cotton wool head

Hello Lynz, me too with the symptoms you describe, I'm two years on but still things ain't wot they used to be;-) My GP decided yesterday that he thought my neuro team should do more and he has rattled their cage, we'll see if anything happens!

Sorry not to have reacted before but I haven't been on the board as much as usual for one reson or another but as always I see plenty of folk have said it's OK you are as normal as the rest of us! It's great not to be alone isn't it?

All the best

hiya janet yeah i thnk i got a booklet to expain and that was it . my problem is that this big thing happened to me that i dont remember and i know im never gonna know the reason they shouls raise awareness of sah like they did the advert on strokes

hiya janet yeah i thnk i got a booklet to expain and that was it . my problem is that this big thing happened to me that i dont remember and i know im never gonna know the reason they shouls raise awareness of sah like they did the advert on strokes

I got a booklet too, which was actually really helpful, and all the healthcare professionals telling me I'd had a life threatening event.... The guys from the Stroke Association came round the ward and I was asked if I wanted to meet with them. I did and they were very helpful. SAH comes under the heading of stroke - it's a haemorrhagic stroke!

I definitely want to help raise awareness; that and setting up a local help group are my goals for when I am more able to put some energy into it. I think just talking to people and telling them our story, we are helping raise awareness. Maybe that's why we survived this, so we can tell other people and warn them of the symptoms that are not to be missed.

Wishing you well :)

I only found out just how life-threatening SAH was after coming out of hospital and getting on the internet! Upon discharge I was told to rest and drink 2-3 litres of fluid a day and take my tablets as prescribed. Nothing more, nothing less... until I asked about going back to work, and about driving.

I think that was one of the worst things for me as I like to be well prepared! I would certainly have welcomed a booklet. The Brain & Spine Foundation have a good booklet on SAH which would have been great had I had that to refer to upon discharge.

There is definitely a need to raise awareness, as it can have a devastating effect if the diagnosis is late. I know now that having been misdiagnosed and not getting my op till a week after SAH that the severe vasospasm I suffered during the op may have been prevented had I been diagnosed correctly initially.

Kel x

That's such a shame, Kel :( I am sure that I've come through it so well because I just KNEW something had "gone" in my brain, and made sure I got to A&E quickly. The fact they gave me a CT that same night and transferred me to Queen Sq is means I was lucky. If I had listened to the paramedics and "slept it off" it might have been a different story....

That's the booklet I got and it was very helpful, especially for the family to read because it explains what we go through. You can find it online too, if anyone wants it, on the Brain & Spine Foundation website.

Guest Mike84

Hi Lynz,

I think everyone else has more or less covered everything! Thanks for posting this i'm glad to know its not just me - i had my SAH in December last year and have been fine until a couple of weeks ago when i got the "cotton wool head", fortunately it was only a couple of days before my check-up at the hospital so i was able to be reassured then. Its par for the course apparently...hope you are feeling better soon! :)

M