Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Everything posted by Platino

  1. Thank you Win! I would love for you to write more...advice is always welcome...sometimes it's the only thing that makes sense .
  2. Hi there Win! Thank you for your support. My husband told me the other day that he has never seen me laugh so much as I do now. Addy said she has never seen me laugh myself to tears so many times...ever. So maybe I just have some down days. I do think that recovery is a long process and I get blue when it goes slower than I would like, or I find another thing that I have to pace myself at. I am bull headed, and don't quit until I have to Everyone here has had a tough row to hoe, but yes...we have all made it. I will smile every time I think of your kind words! Have an amazing day! P.S. I can't wait for the song... but in the interim here is one for you. "My head keeps spinning I go to sleep and keep grinning If this is just the beginning My life is gonna be beautiful"
  3. July 9th, 2014. A-day. The day after our anniversary. I was 49 years old, thin to average build, and a smoker, had been for about 35 years. I had been having some pretty beastly headaches for the last three weeks. That morning was like every other, I woke up with a head ache. And like every other morning, I showered and got ready for the day. I went to see my chiropractor, now most times this offers relief but not for the last two weeks..I should have listened to my body. I also think as a medical professional he dropped the ball too. After my appointment I went shopping with my youngest daughter (Adeline 20). My head hurt more and more. Addy suggested that I eat and have some water, so I did. No relief so we came home. By the time we got home I had started vomiting. Addy went to change her clothes and in the few minutes she was gone, I found the floor. She came back and asked if I had fallen, I said no, but I felt like I was having an aneurysm. Addy helped me up and took me to the couch along with a bucket since I was still barfy. I complained about being hot, so she went to my room and got me looser clothes. Addy then called my husband to tell him there was something wrong...he was five minutes from home. He came in to talk to me and I made no sense so he had Addy call 911. We are right down the hill from the fire hall so it was only a five or ten minute wait. The EMTs were sure I was drunk. When my girl lost it on them and told them I had not had a single drink or any drugs. They then decided I was dehydrated, again Addy said that was not the case. So they stood me up and made me walk out to the ambulance (which I can't believe!). My husband and daughter were to follow in our car. Not three minutes in the ride the ambulance pulled over and the driver got out and into the back. My family was having a fit now. I think I had a seizure, because my clothes were cut off me. I arrived at the first hospital where they put me in a trauma unit and put me in a coma. My husband and all three of my daughters(Melissa, 28 and Cynthia, 24) and my in-laws were there by now. the doctors spoke to Addy about our day, and by process of elimination decided to transport me to a second hospital with a leading team of neurologists. When I arrived, they sent my family to the family room to wait. I think at one point there were over 20 of my family in the family room. They sent in a grief councilor to speak with my family before they spoke to a doctor, it scared the daylights out of them all. They were told that the chances of my pulling through were two - three percent. My bleed was huge and they would do their best. I had one surgery that day, and a second one the next morning. I, being the world's best patient was extremely violent. I had fourteen IV's and things poked into me, arms and legs were a mess of hoses. I also had two large holes in my head, one of which was the EVD. I ripped all the hoses out of my head, arms, legs and chest. Then I ripped off my hospital gown and started to head-butt the nurses..screaming the entire time. Can you picture it? I told my husband he was horrid and I was going to divorce him when I got out of there, I said the meanest things to my kids...breaks my heart. So they sedated me and restrained me. I don't remember doing any of this. I was ten second Tom from 50 first dates. I would ask why I was there and before they were done explaining to me, I asked why they would do this to me, what have I done...and on and on it went for about three days. There tried to move me from ICU to the neurology ward, but I took a turn for the worse and went right back down to ICU where I stayed for sixteen days. In those sixteen days, all I wanted was to go home and to see my dog. I got to go home with restrictions. No driving, no alcohol, no getting my heart rate up for three months. Addy quit her job, and missed a semester of university to stay home with me. I turned 50 sixteen days before my three month check up...no wine on that day. I had cut my beautiful long auburn hair short and dyed it platinum blonde in honor of turning 50. The OR nurse didn't recognize me. She told me that I was the neurology wards miracle because no one in the ward thought I would make it. But I was cleared, I was now able to drive, fly and do things again. I am approaching my first anniversary and I have to say I'm okay. I still have a lot of headaches, can't do yoga and have some deficits that I am trying to work around or with. I am a non smoker now, and will never put a smoke to lips ever again. My husband quit the day I came home, and my middle daughter quit too. I can't believe my grandkids had a grandma that stunk like that!! I am angry, confused, guilty, a little sad and I am blessed. But I am here. Recovery takes a long time, and I don't like to sit still. I am trying to accept the new me. I am trying to get my drive back. I am going to do this, and I'm going to make it a trip to remember. Next time I'm going to listen to my body better!
  4. I have my husband and three daughters to be thankful for. During my hospital stay in ICU, the four of them refused to leave my side...driving the nurses crazy I'm sure. My girls are like Grizzly bears when it comes to protecting me and their family. I won the husband lottery. He is a big gruff looking biker type dude with the softest most incredible heart and soul. I can't even express what he means to me. I told him that a weaker man would have run (when I can get my thoughts together I will write my story and the reasons why.). He says he would never run and it makes me love him more. As Winb143 says, I cry when I talk about him! I cannot forget to mention my in-laws. My father-in-law has dialysis 3 days a week, but yet my mother-in law-came to hold my hand every single day. The very best to everyone!
  5. Bored, I think not! Sort of funny though, my daughter saved my life also. Called her dad to come home and called 911. Glad you are doing well!
  6. Hi there Ametrine, I also have this same type of thing you are describing. Very quick to rage, not anger, rage. And if I latch onto something in my head...nope, can't let it go until I am satisfied it has been dealt with. My SAH happened on July 9, 2014...coming up on a year ago.
  7. Platino

    Endovascular Coiling

    Where I am, our hospital offers a support group that I have attended with my husband since I was able. They have brought in the coil suppliers, pharmacists & spiritual leaders. I have seen the coils and handled them. All the coils are designed to turn when they leave the catheter. We were also told that the average rupture requires approximately five coils. I thought it was one of the neatest things I have ever seen. Our group leaders have done an amazing job letting us know what has happened, that you are not alone and that there are folks to help you deal with all of the side effects of SAH.
  • Create New...