Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Tinaw

  1. I was wondering myself why I was told that one year of blood thinners would be enough. The explanation they gave me at the time was that after about a year the mesh of the stent would have merged completely with the tissue of the blood vessel and that the risk of a blood clot would be smaller after that. Maybe there are different kinds of stents? Also, I'm in Sweden, so perhaps the recommended treatment is different here. /Tina
  2. Hello Ann, I'm sorry to hear you have to go through this. I have had stents put in as one of my two aneurysms was in a tricky place and they were not able to coil it. For six months after I ate two blood thinners, and for six more months just one blood thinner. After that I have not had to eat blood thinners at all. One stent was put in while I was sedated so I don't remember that, but the second stent was put in during an angiogram before I was discharged from the hospital after I had my bleed. I didn't feel much at all while they were doing the procedure and it was r
  3. Thank you for taking the time to reply. It's good advice to express my fears before the angiogram and not after. The silly thing is, I actually met my councelor just last week and when she asked me how I felt about the angiogram I just said that I felt ok about it, that I had done it before, so I knew what to expect, etc. Little did I know how I would feel just days later. With that said, things have settled down a bit now. I had about ten hours of sleep last night, which is highly unusual for me, and today I feel more positive again. Worry is exhausting.
  4. It has been almost three years now since my SAH, and I feel that I have come quite a long way in my recovery. Fatigue is still a problem, but it’s slowly getting better, or maybe I am just getting better at adjusting my pace. I have recently been able to exercise more without having to rest up too much afterwards, which has been very helpful. Yesterday I had my first angiogram in two years, and this has left me so upset and emotional afterwards and I just can’t get back to a positive state of mind. I have had a few angiograms before, so I knew beforehand that it would b
  5. Fantastic news, Kay! Congratulations.
  6. Hi, I specifically asked my consultant about this as I have found acupuncture really helpful in the past. She said it would be perfectly safe. Since then I forgot about it, so I never actually went to my physiotherapist to have it, though.
  7. I had two aneurysms, one was embolised using both coils and a stent, the second one was so small that it wasn't possible to use coils, so they only used a stent. I have been told that the doctors were worried about the procedure beforehand, and I was kept in an induced coma for a while as they decided what to do. But once the embolisation was done, I was told it was successful. A follow up angiogram a few months later confirmed that the stents were doing their job, and no further procedures would be necessary. I will get another angiogram but only in a couple of years'
  8. Thank you, some great advice and encouragement again! I know that my girls will be more keen to help out if there is some sort of reward at the end, so I will absolutely try that. A colleague of mine suggested this mobile phone app for children where you can list things they can help out with, and you also have the option to add small rewards, for example a pound for hoovering. So when they do something on the list, they can just open the app, tick that off the list, and they instantly see how much they have earned. I don't know if I will try it, but I think my girls would find it
  9. Thank you so much for your support. Your comments have made me see a few things more clearly. Most importantly, I do not want to end up back in hospital, and from what my body is telling me right now, that is where I might end up. I have kept pushing it for a while now, and have been wanting to cope so badly. So, I realize now that a lot of the pressure comes from myself and as you said Daffodil, my wanting to be able to do it all, like I was used to before the bleed. I have been encouraging my girls to do more at home, and they have been, actually, but I also realize that constant
  10. At the moment I find myself really struggling again. I am 11 months out now from my bleed, and only returned to work three months ago. I work 10 hours a week at the moment, with Wednesdays off. At first this went very well. I felt like I had a life again, seeing my coworkers and also getting out of the house for more than just a walk. I am very fortunate, because I have no pressure whatsoever from work that I should do more than I am managing at the moment. Also, I have the support of a health care team (a doctor, an occupational therapist and a counsellor) with which I
  11. Hi Stephen, I'm sorry that you are not feeling well. When I was discharged from hospital the doctor told me to look out for two things, one was increased pressure in my head and the second was actually feeling the need to pee a lot. He told me that this could be the body trying to get rid of excess fluids in the head. So I would absolutely go see a doctor. I hope you feel better soon!
  12. I understand what you mean, Kay, for me it took a good while before it dawned on me what had actually happened. My husband tells me I was quite cheerful right after getting out of hospital, which certainly wasn’t the case a few months afterwards. It has been a rollercoaster of emotions since. I still haven't had my first anni-versary. But in these 8 months since the event I have learnt that it’s ok to feel emotional and sad about what happened. The important thing, I think, is that it doesn’t feel like that every day. If that is the case, I would definitely see a councellor as Daf
  13. Thanks! I was also expecting the lights show, as I experienced that during my last angiogram, but this time I didn't react much when the dye went in. I thought it might be because the brain has had some time to heal, but I have no idea. Again, good luck with your scan tonight!
  14. Thank you everyone, everything went pretty smoothly even though angiograms aren't my favourite. Now it is definitely time for a nice cuppa, and probably some chocolates to go with that :). A couple of weeks of waiting for results, though, but the doctor told me that everything seemed to look fine at a first glance. Hope your scan went well too, Kay!
  15. Good luck for tomorrow, Kay! I am going for my follow up angiogram (also tomorrow) so I feel the same way, hoping that everything is fine. Fingers crossed!
  16. Hi! I have had stents put in, as well as coils, this was 7 months ago. I believe that while the coils are metal spirals fitted inside the aneurysm, a stent is an expandable net which is fitted into the artery, to make the wall of the artery stronger, and also to make the blood flow easily through the artery. I had both coils and stents placed by angiogram at the time of my bleed. Because I had the stents put in I have to take blood thinners for a year afterwards, to prevent blood clots from forming. I was told that after a year the stents will have grown into the wall of the arter
  17. Oh, the delusions! Thank you for bringing this up. I had so many in the early days in hospital, and it took me a while afterwards to sort out what was true and what was not. After the SAH they kept me in an induced coma for a few days, trying to decide what to do, as my aneurysms were apparently very risky to coil. During this time, and a few days after waking up, I was often in another world. I genuinely believed that my husband, while I was in hospital, had redecorated our entire house to look exactly like the hospital ward I was in, with screens everywhere, hospital beds etc. I
  18. I had a six hour flight about five months after my SAH, after having checked with my doctor that I was good to go. I was extremely worried and anxious before I went, there is no and had to persuade myself that I was going to be fine. In the end, I am very happy that I went, the sun and rest turned out to be just what I needed to relax and regain some confidence after the bleed. It felt like I got a small part of my old life back, as I have always loved to travel. If your doctor says its safe and if your husband feels up to it, you should be fine flying.
  19. Hi, I just wanted to make an update again if anyone else can be helped by what happened to me. As I said in earlier posts I had been feeling quite unwell for a while, my tinnitus had increased and my ear started to feel full and I couldn't hear too well. Also, I had headaches, I couldn't take a short walk without being short of breath, my legs were shaky and frankly, I was in a state of panic thinking that something was very wrong. All these symptoms I just put down to general fatigue, but I couldn't understand how I could be feeling so bad all of a sudden. Then I received a messag
  20. Thank you so much, Gilly. I do look forward to a time when I won't panic anymore. It is completely draining and really doesn't lead to anything good. And still I have been in a panicky state for most of today. I actually almost went to A&E as I was feeling so bad. Now I am glad I stayed in bed resting instead of waiting endlessly in a hospital, getting even more fatigued. Still feel quite anxious though, but fingers crossed I will get some more sleep tonight. I will try to monitor my tinnitus from now on. I was going to, but it felt ok for a
  21. I just wanted to check in to say that unfortunately I'm feeling very low at the moment. I had three weeks when the tinnitus didn't bother me too much, but in the last few days something happened. As I woke up one morning, I suddenly felt that my hearing had decreased in my bad ear. I felt like I was under water, all sounds became really distorted. Also, the ringing was louder and I noticed I was super sensitive to noise. Even having a shower was too loud for me. My anxiety levels have since then risen, as this feeling wouldn't go away the next day. I went to an ENT specialist in ho
  22. Hello! I think it is very individual when you go back to work. I have been away from work now for almost 6 months and I feel like I am climbing the walls here at home. I have a the support of a brain rehab team at my hospital, consisting of a doctor, a therapist and an occupational therapist and they seem to think that 6 months is a short amount of time to return to work after an SAH (I'm in Sweden so this may be different from what is recommended somewhere else). They keep telling me that returning to work too early may give you setbacks, which you also mentioned that you have hea
  23. That's great, Casey, that you found something that is making the noise more tolerable and that also helps your hearing. I am still trying to sort of monitor in which situations my tinnitus gets worse, as I have only had it for a couple of months now. My tinnitus is tolerable at the moment but I would definitely look in to getting something that could help mask the noise if it gets worse. Thanks for the info!
  24. Hello again, and thanks for your support. I hope your daughter feels better, Win! And sorry to hear about your congenital deafness, Missy67. It is reassuring to hear that the tinnitus gets better over time. I am feeling a lot better at the moment, although the ringing is still with me, sometimes louder and sometimes very low. My mind has been elsewhere for the past week as I just came back from a holiday in the Canary Islands (after having read many posts here about flying post SAH I felt a bit better about it and decided to go for it - the trip was booked before my SAH).
  25. Thank you all! I had my ears checked and there was nothing visibly wrong with them, then again I did not expect there to be. Luckily, the noise is not constantly loud, but mostly a background noise, and I am learning not to panic when it does increase in volume. But I am surprised at the wave of emotions that I have felt since my ear started to bother me. I get these memories from being in hospital, waking up from being in an induced coma for a week, seeing my family again and their worried faces. It makes me so sad, that I made them so worried, especially my young daughters. I gue
  • Create New...