the first few months.  Once they subsided, I started experiencing very sharp headaches in the forehead area.  But they would only last for a minute or two.  Now, I still get more headaches in the front part of my head, when before the NASAH, almost all of my headaches were more back of head/neck pains.

Hang in there.  You are still recovering and your brain may still be filtering blood from your bleed.  I hope it will get better for you soon.

Chris

Thanks Subs yes drinking lots of water and getting lots of rest. Have been incredibly lucky with family and work support. 

I was just curious as I notice a lot of those who refer to headaches mention having had coils. 

Thanks Chris it's good to hear from others with NASAH what their  experiences with this is before seeing my neurologist again.

Hi Charlie,

I'm about 8 months on from my NASAH and as yet I haven't had a day without a headache, it is no ln Get there all day everyday but it appears at some point. At 3 months I was still really suffering, and had a feeling like my brain was being tickled from the inside but these feelings have lessened. 

I do occasionally get a sharp pain that reminds me of the thunderclap headaches but these seem to fade after a couple of seconds, just long enough to start my heart racing in fear.

The pain I get now is mostly at the back of my head, I liken it to having worn a too tight hat for too long. When the headaches get worse they do tend to stay at the back of my head, this is new for me as before all the pain would have been front of head. 

Any stress, pressure changes and extreme fatigue all trigger much worse pain.

I do do long for the day that I don't have a headache, but I try to hang on to how much better the pain is. 

Good luck ,

sarah 

Hi Sarah

I bet you are sick of the headaches! 8 months is a long time without a day off. 

I know exactly what you mean about the too tight hat, I feel like I always have one on. I have days when there is light at the end of the tunnel but the headaches soon make it forgotten. I have been working on mindfulness and use the Calm app as a way to distract myself from my head pain.  Not sure if you have tried it but its really kept me nearly sane.

Thanks

Charlotte

I know we can’t give med advice. It s reassuring that you had a CT scan and it was normal. Get lots of rest and I mean close your eyes. Stay away from the devices while you are in bed as well. If you have fevers, change in vision, headache with vomiting, confusion etc then you need to go to the er/A & E.

Try mindfulness meditation. It calms the mind. I m doing at ten day retreat in October at international meditation center here in Maryland. There s one in the UK.

I ll be turning off my phone this time as well. It s totally shutting off everything and I can’t wait to do it. I have been to many places but there s nothing like a vacation for your mind and it works so I keep going back and there are people who keep coming back. I believe it is a good deed because you are refraining yourself from any thoughts and actions so results has to be good health wise as well.

Whilst I am sorry that you are still suffering with the headaches you have no idea how happy I am that someone understands me whe. I describe the pain as being like a too small hat - most people just look at me like I'm mad.

i do try to limit my screen time, but as I find my concentration is poor I do seem to spend a lot of time reading Twitter - it seems to suit my butterfly brain. I will look into the Calm/meditation apps tho - any specific ones that you recommend? I'm very new to these.

I had a NASAH May 2017 and I still get headaches.  

I never had anything weird prior to my bleed.  I didn't have any warning, no headaches that were of concern, never a migraine, nothing.  

Post bleed I get them all and when they come on they are quick and relentless.  

I now get migraines, clusters, tension, sharp pains etc.  my bleed was a vein that burst while I was running and it resolved itself so I had no surgery and thankfully no complications after.  

I've managed them a lot through acupuncture and doing what everyone else on here says, water and rest.  I babystep everything.  Good luck to you!

Hi, 

I like Krislwal had my NASAH May of 2017 which was followed by vasospasm 4 days later.  I never had a headache issue prior to this.  I did not have a clip, coil or shunt.  I had an angiogram that put verapamil into the vessels, it was helpful.  My current headache situation is good as I am on Amitriptyline 20mg at bedtime.  I would like very much to come off as I have glaucoma and it is a drug best not taken by me for that reason.

I came off once, slowly, and slowly the headaches came back badly, making me miss work.  I am going to attempt this again soon, with my MD's follow up, hoping she can guide me to a better result.

To all suffering with headaches, you have my empathy, they are miserable.

Thanks it is very difficult knowing what is for the best and if the drugs are part of the problem. I am seeing my neurologist again next week so I guess I will try to figure it out.

I am sure anxiety does not help so I hope that improves with time and counselling and then my headache ease as a result. 

Sometimes navigating the aftercare feels such a stress itself. Is it best to use drugs or natural? Should we try homeopathic? Should we see a neuro psychologist or a counsellor? I wish they gave better guidance when we are discharged 

• 2 weeks later...

I try everything!  I'm more for alternative methods because I don't do well with meds so acupuncture has helped me a lot with anxiety and headaches.  I also got to a therapist as soon as I was able to get out and have been going every week pretty much since (15 months out).

I YouTube meditation stuff and do a bunch of mind/body mantras and stuff like that.  I also use essential oils and whatever else alternatively that I feel helps or makes me feel better.  If I need meds or I'm worried about something then I consult my doctor as well.  You have to find a balance/method that works for you I guess.  Good luck to you!

Hi,

I had a NASAH five years ago and still have headaches.  They were worse in the beginning but I still wake up with one almost daily.  I've noticed if I get up and get moving it helps me tremendously.   But, I go through cycles where I feel wierd for a couple weeks.

The other day I was in a meeting and out of nowhere I had an incredible dizzy spell like someone poured water inside my brain. Very much unnerved me.  I hate it but I knew it was not a bleed.  It scared me though.    My eyes hurt all of the time but I've learned to live with it.  It is what it is.    What I do know is lack of sleep really puts a hurting on me.  Try and rest and take it slow.

iola

Archived