Recommened Reading

Shortly after I got home from the hospital I discovered a book by Chris Licht called What I Learned When I Almost Died about his experience with SAH. Chris was a 30 something high energy producer for the American morning news show "Morning Joe" and his SAH started while in a taxi in Washington, DC. You don't find many books about SAH out there! I got my copy through Amazon.

Can anyone reccomend other helpful books relating to SAH?

http://chrislicht.com/

Edited by Michael Enloe

The Dented Image- i still don't have a copy but I know people from here contributed.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dented-Image-Journeys-Subarachnoid-Haemorrhage/dp/0415386721/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331625325&sr=1-1-spell

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Time-Out-Mind-Jane-Lapotaire/dp/1844080552/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331625221&sr=8-1

I read this one but its not for everyone & I would say not a typical sah recovery story but it is useful to see someone elses view

I read a time out of mind & Gill's right I found it very hard going but kept on reading it thinking it would be easier Nope, last year I got it out again thinking I was a lot better read two chapters and thats that.

But I do know that in your early stages of recovery A Dented Image is really good..

I have read a lot of books of people's experiences a couple I have read recently are "In a Flash" by Kim Justus and also A Near death Experience Uncertain I would Recover. Lord, You Saved Me by Lori Quaranta, if you type Aneurysm into the search bar of Amazon it brings up quite a few books on this subject, I found it inspiring to read others stories of their experiences, I hope this helps xxxxxxxx

• 1 month later...

Hi Michael,

Why don't you write one? - sounds like good therapy to me (get things off your chest etc) and would give good information and support to others in the same boat - do it at your own pace etc no pressure.

Just a thought!

Macca

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm almost finished with a fantastic book called "When the Air Hits Your Brain: Tales from Neurosurgery" by Frank Vertosick. It's a memoir-type

book about this doctor's experience being a neurosurgery resident in a teaching hospital. Very interesting stuff! It's not specifically about SAHs, but

there are stories about doing surgery on patients who have them.

I have downloaded the Rebooting your Brain book onto my kindle & have started reading it. So far it is very near to making me cry so I think that is a good thing as the Jane Laportaire book never made me feel how real it was or identify with her. The initial chapters are written from her partners memories of what happened to her as she has no memory of that at all. So far so good I think :-)

I've now finished reading REbooting my Brain & would def read it.For anyone who didn't like the Jane Laportaire book this is much more human, she is infinately more likeable & he story is much more true to life as we've experienced it. I found myself close to tears at a number of points as it reminded me how awful it is for our partners to go through this & be so helpless

If you can get your hands on it I would def give it a go

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this book or several years and honestly I have put off reading it.

Today I was thinking about how much more I procrastinate since my SAH.

I took the book from the computer room and started reading. I am enjoying the read and discovering more about myself. I am sure others will find it beneficial too.

http://www.ritaemmett.com/book_procrastinators_handbook.htm

Just wondering if anyone has read that book? 'rebooting my brain'. It looks interesting. Or is it newly published?

Hi Sandi, I have just purchased this from Amazon it says on there that it was only published on 1st May, thanks for the tip I will let you know what I think when it arrives and I have read it, Jilly xxx

• 2 weeks later...

I have just finished the book today and I think it is wonderful

The way Maria Ross recounts the experience giving her own and her family and friends experience is so touching and very very readable

I am sure it will bring you to tears as you read it as there are so many insights she shares that only someone who had been through this could do. The way she explains the loss of self and the different ways we feel after SAH is refreshing and I have actually read parts out loud to my work colleagues as the author puts it into words in a way I have struggled to explain

It is a definate recommendation and I am sure you will find it helpful and entertaining

I should also say that this is the first book I have read since my SAH in Feb 2010. She writes it factually so I do not have to try to work out what she means and the chapters are short so it is eay to pick up and put down when distracted

I will be reading sections of this over and over again to help me stay focused in my recovery

Di

Brain Injury Survival Kit

http://braininjurysurvivalkit.com/B_I_Survival_Kit.html

"As a brain injury survivor and a doctor, Dr. Cheryle Sullivan offers a unique perspective on neurologic damage and the resulting functional impairments."

I stumbled across a pdf of this book. What a find!. I recommend everyone read it. It is nice reading a book by someone like us, who has a brain injury. The fact that they are a doctor to drives the point home.

I would love to buy about 50 copies and give them to people who are oblivious to our cause. Then again they would have all the answers and tell us to get on with it.:lol::lol:

In the mean time, get a copy from the library and ease life for yourself.

• 1 month later...
I have just finished the book today and I think it is wonderful

The way Maria Ross recounts the experience giving her own and her family and friends experience is so touching and very very readable

I am sure it will bring you to tears as you read it as there are so many insights she shares that only someone who had been through this could do. The way she explains the loss of self and the different ways we feel after SAH is refreshing and I have actually read parts out loud to my work colleagues as the author puts it into words in a way I have struggled to explain

It is a definate recommendation and I am sure you will find it helpful and entertaining

I should also say that this is the first book I have read since my SAH in Feb 2010. She writes it factually so I do not have to try to work out what she means and the chapters are short so it is eay to pick up and put down when distracted

I will be reading sections of this over and over again to help me stay focused in my recovery

Di

Further to this I wrote to maria Ross the author and thanked her for writing the book and explained to her about our group and how it had helped. she replied to my letter and has now invited me and all members of this group to participate in a conference chat on Wednesday evening

please see details she sent me if you are interested:

Hello Di,

I hope you are doing well!

Wanted to let you know about this: If you or others in the groups you belong to would like to ask questions about the book (or the writing of it) I'm running a free Author Chat conference call this Wed, July 11 from 11 am to 12 noon Pacific Time (7 pm your time in the UK). If you're interested in joining for some Behind the Scenes, I'd love it. Just RSVP to Janica@red-slice.com. Again, it's free, as part of my mission to educate and inspire with this book

All my best,

Maria

Hi Di,

I'm running a free Author Chat conference call

Please can you provide me with the details via PM so that I can check it out, as I'm not sure what the conference call entails, but doubt that an International telephone call would be free? .... Many thanks xx

Brain Injury Survival Kit

http://braininjurysurvivalkit.com/B_I_Survival_Kit.html

"As a brain injury survivor and a doctor, Dr. Cheryle Sullivan offers a unique perspective on neurologic damage and the resulting functional impairments."

I stumbled across a pdf of this book. What a find!. I recommend everyone read it. It is nice reading a book by someone like us, who has a brain injury. The fact that they are a doctor to drives the point home.

I would love to buy about 50 copies and give them to people who are oblivious to our cause. Then again they would have all the answers and tell us to get on with it.:lol::lol:

In the mean time, get a copy from the library and ease life for yourself.

I just ordered this the other day....cannot recall the other book I ordered with it though??? hum??