Coping Stategies

Hi

I use my calendar reminders on my phone to remind me of meetings/appointments and general stuff - like tings I need to buy that I may forget to write on my shopping list. I have written shopping lists for years, but used to be able to remember it all before, not now... I have to have the list with me and cross stuff off as I am shopping...

I use my calendar notices at work to remind of anything and everything...

My tablets sit next to my kettle so that I remember to take one each morning...it doesn't always work but is 99% okay.

I have to use my kitchen timer when I am cooking, but have to get in the kitchen as soon as the buzzer goes off or I will forget... and I am finding I keep getting the 'what's that smell' and smoke alarm going off lately! :oops: How annoying... usually when I can't be bothered to cook a big meal and put a pasta&sauce on the go then forget... burnt offerings - yuk.

I also send emails to work to remind myself to do things, and likewise from work to home...

I use a word doc to write my replies to everyone in the green room, as I can barely recall one post if I don't write a reply as I read each post...

My memory is massively better than it was post-op, but I still have little niggley issues with it now and again... but I cope (just about ;) )

Good thread Dawn! ;)

Kel x

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone!

I accidentally stumbled on a new one today and thought I'd share.

As I was getting ready to go out today, for some unknown reason, I grabbed a set of earplugs and stuffed them in my bag. Later in the afternoon, we were in Blockbuster choosing some movies for the weekend. They were playing music incredibly loud. I never noticed before sah just how many shops play music! :mad2: i put the earplugs in and voila! suddenly the noise was as good as gone, or at least a manageable volume anyway. After Blockbuster, we went to the supermarket and I forgot to take the earplugs out. I did the whole food shopping with the plugs in and instead of the usual 'i've been steamrollered' sensation I have when I leave the supermarket, i was reasonably ok! This might be a new regular tactic for me. It just means that my other half has to tap me on the shoulder before he speaks :lol:

Dawn x

Hi Dawn

I have used earplugs before to be able to sleep, as I was able to hear clocks ticking downstairs, others snoring, cars being driven down the road 2 roads away etc etc... very acute hearing... but I have only recently decided to use earplugs at work as the noise level crescendoes every few minutes and leaves me worn out.

I have actually just recieved a delivery of new discreet earplugs today, so will try them next week! ;)

Sounds like a good plan to wear them in supermarkets though!

Kel x

I too use earplugs but whilst at work

i find it much easier to concentrate and less taxing and draining if I don't have to work so hard trying to block out the noise of work colleagues general chit chat

I also find it helpful if my tolerance to noise is lower because I have had a worse nights sleep than normal and I am very tired

I keep my earplugs at work and hadden thought of taking them other places with me but its a good tip

cheers

Di

Good idea with the earplugs? I am finding that loud unexpected noises just blow my brain to BITS right now. I've had to keep my dogs locked up during the day because of barking. Didn't used to bother me at all.

All great ideas...juts read through them.

For me so far (six weeks post non-peri sah stroke) things that have helped:

1. Siri on my iPhone. Everything from "wake me up in 10 minutes" to "Remind me tomorrow at nine to call so and so" to the calendar to the lists. One thing I love, I can put groceries on the grocery list and my husband can see them on his phone if he's out he can get them and cross them off.

2. I wrote the times of my meds on the bottles so I knew what time all had to be taken. Right now I'm mainly on two (none related to the SAH any more) and I keep those out on the counter or I'll forget.

3. One single pile like Mary has. Many piles make my head hurt. One pile I can handle.

4. Moving things into an order before trying to attack it; grading, bills, etc.

I need to figure out how to NOT leave a task mid-task because that's eating way my ability to complete things. I used to be able to multitask like a pro.

Oh to be able to multi task again ...... I have to carry a note book and make lists of things to do which i can then cross off as I do them. I find that I have to focus on one task, see it thro to completion then move on ...

The note book helps me to remember stuff as well, so if I'm told something important i'll write it down so it prompts me to pass on the information - I'd be lost without my book.