Coiling of Untreated Aneurysm

Hi all,

I have been absent for a while as I have just got back from my holiday to the Cook Islands, which I might add was just what I needed. I am feeling so much better and I conquered my fear of flying after the SAH. I had no problems at all with flying other than the usual ear popping that I tend to suffer anyway. And my son's wedding was just beautiful.

Anyway to get onto the subject at hand. I am going in next week to have my untreated aneurysm coiled and was wondering if anyone has had an aneurysm coiled that hasn't been associated with a SAH . Will the operation be the same as the same as the one I had with the burst aneurysm? i.e. Will I be in hospital for the same length of time, will I be on the same medication - nimodipine, heparine drip etc, and will my recovery period be a long slow one like I have been experiencing with the last coiling.

I am hoping that this will not be a set back to my recovery as I have been improving daily and I am just starting to feel a bit more 'normal' even though I do have the odd headaches and twinges. I am also starting to feel a lot less anxious about things and have started to gain more confidence with my driving. I do have to have someone with me when I drive but at least have been able to drive myself to work.

I think that if I have an idea of what to expect I will be better able to deal with it and I know that someone here will be able to put my mind at ease.

Hugs

Hi Debbie,

Sounds like you had a wonderful time at your son's wedding! Glad that it all went well, especially the flight .... another hurdle over with! :wink:

Perry Cornish has just had an untreated aneurysm coiled, so hopefully Perry will be able to help you.

I believe that you're only in hospital for a few days re:coiling op. As for recovery, I wouldn't think that it would be anything like the recovery from the brain haem, as it's the bleed/rupture that causes complications.

Wishing you the very best of luck and it's good to hear that you're feeling better in yourself..... xx

Hey Debbie

I remember watching the Brain Hospital programme on BBC1 just after my SAH. A gentleman went in to have an unburst aneurysm coiled, he was in and out within a couple of days - whether this is still the way it will be I don't know. Like Karen said, Perry should be able to help you.

Glad that you're not feeling as anxious anymore and that your confidence is coming bacl too.

Hi Debbie

I have had my anneurysm recoiled in sept 08 with more added, don't know where this will be of any help but i was only in 7 days altogether they would have let me out in 5 but they wanted to do extra hearing and eye tests. Like Karen has said because its not a burst you shouldnt be in as long and hopefullu less complications

Glad you had a lovely time away...and welcome back.

Take care

Michelle c

• 1 month later...

I am going in on 4th January 2010 for coiling of an unburst aneurysm.

I am starting to feel a bit nervous and worried that i am going to have the same long haul as i had following the last coiling. I was told after coiling I wouldn't be allowed to drive so have surrendered my licence and it feels like I have lost all of my independence.

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Anne

hi debbie and anne

from what i know the coiling is done through the groin and is not as invasive as a heam perry will give more info i also think celia has had hers done just recently who may give more support to you both and its nice to see you enjoyed your trip to the cook islands and you feel on top of the world

anne its because of the bleed you suffered thats why they asked you to surrender your license im not sure but there are some on here that have regained their license on the first anniversary if they suffer no further episodes i think sweet tina has just got hers back and i think keith bog brush may have just got his back as well and i think neil has as well so there are quite a few on here that have resumed driving you haven't lost your independence your just being pampered and chauffeured around and hopefully spoilt rotten

I feel a bit of a fraud here as I haven't had an untreated aneurysm coiled, I have an untreated annie and as yet it is remaining uncoiled, what I have had recently is my existing ruptured aneurysm re-coiled as it had managed to uncoil itself. I was indeed only in hospital for a very short time, I came home after three days from the date of the recoil, so not long and I gather that is about the time for a coiling of an unruptured annie, as |I asked the medics so that I knew how long it would be if I ever have to have the unruptured one coiled:-DSorry not to be of more help, but if I am anything to go by, the second stint in hospital was much much easier and i have not had any setbacks to my recovery from the original SAH, in fact there are no effects at all!

Edited by perrycornish

Hi Anne,

I had my unruptured anni coiled on Dec 1st. The procedure of coiling was exactly the same as last time only this time it was a lot quicker. Probably because the anni was only small. They wanted to send me home from the hospital the day after but I felt I wasn't ready so stayed in another night. It took me about a week to get over the anaesthetic and even that wasn't bad. I was just feeling a bit out of sorts.

Over here in Australia I wasn't required to surrender my license but I was told that I wasn't allowed to drive for 3 months. To be honest I wasn't capable of driving. I have been on a gradual return to work for the past 4 months and have had people drive me to and from work. It is only in the last 2 or 3 weeks that I have felt confident enough to drive myself. I, too, am a very inedependent person but I have found that if you try and push yourself too hard you only suffer setbacks. So it is best to try and just do things gradually. I learnt that it wasn't so bad having people drive me around. The only thing that was a bit annoying was I felt a bit house bound at times because I just couldn't get in the car and go do things on whim like I used to.

I hope this make you feel a bit easier about your coiling. My best wishes are with you and I will be thinking of you on the day. :)

Hugs

Hi Anne,

I had my untreated anni clipped at the end of November, and was back home after 6 days. As with the original burst anni I had a problem with nausea post op, so was feeling pretty miserable for about 3 weeks after. I'm pleased to report that that seems to have now passed and, other than fatigue, I'm feeling fine now.

I contacted my insurers and the DVLA after the first op. DVLA said as long as my GP cleared me to drive I could do so, and my insurers were fine about it as long as the DVLA were happy. About a month after the first op my GP was happy for me to drive and, to be honest, I really would not have been up to it before then. My Consultant had received the DVLA's request for information by the time I went in for the second op (they take their time!) and said he would wait for 2 weeks after my clipping and then return the form, clearing me to drive. So, everybody's happy, and I now feel ready to drive again.

Good luck with the op Anne, I wish you a short recovery and a happy and healthy New Year.

C

Regarding the driving, I didn't have to surrender my licence after SAH. The DVLA made medical enquiries and gave me the all clear to continue driving after three and a half months. My recent "holiday" from driving was as a result of a TIA which carries a fixed penalty of one month off driving.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all

I went in as planned on 4th January to have another aneurysm coiled. I went to theatre at about 9.15 and the first thing I said when I woke up was "what time is it". I was still in the radiology theatre and it was 12.45. I was returned to HDU and the consultant came to see me where I was sitting reading a book. He said he could see i was feeling okay and that as long as i didnt have any setbacks I could go home the next day (which I was delighted about). They moved me from HDU to an ordinary ward at 1.30am and I went home at about 12 midday.

It was nothing like the one I had with the bleed as I had suffered vasospasm and was on HDU for 2 weeks then an ordinary ward for a week and a half. I was really sleepy tired when I came home (but at least I could sleep). I am going back to work on 24th February on a phased return and can't wait. I have a cognitive therapy appt on 5th Feb and an Endovascular clinic appt on 22nd April. When I was in in October they told me i would have a scan around march time but I havent received an appointment for that - but I am on the case and chasing them up (but still AGAIN waiting for them to ring me back)

Hope everything goes as well for everyone as it did for me.

Anne

Hi Anne

So pleased that everything went well and that you were home so quickly.

Good luck with going back to work, but remember not to push yourself too much and to rest when you can and when you need to - plenty of fluids too.

Take care