Hydrocephalus question

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you :-)

We had the meeting with the consultant and he basically said that as my mum has a mild form of hydrocephlus it was upto us if we wanted to go ahead with the shunt.

He said he couldn't make any guarantees but he thinks she would benefit from having one fitted.

If she doesn't have it done he thinks she will be bed / chair bound for the long term.

After about a week of 'what ifs and buts' we have decided to go ahead with the operation.

My mum, unfortunately, would not be able to make the decision for herself. I'm dreading having to tell her that she has to go back to hospital for another brain operation.

Thing is, I'll tell her in the morning and by the afternoon she will have forgotten.

I'm looking at her now and shes watching 'deal or no deal' and eating a sandwich. I just hope we have made the right decision on her behalf?

Bessie

i think you have done right lin couldn't answer for herself and i had to make that choice and i haven't regretted it i just wish i had contacted the surgeon sooner then i think lin would have retained the improvement she had made and i would do it every day since i think mum may improve as the consultant has said if he didn't think mum would benefit he wouldn't do it you have made the right choice lin woke up so bright eyed and so alert well done and i hope it wont be long before mum comes back to you no matter how small the improvement is you may be pleasantly surprised please keep us informed hugs and cuddles sweetheart

Hi Bessie,

I hope the outcome for your Mum is as beneficial as mine. I have had no regrets from the decision to put my shunt in. It did bring me back from the day dreaming abyss that I had reached. I know we are all different and results will vary but I sincerely hope it improves your Mums condition.

Take care and good luck.

Hi just like everyone else i too think you have made the right decision,Merrill has a shunt and after it was fitted there was a marked improvement and i thought brilliant, Merrill has taken a step backwards just latley so they are sending her for a scan to check that the shunt is working properly,and i think that shows you the benefits they see in the shunt, also somebody has to make the decision and if no improvement is made you have still made the right decision on the info you had, Good luck to you both Rod

• 8 months later...

Hello again all,

So sorry for not posting anything for such a long time.

My mum had the shunt fitted in August 2010 and came home 2 days later. We saw an improvement a few weeks after the operation.

She can now shuffle along with a zimmer frame, although at first she hated using one. She still needs a wheelchair but can transfer from that to a table we her zimmer when we go out to eat.

I told her about this site and she has signed up and wrote her first post a few weeks ago - she could never have done that before her shunt : http://www.behindthegray.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?6399-Your-help-is-needed!-How-has-Behind-the-Gray-helped-you/page4 (reply number thirty eight)

It seems she was having parties while she was unconscious in hospital and we were worrying!

Thanks to all on here for your support over the past year and a half :-D

hi bessie

although a long time coming please give my congratulations to mum on her improvement long may it continue and well done you and dad stick with it girl maybe you could consider seeing if the hospital will offer mum some phyiso to see if it helps mum and possibly give you a break if they can pick her up and bring her home well done bessie hugs and cuddles sweetheart