Gaynor New Member Sept 15 2011

gaynor

Hi Gaynor! Like many others on here I find that staying well hydrated with water keeps the foggy head and headaches more manageable. As for alcoholic beverages, this past weekend is the first in almost a year where I've had three drinks in one night. I find that a social occasion where Ive had absolutely no alcohol will still bring on hang over type symptoms the next morning just because I'm so tired from being engaged and from the noise and multiple conversations. So I've been afraid to indulge. Also, I was afraid to upset my brain. The three bevvies went down ok though and I found myself waking up as if it were a non-drinking social occasion. Same symptoms, no worse.

Pre-SAH I could easily down 4-6 martinis during an evening out. I wouldn't dare do that now. The 3 drinks I had on the weekend were coolers. I don't think I could manage a true hangover on top of the regular day to day symptoms I'm trying to avoid!

Sandi K.

Hi gaynor & welcome to BTG

On the alcohol front I would be wary like Sandy too. On mothers day me & hubby had a row & I ended up drinking a whole bottle of wine (not somegthing I would do pre sah either) but I was peed off with him, The joke was on me though as my hangover lasted 2 days & i felt lousy!!

Waterwise I was told in neuro ward to aim for 3L a day, I did this on the day my dopplers were low enough for them to allow me to come home (measuring the rate of blood flow across my skull/temples) so if I have a bad head day I try to drink lots as this usually helps where the painkillers don't. I do try to avoid sweeteners like aspartame though as they have other health risks so i stick with fruit juice or a high fruit squash. Again I avoid caffinated coffee & if we're out & I have a caffinated coffee I can feel the stimulant effect quite quickly.

I love your sense of humour which remains typically English I think, looking forward to chatting more with you xxxx

Hi Gaynor,

I didn't drink much alcohol before I got ill (that's in the long gone younger days!) but my fave drink to have now and again was archers and lemonade. I've still an open bottle in the cupboard. I've not had any alcohol drink since my SAH in august 2010, to be perfectly honest my head gives me enough pains without having a hangover added. I do know that they say alcohol will effect you worse than how it did before SAH.

I drink tea and occasional latte when I get the chance (my bit of heaven) but I don't have fizzy drinks and things like that. I stick mainly to my water as I find it really does help with the headaches and pressure pains.

Oh well, off I go to fill up another bottle of water!

If you have the bevvies, enjoy, and I hope they don't cause you a too bad hangover!

Take care,

SL Xx

Gaynor, there are a few on here who do still throw a few back. I'm sure they will reply when they see your question. I think they are further along in their recovery than we are though. Maybe it's a matter of testing the waters and seeing what happens, just be careful not to jump in the deep end! Lol!

Sandi K.

Hi Gaynor

I was told about the need to keep up with the fluids whilst still in hospital. Not only do you need to keep hydrated to reduce the headaches but also that your body has to process the blood and it's your kydneys that do this. So the more you drink the quicker the blood is dispered and again this reduces the headaches.

I was also advised not to drink alcohol but I've been told that caffeine is definately out. I have had my left vertebral artery coiled as well as the aneurysm, so I will feel the affects of alcohol very quickly. Also they think my aneurysm may have been caused by an inherited weakness and I was told that the weakness could be there dormant elsewhere. Alcohol (in large excesses!) can fur up your arteries, so this is why they advised me to stay away from it. I had a glass of champagne on our 25th wedding aniversary last year, it took me almost 2 hours to drink it. I could feel each sip going to straight to my head and I felt woozy. I did finish it (eventually!!) but have stayed away from alcohol since then, I just don't like how it makes me feel. I didn't drink a lot before my SAH but did enjoy and glass or 2 (sometimes 3) of red wine. I don't miss it at all now.

If you have problems with your blood pressure then you should stay away from caffeine. Caffeine causes your blood pressure to spike and drunk regulary will cause it to be raised. but I'm assuming that your doc has checked this for you.

Like our SAHs and SAH recovery we're all different and the effects of alcohol are different for us. So as Sandi has said maybe have a little 'taster' and see how you get on! Cheers!