Epilepsy Advice?

Hi there

I was coiled in August 2006, surrendered licence in September 2006 and had it returned and able to drive in December 2006. Coiling doesn't always mean "not as safe" - infact it's a preferred method where possible as its less invasive and the recovery time, in terms of physicality, are usually quicker with less complications.

It basically would depend on the severity of your bleed, your lasting affects because of the SAH and how you are affected physcially.

Can anyone help with a possible epilepsy question please?

I have an appointment on Wednesday with a neurologist regarding possible epilepsy. I am very worried about this as I don't want to lose my driving licence (on top of all the other stress). Can any one tell me how the test is carried out and will it say I definitely do/don't have epilepsy?

I do not have full on fits, I fall over a lot (I think this is related to my balance?) and am not always sure how I fell and quite often 'fade out', where I think I have just been daydreaming and am surprised that people are looking at me, waiting for a response from me. I am sure this doesn't last more than a few seconds? I am almost 3yrs post SAH and have always thought these falls & daydreaming episodes are just par for the course after SAH. I would be really grateful to hear if anyone else has experienced the same without being diagnosed with epilepsy.

Thank you

Michelle

Hi

I know exactly how you are feeling as I went through the same thing a few years ago. I had strange headaches and then my voice would go. I went to a Neurologist as my consultant thought it was a form of epilepsy. I then went for a EEG at the hospital and was later diagnosed with complex partial epilepsy. The EEG is a cap with electrodes on it and measures your brain activities as far as I know. It doesnt hurt. It sound like you have absenses as well. Prepare yourself as you could well lose you licence for a while. You can try some of the drugs available to correct this. I'm able to drive again and I don't seem to have episodes at the moment. I don't work though and I also try to keep my stress levels in check. I hope it goes well and will be think of you

Dawn

• 3 weeks later...

I found out yesterday after having to assert myself with a neurology secretary (is it just me or do these consultants secretaries also think they are on a par with God? Apparently they are very busy and I would just have to wait - personally I think a month is long enough to wait without any conclusions or any treatment plan) ...anyway after informing her the wait was unacceptable as I had to inform DVLA with no diagnosis.... I was told my EEG was clear - yipee!!! I know this can happen and is not a 100% test. She then informed me it was up to me if I told DVLA about the test or not????? She also asked 'who said you have to inform DVLA' er....that would be the consultant she works for :lol:

Clear as mud....anyway I have written to DVLA explaining that the consultant advised me not to drive but that I thought she had been over cautious and that I did not believe I was medically unfit to drive. Not getting my hopes up but I have my fingers crossed.

Michelle,

Great to hear the results were clear! You're so right about these secretaries getting on their high horses. I feel the same way you do about not being allowed to drive. They don't seem to realise that for us, the waiting is so frustrating and I don't think they even want to know how much of an upheaval it is to have to work around it.

Please prepare yourself though, as I have found the DVLA to be even worse. I applied to have my licence back around a year ago now!! They sent me for several eye tests, ( I had to wait 5 months for one of those ) and have now said I'm to have an assessment in edinburgh. The wait for an appointment with them is 32 -44 weeks!!!!!! Meanwhile I am advised I am not to call them as it just "puts demands on the staff, which in turn, adds to waiting times". Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh.:mad2:

I wish I were the type who knew how to start some sort of campaign against this. But I'm only me. :frown:

Hope you don't find yourself in this position too.

Love Sally x

My son has epilepsy. Absense seizures (petit mal) do appear to be what you are discribing. When my son has them, they can last for 15 seconds to a minute. Absense seizures make it look like the person is un reachable, loud noises, contact, etc will not rouse the person. You will also see lip smacking and eye twitches. If seizures last more than 2 minutes, you need to call an ambulance.

Epilepsy is a diagnosis given to someone who has had two or more seizures. It can be controlled with medication and yes one very annoying part is no driving and swimming with a life jacket on.

Do get checked by the neurologist. But don't despare if it is epilepsy, like I said medication can control it and in some cases people can come off the meds.

Good luck.

Linda

Thank you for that description Linda. I'm sorry to hear about your son and hope he is able to cope well with his diagnosis.

It was absence seizures that were mentioned to me. I do seem to 'daydream' for a few seconds but don't have any of the other symptoms you described. It would be interesting to find out if I would react to a loud noise or touch when it happens (if only you could plan in advance!). I don't think I have epilepsy, I think because of the brain damage that I just switch off if there is too much cognitive overload.

Michelle x