Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Kay

  1. Hello, I know I'm a bit late to the conversation here but I too have had a child after having two SAH's. My neurosurgeon said I was fine to have her naturally and so that's exactly what I did, Hope all is going well.
  2. Just letting people know that it's a girl!!! so excited, still cant quite believe it really
  3. Hi Joe, Glad you have now found this place in order to get the support and understanding you need. It's funny how the doctors so involved in SAHs seem to forget that our short term memories are very impaired at first, and most of the stuff they tell us we wont remember, I feel they should really try and pass on important information to the family members as well. I think we have all been there with the 'you look fine' now so you should be 'back to normal' assumptions. What is normal pre SAH may differ wildly from what it will be post SAH, only you will be ab
  4. ? I am currently feeling quite proud of myself, just completed my first shift back at work, admittedly it was for only 4 hours, but considering its been 17 months since iv'e been there I don't think I did too badly. I'm surprised that I don't feel too knackered either, thought I'd feel like sleeping for a week afterwards.
  5. One of the best things about BTG is that you are now not alone in this. You will always have here to come to, being able to talk to people that understand what you have been through really does make a huge difference. it's a very emotional thing that you have been through, so try not to be too harsh on yourself, give yourself time to adjust and come to terms with everything first. All the best x
  6. Finding that balance between rest and building your strength back up is very trial and error. Maybe you could try and take a note of how long she can do activities before getting tired and setting that as her maximum limit for now and then have a rest period. I'm pretty sure that I really didn't do much for at least the first 3 weeks after getting out of hospital, after enforced bed rest it can take some time just to get used to being able to get up and move about again. After that I think I did things in 15-30 minute bursts with rest periods (which usually included naps) of half
  7. Thank you everyone, we are so excited. After everything that happened last year, it is so nice having this as the new main thing in our lives. Due date is boxing day, it would just be my luck if it comes a day early though, meaning another Christmas day in hospital. Here is our 12 week scan, took an hour to do, because baby decided it liked being upside down and would't budge for ages.
  8. I believe an update is long overdue. I had the appointment with my neurosurgeon on the 19th of March, everything is good, he wanted me to have an MRI and CT scan, just to double check that everything had settled back down around where the cyst was in particular. I was unable to have either scans because I found out I'M PREGNANT, we are absolutely thrilled, I'm now around 13 weeks. I had a letter from my neurosurgeon congratulating us and saying not to worry about the scans that they were in no way urgent and can wait until after the birth. ?
  9. Absolutely amazing that you managed to do the London Marathon so soon after a SAH, that is hugely positive to have achieved that. It should help to give you real belief in yourself, I'm sure you can now achieve anything you put your mind to.
  10. O' Win you do make me smile. I find this topic really interesting and no doubt like everyone else immediately went off to do some research on it and found this article that gives a brief oversight of it http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/nutrients-needed-keep-arteries-veins-strong-5002.html
  11. I was originally taken to Basildon and then likewise transferred to Queens. They were fantastic at Queens, both times, especially my neuro team who were all absolutely amazing, I could not have asked for better (I do suspect everyone must think this about there own neurosurgeons though, it's hard not to). The nurses on the Sahara wards were also fantastic, I feel very lucky to have had such great care.
  12. I am so glad you are doing so well Sophie. You have clearly embraced the experience and come out with a hugely positive outlook on life, not an easy thing to do.
  13. Hi Charlotte, just wondering if that was Queens Hospital Romford? I too got rather overwhelmed after finding out the statistics, so your definitely not alone there. For me the anxiety has certainly eased over time thankfully. You are still very early on in the recovery process, so please don't be too harsh on yourself. I know you want to be proactive and that is great, just also try to allow your brain healing time, that may help a bit with the head pains.
  14. Hi Mark and welcome to BTG. I too am just over a year after my original haemorrhage. How are you finding things now, if you don't mind me asking.
  15. I still can't believe it's now been a whole year. At first I was a bit scared of this day, but it's really not been too bad, nothing scary or dramatic happened, it turned out just like every other day.
  16. Thank you to everyone for all your understanding and encouragement. Hopefully this is just a glitch brought on by the upcoming anni-versary. Some sort of counselling I think might be a good idea at this point I really like the sound of that, I need to keep that in mind, very proactive. Something else I really need to do is make myself go out more. I did actually go out for lunch today with a friend, almost cancelled it but forced myself to go through with it, glad I did, despite the chilly weather. It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one who's freaked out a
  17. Next week will be my 1 year anni-versary, which feels really strange, it feels too soon. I suspect this is mainly because of being in hospital over Christmas and new year so I feel like I haven't been out of hospital that long, I'm only just getting used to the fact that it's 2018. Things are only really now beginning to dawn on me, over the last week the thought keeps popping into my head that last year I almost died twice, it feels too big to deal with at the moment, but I really do need to start dealing with it. I need to start getting my life back on track, I feel it's time, bu
  18. Thank you, that was a really lovely post to read, very uplifting. I haven't even reached my first anni'versary yet, but I do hope when I reach my 14th I can be just as positive as you about it all. Thanks
  19. Hi Kathleen and again welcome to BTG. There is a wealth of support and information on this site, so glad you managed to find it. If you need pain meds, make sure you get them, ignore what anyone else thinks about it, they haven't been through what you've just been through, they have no idea. I'm also just going to restate the staying hydrated, make sure you are drinking enough every day, this helped me enormously, I noticed if I forgot to drink anything one day, the next day would be awful, my head would hurt I wouldn't be able to concentrate and I'd be more tired than usual.
  20. Kay


    It's very hard at first. I remember I would start to do something and then have to stop about half an hour later, it can be frustrating, so in the end I self imposed a half an hour limit on anything I did. I could only listen to an audio book for half an hour and then I would have to change tasks or take a break. There is a topic on here that might interest you, it's called 'What hobbies/activities do you do and do you think it helps post SAH?' Might give you some suggestions. Hope it helps.
  21. Kay


    I turned 30 last year. We are relatively young to be suffering from strokes, but that also means we are better able to recover from such an event (I'm just passing on what my neurosurgeon told me). Just recover first, don't start thinking about work yet, there are so many stories on here of people going back to work to soon and regretting it. Please just make sure you are genuinely ready before taking that big step.
  22. Scan done. We treated ourselves to a McDonald's on the way home, so we've just finished eating that, have not had a McDonald's in so long. Very tired now though. I think I've had the lights show every time, at least the ones I can remember.
  23. Glad everything went well Tina. Mine isn't until 7:30. I think at this point I've had 7 angiograms now, it always sends my vision a bit funny ,I assume it's the result of the dye going through the veins in my eyes, I always have a pretty lights show as well.
  24. Thank you Win and Chelle, and good luck to you too Tina. Definitely a nice cuppa afterward, actually I think a nice cuppa now wouldn't go amiss, think I'll get Joe on to it.
  25. Going for my follow up CT scan tomorrow, fingers crossed the results declare everything is fine, no more stuff to deal with or sort out.
  • Create New...