Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...


By registering with us, you'll be able to view our forums in full as well as discuss, share and private message other members of Behind The Gray. Why not join us now?


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

15 Good

About ChrisH

  • Rank


  • Location
    Bournemouth, United Kingdom

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Hi Laura, It depends upon how the policy is worded. Most companies define it as 'loss of income' rather than 'loss of earnings'. You could argue that the term 'income' covers the entire household income rather than just his wage. Again, the FOS are quite handy in this respect as they can look into policy wording - and will generally pick up on any irregularities/vague wording. Chris
  2. Just thought I'd add, a brilliant website for asking this question is at: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/ Let me know how you get on. Regards Chris
  3. Hi Louise, I used to handle complaints related to payment protection policies on a regular basis in my previous job so should be able to give you a bit of advice on this one. Did you take out the policy prior to your SAH? If you did, the symptoms are not related to a pre-existing condition and your claim should have been upheld. However, if the policy was taken out post-SAH, all is not lost. I admit that I haven't read thoroughly into your background - but if you are unable to work through fatigue/depression, you may be able to make a claim as a 'mental health problem' (apologies about the wording, that's how it's officially known in the insurance world!) You'd need supporting evidence from your GP in this case. Can't help too much on this one - have you tried getting the first named person on the policy to claim for loss of income? I've just googled quickly for 'subarachnoid haemoorage' along with 'ppi', and several of the major insurers defines a stroke as: Stroke A cerebrovascular incident producing neurological sequelae and causing at least 25% impairment of whole person functioning, as measured at 6 months after diagnosis. This requires evidence of: * Infarction of brain tissue; or * Intracerebral or subarachnoid haemorrhage; or * Embolisation from an extracranial source. Payment protection policies are notoriously hard to claim on. From memory, only 4% of people will ever claim on a policy, and from this small percentage, only one in four will get paid out. My advice to you is as follows: 1. Attempt to claim following the company's guidelines. 2. If the claim is rejected, forward a complaint to the company in writing by recorded delivery. In this letter, advise them that should you not receive a satisfactory response, you will request assistance from the Financial Ombudsman with respect to your claim. In accordance with the Financial Services Authority guidelines, they must issue at least an initial response to you within fourteen days and complete their investigations within forty-five days. 3. If your complaint is not upheld, ask the insurer for a 'Letter of Deadlock'. This letter is required for you to invoke the powers of the Financial Ombudsman and simply advises that neither party could come to an agreement in respect to your claim. 4. Invoke the Financial Ombudsman (see http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk). They are a government run organisation that will arbitrate between both parties to yield a satisfactory resolution, generally in your favour! The process is a little long and drawn out, but they are one of the most powerful ways of getting a complaint resolved in your favour. And most importantly, keep copies of everything received and sent to the insurer. Ideally, deal only in writing so that you have a log of all correspondence. Generally, most call centre workers do not have the greatest understanding of their products - but when you deal with the back office staff (by writing in), you'll generally get a better response. By the way - I noticed in another of your posts that you are trying to claim through an insurer to pay your mortgage instalments. Are you aware that you should be able to claim for this via the benefits system? I'm afraid that I don't know the specifics, but in my previous line of work I dealt with a large number of cases where people were having their mortgages paid for by the DSS (DWP?) - they would only pay the interest for the mortgage, but the company I worked for were happy for this to happen and expected no additional payment from the customer until they were able to work again. Hope this helped - if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Chris
  • Create New...