Hello, I'm Mel.

MelB

Hello, I was v. pleased to see this website, especially as it is UK based. I had a SAH in 2002, and as a result, had a craniotomy and clip. The op was very successful but I was diagnosed with multiple pulmonary embolisms and was in hospital for 3 weeks. I had to attend a weekly warfrin clinic for 6 months. While getting strong and more confident I returned to my work 6months post SAH on a phased return. After a year I decided to stay on part-time hours.

The effects of the SAH left me with left side weakness and central pain. Seven years on, I still have it, however I was recommended Mindfulness by a pain psychologist when medication did not help me. I have started the Alexander technique as I have a bad shoulder and hip now and I am really positive about its benefits for my particular difficulty. Also the SAH affected me cognitively and emtionally. I have always been ms grumpy but my emotions now can be a bit all over the place. Since going back to work, I have been struggling with writing reports, learning stuff and word finding which is very frustrating, leaving me quite anxious about my work and my ability to cope with a responsible job. So recently I approached my GP and work about my anxiety and the difficulties. It was recommended I get a neuropsychological test done which did underline, that I was having some cognitive problems. This has meant that I could reduce what I do in a weeks work so as to avoid working unpaid hours to keep up. I am an Occupational Therapist and luckily I have good support and understanding from my supervisor. I also have a very understanding partner, who has been extemely patient and encouraging.

I am very happy to be of support to any of you here who going through recovery. We felt very alone once I came out of hospital and I would have welcomed having the internet and a site like this back then.

For anyone who's interested, I have just read a really interesting book called 'A Dented Image; Journey of Recovery from Subarachnoid Haemorrhage' by Alison Wertheimer. It looks at practical accounts of people's experience of recovery from SAH. I'm no critic but it seemed well written and easy to read.

I look forward to getting to know some of you here.

Regards MelB

Edited by MelB
Forgot to add complication post op

And hello to you,

I'm just working out how to put a picture up of me next to my name. Technology bamboozles me....this will give me a wee project to do this afternoon.

I see you are up in Bonnie Scotland Louise. I am from Kinross in Tayside originally. Family still up there so visit often. I hope your weather is not too cold and dreich?

Regards,

MelB

Hi Mel

At the top of the page User CP then edit avatar I think it is......I couldnt use the computer till the OT got me a place at college its my life line at times....

very dreich cold frosty and wet.....I'm on the East side outside Edinburgh.

take care

Hi Mel

Welcome to the site and to the family.

The book you're talking about has the accounts of a couple of members on here in it I believe - thinks its Karen (who runs the site) and Rince (Scott).

Hope you get as much from this site as I have over the years.

Look forward to talking more

Hello and welcome Mel:-D I will start by making you feel good about your chosen career;-) My OT who is on our Brain Injury team was a real inspiration to me and keeps an eye on me even now, nearly two years down the line. She bless her, could see immediately that I needed more than just to be a couch potato! Other professions allied to medecine, seemed to take the approach of well, you don't fall over any more so off you go:confused: