New Member Alison saying hello

alison

So glad to hear Chris is stable this morning. The hand squeezing does sound like a very positive sign!!! :) My heart goes out to you and your boys, and of course, Chris. You've so much to deal with right now hon, make sure you're getting some rest when you can. Keep on doing what you've been - holding Chris' hands, talking, singing, just loving him. Will continue to keep you all in my thoughts - for comfort and healing and some sense of peace during this time.

Big hugs to you Allison,

Carolyn

Lovely to meet you Lynne, thank you so much for the links. I will check them out x I have received a whole bunch of booklets and forms for Chris that I must fill out today to get them back in the post. Chris had been claiming JSA for a year as we had both lost our jobs due to recession. Chris was a builder working on housing developments and I was a teaching and learning support assistant. With all the help I have gained here I am sure I will be able to sort something out :) bug hugs to you all. So thankful to this site it really has been so valuable in preventing me from going roind the twist in these very early stages xxxxxx

Hi Alison,

I'm pleased to read that Chris is stable.

I hope you get some help with the visiting costs. I have an NHS exemption card that covers travel costs when I have to take my son to hospital appointments, but I would definately check your entitlement out as it seems to vary from one benefit to another as to what you qualify for.

I'm sure we're all grateful for any type of hug - so a big, bug, bear hug is reciprocated;-)

Hopefully Chris's stability will continue over the next few days, but don't forget there is always someone around on here to support if needed.

Take care,

Sarah

Hi Alison, I have also been wracking my brains to think how you can apply for financial help…I think St Georges may assist with travel costs, but only for the main carer, so check by making a quick call.

I hope your sons are coping at school. I think it’s worth mentioning to each of your son’s teachers what is happening, never assume they know! My daughter (14 at the time) never mentioned it to hers and my family didn’t notify the school. Perhaps you could write an email/letter to ‘each’ of them outlining what’s happening and request they keep an eye on them and let you know! Your 15 year old will be facing gcse’s shortly, so it’s important his ‘Head of Year’ understands the repercussions and the emotional stress he is under…these are disruptive times!

Relieved to hear Chris is out the other side…and hope now he will improve in leaps and bounds. Hope you’re taking extra special care of yourself and the boys (keeping a sense of humour is vital!) and that your families/friends are being supportive.

Hugs to you and the boys!

Anya xx

Edited by bogbrush
Text formatting removed

Hi Allison

Welcome to the site.

Sorry I missed your thread initially but I am glad that Chris’s op went as well as expected and that he is now stable and squeezing the nurse’s hand is a positive step.

I do hope he is now on the way to recovery and will be able to come on here himself soon enough.

I look forward to hearing more updates from you

Take care

Kel x

You have all been such a comfort to me with your kind words of advice, help and encouragement thank you so much x I foned the hospital today as I could not get up there and Chris has been stable and fine all day which has been wonderful. I am going up tomorrow, can't wait as I miss him terribly. Big hugs to everyone x chat soon x love Alison x

Thank you Jilly and Carolyn for you kind posts. Sadly Chris has deteriorated this afternoon, his brain is very swollen and they have advised me its not very positive at all. He is going to have an op tonight to remove some skull to let the pressure off the brain and remove dead brain. All sounds very grim and I am pretty frightened to be honest. I will of course stay as positive as I can. I don't know how survivable this is and if he does survive the night what sort of condition he will be left in. Probably severely disabled I am told, so I am feeling bleak and lost in my heart.

Thinking of you both x

Arrived at hospital today to find Chris moving his right arm and leg! He is off the sedation now too. He had his right hand wrapped up cos he keeps going for his nose tube. The nurse unwrapped his has so I could hold it, I asked him to squeeze my hand and he did so tight. He was responding by squeezes when I asked him if he knew it was me. I told him I loved him and said squeeze my hand if you love me and he gave my hand the biggest tight squeeze!! I was so so so elated ! The right side of his face is very swollen and his right eye is closed because of this but his right eye was ever so slightly open, I gently opened it a lil more and smiled at him, I felt him look at me for a tiny bit!!. I am so pleased that he knows what I am saying. Such a wonderful positive day. Thank you all for keeping us in your thoughts. Much love Alison

Hi Alison ,

Wow, such brilliant news that he's responding so well today. I bet you're so pleased that you could do a lil skipping dance around his bed! Go on, do that dance!

Keep holding onto his hand honey, and keep talking to him. Remember to reach for the stars for they are your tomorrows.

Take care and keep smiling,

SarahLou Xx

Edited by SarahLou

Awwww Sarah xxx hugs. I know the road is still long, I am a realist but I think because last week things seemed so bleak, chris being coherent in that way made the light at the end of the tunnel seem that much brighter :) I think I may actually get some proper sleep tonight :) the bags under my eyes lately have been enough to get a weeks shopping in I reckon ( chuckles ) xxxx

Just new to this site myself after suffering a SAH on January 5th, 2012, but I wanted to say that I agree with the others that said it's easier to have suffered the stroke myself rather that watch me go through it. This has been so hard for my family, especially my grown children, and in the early days in hospital, I was almost oblivious to it all, what with the good drugs and all....

Anyhow, I'm not experienced enough to comment on Chris' condition, but remember the spirit is very strong and resilient. Keep positive thoughts and remember to take care of self. He will need to draw on your strength soon enough and you need the reserves to provide that for him.

Super (((big hug))) to you. Take care.

Sue

Hi Alison,

I have been following your story closely. I like Chris had a SAH in Sept 2009 and was taken to St Georges where I spent a month following coiling of a ruptured aneurusm. Don't remember much of it but like Chris I had my hands wrapped up because I kept fiddling with my nasal tube. According to my husband and 3 sons I was a right pain!

Like you, I was a learning support assistant before the SAH so we seem to have a lot in comnmon. I live in Littlehampton in West Sussex so I know what a pain travelling up to Tooting is, but it is an excellent hospital and I was well looked after.

Keep positive, miracles really do happen. My chances of recovery were not good early on but here I am 2 years on and doing well.

I have found this site such a great support although I don't post on it often. Headway is also an excellent support group where you can go and meet up with other carers and people who have had various brain injuries, I think there is a group in Crawley.

Take care of yourself, I am sending you both loads of love. I will remember Chris in my prayers tonight.

Steph xxx

Awww Steph thank you so much for your reply and for keeping Chris in your prayers :) I will check out see if there is a Headway in Crawley thank you! Chris had really perked up today when I visited. He opened both eyes as soon as I held his arm (hand wrapped up lol) and said his name. I was so pleased :) he was moving his right arm and leg great and he was even mildly moving his left leg and his left hand a lil which is so great! I feel so very positive for him now. They are removing the respirator for definate tomorrow which should be a whole lot more comfy for him. Such another wonderful positive day and yes the staff at St.Georges are amazing. I am glad he is in such a great hospital :) much love to you all Alison x

Hi Alison,

I only spotted your thread this morning, what a time you've had of it. You sound like a very positive person! My partner found this website a huge source of comfort and information while I was in hospital, I'm glad you've found it already. It continues to calm us both even now and I'm sure it will continue to do so for some time.

I look forward to reading your updates.

Much love, Dawn x

Hi Alison

I have HUGE goose-pimples after reading your latest posts about how Chris has been responding and squeezing your hand! :-D It is brilliant news for you both!

He is so very lucky to have you as such a ray of positivity and light in his life, willing him on to recover the best he can.

Much love to you and your family.

Take care

Kel x