Update on Richard Hickman

Hi all. Decided to start a new thread as I seem to have lots on the go with various updates so now going to keep it all in one place.

It is now 20 weeks on from Richards SAH. He has been in the Haywood Rehab Hospital in Stoke for nearly six weeks and is doing good. He can now lift his left leg off the bed. I sat in on his physio lasrt week and they had him standing with them supporting him and he had to rock from side to side and take a step forward and back. There is still no movement in his left arm.

The main update is that Rich was back at the Royal Infirmkary today to have his bone flap but back in place (the piece of skull they removed when he was taken ill). He was in surgery for 5 hours which was longeer than I expected but the surgeon is very pleased with how it went. He was on the general neuro ward when I left but has been moved to neuro high dependency overnight as he has a very bad headache and his blood pressure is high so they want to keep a closer eye on him. They have dosed him up on morphine to see if that helps him. Just the 2 remaining aneurisms to go and then hopefully thats it for operations.

Not seeing him now till Sunday night so will update again then.

Take Care, Zoe

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH Zoe lets hope Richard feels better in the morning. Good news thats over! Hope you have some well earned rest tonight try at least to get some sleep. my thoughts are with Richard for a speedy recovery.please give him my best wishes. Love Maggie xxx

Hi Zoe,

Well, that's good news about Richard and HDU will look after him well!

Have got a feeling that it's your birthday today ... if my memory is serving me right!:wink: Going to take a chance and wish you a very happy birthday Zoe! :-D xx

Hugs to you and hope that all continues to go well with Richard.

Lots of love..... Karen xx

Zoe,

Pleased to hear that Richard has had his op today - it's good that they are keeping an eye on him overnight - hopefully he will be back on the general ward by the time of Sunday's visit.

I hope you are feeling ok and can manage to enjoy the last few hours of your Birthday.

Sarah

Hi Zoe and Richard and of course the kids,

I look for the car every time I pass your house, if it is not there I hope that you are at Stoke and Richard is doing well. I look forward to the day when I will see him back in his front garden. Tell him he has to finish that driveway for you. (only joking).:lol:

He seems to be making progress which is good, I know you would rather things happened more quickly. So long as things are improving that is the main thing. I hope he soon recovers from his latest operation. I hope you did get chance to enjoy your birthday a little bit yesterday if what Karen says is true.

Wish him well for me on Sunday, take care.:wink:

Thank you for the birthday messages. It was also our 10th wedding anniversary Thursday so that was special as I got a ring off Rich (purchased by his sister but picked by him).

john - don't be fooled into thinking rich is home in a couple of weeks - his boss is getting the drive finished for me lol

Hi Zoe

So glad to hear things are going well for Rich! Still a long road but steady progress is being made.

And congratulations on your 10th anniversary - how lovely of him and his sister to organise a ring for you! :-P

Hope you and the kids are keeping well

Kel x

Rich came back to the Haywood on Thursday. He had to have a lumbar puncture as they were concerned about hydrocephalus but it was all clear. He is having his 49 staples out on Monday which he said is good as that marks the end of the surgery (at the moment he is saying no to the other 2 aneurisms being sorted even though one is a large one that the surgeon said has evey chance of bursting but I have told Rich we will think about it next year when he is at home - he is scared of having more ops). On the whole he is doing OK - have his next goal planning meeting tomorrow so we shall see what that holds. Still no movement in the left arm and still working on building up muscle in the leg. He is still very depressed but suppose that is to be expected.

Richard had his second goal planning meeting yesterday and it went very well. I am now allowed to take him out in the car. He has been getting travel sick in the ambulances since becoming ill so I can take him on small journeys to get him used to the car. Hopefully, in about 3 weeks we can also start bringing him home on Saturdays. The OT's have out in a request with Telford for a ramp and commode so once this is all sorted he's all ours once a week. Going for surgery last week has put him back a little bit but I know he can get this back pretty soon. Feeling really positive even if he isn't.

Hiya, thats really good news...

I found being home for weekends very worthwhile (hated going back on the Sunday night, but with a moan I did)

Have to say I never felt postive even when Ronnie did, but Im glad that you are onward & forward.....

take care

Well on Saturday I took Richard on his first outing to a McDonalds drive thru. :-P He enjoyed it but then kept moaning cos I hadn't taken him home. :frown: Was supposed to take kids but they have come down with hand, foot and mouth so they can't see him for a couple of days. Managed OK by myself getting him in and out of the car. Commode has arrived so just waiting for the ramp and we can look at bringing him home for a day. :-D

Hi Zoe, thats great news, drove past the house last night and the new driveway looks fantastic.

Give Richard my regards when you see him next and tell him to hang in there he is making progress but to him not quick enough.

Hope the kids recover soon you have your hands full once again.

Take care.:wink:

Sorry the kids are poorly Zoe,what exactly is it they have? Have I missed something? What ever it is you don't need that at the moment and I hope it's not too bad and doesn't zap too much of your energy:frown:

Good that Richard can get home and am sure he enjoyed his visit to Mac D's really,mood swing hugh:devil: Wishing you lots of luck with the kids and hope they are better soon. Take care of you.

Onward & forward that the thing.....

yeh! whats up with the kids:roll: hope alls better with them quickly .

when I got home for weekends I used to moan terribly that Ronnie was taking me back know now that it was for the best so will Richard in time....hang in there....

The kids have this hand, foot and mouth. Luke is OK but Xara still has some blisters. It doesn't make them poorly - its more of an inconvenience.

Thank you to everyone for their continued support - I have no idea how I am staying strong - I definately don't feel it. I remember waking up News Years Day this year thinking it would be a good year. So far:

Mom diagnosed with leukeamia

Richard had his SAH

Luke had meningitis

Grandad has skin cancer

Risk of losing job

I do just feel like giving up but I have the 2 most amazing, adorable children anyone could wish for and they keep me going. Xara has an MRI scan next week to see if she too has any aneurisms so I am praying that she doesn't - my family don't deserve any more bad things.

I'm going to shut up now cos I'm waffling.

John - I'm well chuffed with the drive - kids love it cos its a smooth surface to play on their scooters

Took Rich to McDonalds again today with the kids but travel sickness took over and as we pulled back onto the hospital car park he threw up in the car. Up till that point the afternoon had been lovely. Realised just how hard it is to look after him when he has one arm that doesn't work at all. I was annoyed with him cos thought why didn't you just open the door or reach for the sick bowl but then realised that he couldn't. Had to get Xara to go and get a nurse to come and help cos I also don't deal with sick very well.

On the plus side and ramp has now been delivered so depending on the hospital all is ready to bring him home for the day (they can give him travel tablets cos its an hours journey).

Feeling a bit down today. Told my parents that I feel very resentful - I know this is not Richards fault at all but just worry about what the future holds. There is a new side to Richard now that is not a side I fell in love with and it is taking some getting used to. I sound like such a cow saying these things but perhaps if I get them off my chest I can move forwards. Yes, this is very hard for Richard but I am struggling just as much.

Going to stop there cos am getting emotional and don't want to ruin my laptop with tears.