Fit and active people who've had a NASAH - how did your recovery prgress ?

Hi Kris,

don't mourn the old you, celebrate the new you, others around you should adjust to the new you, not you to them. It may take a bit of time, but before you know it you will have gone full circle and be the old you again - or as near as dammit!!

And WinB is right singing is good for the soul 'movin on up movin on out nothing can stop me' MPeople, I think.

I hope this finds you well

David, did you read my profile? that's me to a 'T' - hope you are well, you too Win!!! Hope I didn't miss anyone, my brain is frazzling fast!!

Macca

Edited by Macca

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago (maybe a bit longer, my dates are mixed up) my GP said 'no matter what I want you doing 30 minutes of exercise everyday to balance the mental fatigue with physical fatigue'. She said if I was working to go for a 30 minute walk.

I found it impossible to keep up the physical activity when I was immersed in my full workload. Even though I was only working 3 out 5 days a week it was exhausting and on my days off I crashed. Lifting myself to go get groceries was as much physical activity as I could muster.

Once I began handing off duties at work and my load was lighter I started the walking. It was so tiring, would have to put my head down when I got back. Everything hurt. Not pain from a good workout, this was pain from fatigue.

Now that I'm not working Im on the treadmill or bike and doing yoga everyday. It feels incredibly good!!!!!! What a difference. Those feel good chemicals are active and I have the right kind of pain, the pain that says 'good workout!'.

What's my conclusion? Well... I was never going to be able to do the 30 minutes while I was over stretching my brain. My GP is right in that I need this physical activity, but I had to address the problem of fatigue first. I needed to make changes in my day to allow for proper pacing and right now that means I can't work as much as I was.

Sandi K.

Edited by Sandi K

• 1 month later...

I agree Sandy. Your post stuck with me and as soon as I was off school my goal became walk every day regardless of how I felt. It made a huge difference in how I felt both physically and emotionally. Now I'm even running again a few times a week. Still rocking nasty headaches, but my balance is better, almost everything else that was attributed to the SAH is gone. Now if we could just adios this six and a half month long headache.

I'm so glad to see progress in everyone's posts!

We all take professional advise and then realize that it isn't quite right and have to find what works best for each of us. I so hope that people new to this sight can follow certain people and their posts to glimpse that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Now I can spend all day at the zoo walking around or take a walk around the lake on the same day as yoga class. My energy definitely changes from day to day though so some days are total laze around days. I still have to 'Ramp up' in the mornings and I 'Shut down' at around 8pm even though I don't go to bed until 10:30 or so. However, this doesn't concern me as much anymore as I've grown to accept it.

I think daily meditation has really helped with both mental/physical energy as well. I started that a couple of months ago with the help of a coach...it literally changed in about a week.

Great to see people approaching acceptance while still trying to push the boundaries.

~Kris

• 2 weeks later...

hi Jillbb im Cath im from pontypridd ans was also treated in the heath i had my sah on 16 nov 2011 and came home 11 dec 11 . just to let you know your not on your own. Well done for posting there are lots of helpful people on here and im not a million miles away , It must be hard with a small holding as the work never stops im 40 and work as a nurse ia currently being phased back in 2 day s a week . If you look on the inspirational page on this website there is the letter from my brain it explains alot . drink plenty of water and as a good friend told me its a marathon not a sprint , feel free to ask questions take care love cath x

Hi Jill

Warm welcome to the site so glad you found us.

well done on posting you did it give yourself a pat on the back hun.

Yes drink plenty of water and rest a lot dont over do things even if you want to really its all about resting somtimes we do go back a ways before going forward again 'swings & roundabouts' ups & downs....

but you've found a good place here....

Take care