Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'treatment'.
I am in the unenviable position of having to make a decision about whether or not to have my aneurysm treated for the third time. Unfortunately, decision making is not my forte😨 Background is that in November 2008 I had a subarachnoid haemorrhage caused by the rupture of an aneurysm situated at the apex of the basilar artery in the brain stem. This was coiled 11 days later and again a year later. Since then, I have had this aneurysm, which has a wide neck, plus another unruptured one, monitored annually. Yesterday I finally had a meeting with the consultant neuroradiologist following the MRI which I had 5 months ago and also had to chase it up twice. What he suggested was to have more coils put in the base of the aneurysm where there is a gap and at the same time insert a flow diverter which, as the name suggests, diverts the blood away from the aneurysm eliminating risk of rupture which currently stands at a risk of 1% per year. All this appears to be a sensible idea but to achieve this I would need to put myself through a procedure which fills me with fear. I was also told there was a 5% chance of having a stroke during the procedure. Although I've turned this round to a 95% chance of not having a stroke it's not made my decision any easier. The other option is doing nothing now and continue being monitored on an annual basis which presumably is just delaying the decision. Anyway I came away from the meeting having agreed to an angiogram being arranged so he can get a more detailed picture of what he's working with. He also said he would get a second opinion from some consultant in Birmingham before going ahead with any procedure because of it's complexity. I have asked for another meeting with him after the angiogram before I try and make a final decision. Sarah