Due back to work 1st March 2010

Morning all, Sorry for the long reply, but wanted to comment on all your posts! (I do hope I have not missed anyone out)

Liz – sorry to hear your return to work has been hampered by your bosses; it sounds awful

Vivien, Tina, Rod, Blondie, Sami – thanks for your support

Mike – thanks, I did send the Brain & Spine Foundation leaflet to my manager within the first 2 weeks of sickness, as I thought it might help both my manager and my colleagues to have an idea what I have been through. I think I need to send it to HR too…

Caroline – My work is very analytical and involves a lot of data entry, and any mistakes can cause a loss of money to our business. I am not in a union, and am not aware of one either, so am unsure where to turn really. :frown:

Liz – thanks for your understanding (and the pm!) :wink5:

Janet – am off to the Dr this afternoon, so will ask him to make a note on my ‘return to work’ note, in regard to phased return :idea1:

:?: Does the Disability Discrimination Act cover SAH?

As I have no specific ‘disability’ – I do have fatigue, headaches, neck pain, and anxiety following the whole episode. I also think I do get some residual left side weakness (following vasospasm during the op) as after sitting for some time on a chair or walking a certain distance my left leg does get heavy and achy (DVT was ruled out).

Debbie – sorry to hear your boss is being a little harsh also. Thanks for advice about getting letter from doctor; I am going to Dr this afternoon so will ask

Louise – yeah 9 till 1 equals 4 hrs as does 1 till 5 :roll: so I would also agree that is not a phased return. Phased means to ‘do something in stages’, ‘to plan or arrange something so that it is carried out in stages’

Michelle – yes I was rather confused at the terminology of a ‘phased’ return also! :crazy:

Laura – I will take it easy, and will have a follow-up meeting in 2 weeks to discuss any additional phased return/part-time hours that may be required.

Perry - sorry to cause you to steam up! :mad1: It’s good to know I am not taking things the wrong way and my anger is justified

Norma - My company think they have been good paying me full pay for the 1st 9 weeks, half pay for the past 2 weeks, then I will get half pay next week when I do 1/2 my hours, then 75% pay for 75% of my hours the second week! Then I have no sickness entitlement until 14th Dec... when I get my ‘10 days sick in a rolling year’ back again - but I will need time for the 12 month angiogram that will be performed in December again...

This is their ‘apparently’ consistent approach to long-term sick, however I now know that another colleague was given 7 months full pay (!!!), then full pay on part-time return (!!!) – Not quite so consistent it would seem…

I clearly work for the wrong company, especially when it comes to having something like this! I did expect some more understanding, but am aware that I need to lower my expectations now.

Again – many thanks to you all, for your comments, tips and support.

Kel x

Hi Kel

This is a pargraph from my latest occy health report.

"As previously indicated the impact of her cerebral haemorrhage is likely to be considered as a disability under the Disability Discrimination Act 1995. There is a requirment to consider reasonable adjustment. Under the remit of this Act individuals regarded as having a disability should also not feel discriminated against or treated less favourably than other colleagues".

I am a member of Unison but I think the union Unite might be the one for you. They'll have a website. Maybe have look for a number and give them a call. Even if your work doesn't recognise unions, the union should be able to give you advice. Looks to me like you maybe getting less favourable treatment to another colleague!

My experience of our HR is that they are supporting my manager. My daughter works in NHS HR and was surprised at the lack of information given to me by my HR department. She also said that companies will do things they are not supposed to because they rely on the person not knowing their full rights.

Good luck and take care.

Liz xx

Hi Kel

We have an occy health department in our NHS trust and it's policy to refer to them. My daughter's work (even though it's also NHS) use an outside Occy health agency. But again there is a policy of referral.

My boss at the time of my SAH called me a few weeks after I came home from hospital. She said she wanted to referr me to OH so that I would get all the support and help that I needed. She also said that even though I had only been in the office a short time (6 weeks) I had become "an integral part of the team"! Unfortunately she's now retired!

Kel my job called for a lot of data input and again accuracy was very important. But I could do it. I was slow at first and got headaches. I would nip to the loo, put the light out and sit in darkness for about 5 minutes. This calmed my brain down and let me continue. It took huge concentration but it got easier week by week. I made 3 mistakes in the two months!!! I still maintain that I'm not any less intelligent but my brain is slower and I have to concentrate harder. The odd time I did do work automatically I would get a bit panicky because I couldn't remember what I'd done!

But there are regulations covering how long you sit at a computer and you should have regular breaks away from it. At first I would stop after an hour and go and do some filing.

Liz xx

Liz

Hi Kel

The answer is "YES" you should be classed as having a disability, therefore your employer must take into consideration the Disability Discrimination Act. when considering your situation.

I didn't consider myself to have a disability either at first but the after effects of the SAH have left me unable to work full-time and even though the fatigue doesn't strike as often, if I overdo things I do end up unable to function properly for a few days.

You are still fairly early on in your recovery so will still be learning what you can and cannot do. It took me 18 months to realise I was overdoing things and get my work/life balance right for me.

Good luck with the Doctor just be as honest as possible and explain about the severe tiredness and fatigue that way the Doctor may well suggest a much slower return to work for you.

Kel,

I completely agree with Janet and my thoughts were the same as Jan's, as in, I didn't consider myself to have a disability ..... it took me quite a while to realise that I did. I tried to return to work at 3 months and again at 6 months .... I was self-employed and I just couldn't do what was expected of me.

Many GP's don't realise the extent or the fall out from a SAH, post recovery, so you need to re-enforce how you're feeling to your GP and be completely honest with him or her. xx

Kel,

I got a similar paragraph to Liz D in my occupational health report, with a note to my manager to refer me back to them if i was having problems with the return to work. I'd definetly reccomend trying to get a referal to your companies version of occupational health if they have one.

M

Hi Janet and Karen

I spoke to the Brain and Spine foundation this morning and she suggested that I do need another week off work; to get my head round moving back to my flat and getting my licence back, and preparing to go back to work.

I went to the doctor this evening, and I explained about my return to work meeting and that I am feeling very anxious and stressed, and he has signed me off for another week (and noted on their system that 'patient does not feel ready to return to work').

He didn't really have much to say about the phased return I have been offered. Not much help really. I feel I have been left to just get on with it, and am unsure which way to turn.

I will give ACAS a call in the morning and see what they suggest.

As much as I do want some normality I feel as though I am expected to do too much too soon.

I feel very tearful at the moment. I don't want to keep getting upset as I know this will affect my BP, and cause headache and neck ache (which I already have - particularly a 'hot' headache in the top of my head), but it seems difficult not to get upset at the moment.

Hi Mike - I might have to see about getting referred for Occy Health. Do all companies do this?...

Kel x

Edited by KelBel
msg for Mike! ;)