Memory

I've been having quite a few memory gaps recently..not the usual sort of memory problems but complete blanks. I think its because I do a lot more now mentally..talking to people for example..I like to talk! But if over do it my brain gets tired now and I get complete blanks. Like my bank numbers/ passwords etc which I have memorized but now I have days when its all just gone its as if my brain just says 'no you've got to be kidding now..I'm done'!

Often wonder if its the start of dementia, hope not, I'm 4 and half years post SAH.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be of some help to this thread.

I was assessed regarding my memory and there showed a dip in what is termed ‘working memory.’

There may be some members of BTG who will be able to offer a better explanation as to what working memory is, but I understand it to be information ‘in the moment’ rather than something like long term memory, for example.

There is a link between working memory and learning and attention. It is not uncommon for many of us here on BTG to find learning new tasks tiring and it is apparent to us that our attention is not operating fully. So maybe, like me, you have issues with ‘working memory.’

‘Working memory’ is the information that we temporarily store and this can explain our vacant behaviour on occasions! I am known to repeat myself in conversations, or ask someone the same question more than once. I also notice my problems with attention when I’m viewing programmes on my laptop. I frequently have to stop the programme and reverse a few sections as my mind has wondered off.

I believe that working memory and short term memory are different things. I understand that more cognitive processes are involved with working memory; and this may be crucial in explaining our difficulties with day to day things.

Edited by penny
Wording amended

Most of the time my memory is at pre-SAH levels. However, out of nowhere, I'll totally forget something simple and it throws me for a loop and reminds me of all that I've lost (catastrophe strikes again!).

ie Not only do I not remember where my cell phone is, but I don't even remember the concept of a cell phone. Then the concept comes back to me, but I still don't remember the last time I saw it.

This is rare for me, but disturbing because I don't feel like I can count on myself anymore. I'm sure I need to challenge this statement as I don't think I expect others to be perfect all the time. But for real, I used to 'think' I could count on my awesome memory; I didn't become a neurophysiologist without one, right? I try and take it all in stride though as I have changed in many, many ways as you all have too.

~Kris

Hello all,

Geeky psychology entry about the different bits of memory coming up - this might help you understand it?

Short-term memory is stuff you hold very briefly in your memory that if it isn't reinforced, will not be committed to long-term memory and will be lost. The research suggests you can hold 7 (+/- 2) pieces of information in your short-term memory at any one time e.g. a 6 digit phone number and that you only hold it for a few seconds before it is lost or you actively reinforce it using your working memory and it is moved to your long-term memory.

Long-term memory is the stuff you have locked away into your memory to be recalled at a later date. It transfers to LTM from STM if it is something really pertinent to you or you have actively reinforced it in your mind and made yourself remember it, e.g. you have said that phone number over and over again so it is stuck in your memory bank to be retrieved at any time.

Working memory is the strategies and methods you use to manipulate the information you are exposed to - which bits of information you ignore and which bits you pay attention to. It is the bit of your memory that does the work to commit information you want to remember from short-term memory to long-term memory (e.g. by repeating the phone number over and over again until you know it off by heart). For you computer people, its the RAM bit in your brain that does the processing. It is also the bit that declines with age (hence why older people can remember the war and not what they had for dinner) and is affected by stress (sounds familiar...!). It would make sense therefore that your working memory is affected by SAH due to the increase in fatigue and reduction in capacity to concentrate.

One of the psychologists I work with has offered to do an IQ test on me to see how my working memory is post-SAH which makes me a bit nervous, but might be quite interesting. I have nothing to compare it to though as I didn't complete one pre-SAH!

Anyway, forgive me waffling, though this might be interesting to people. You can tell there was nothing that took my facy on TV tonight...

Best wishes all

Annie :-)

• 4 weeks later...

It is now more than 6 years since my SAH and I really have to do something about my awful memory and concentration problems.I thought I was covering up or laughing it off so no one else noticed. Not so.

It has recently caused problems in with my partner and i. I forget important things.I just can't recall ever being told things.

Even a few seconds later I don't know what has been said.

Just today I was so shocked by what I've been told ( no need for details) that I've made an appointment with the doctor.

I know memory problems are a common result of SAH and similar, but ignoring,hoping things will get better,and thinking others don't notice is only fooling myself.

Any comment or advise would be good.Will give update on progress after chat with doctor.

Good luck Baz

Hey Baz same as you mate but your taking the first steps to doing something about it, by knowing that its there....

write things down, have a day to day diary, dates on the callendar, when you dont know where you are look for land mark like in town I know the bus stop where I get the bus is outside M&S (landmark) that sort of thing...

• 1 month later...

Annie...that just shows how complex memory is!

I was told by my psychologist that because the organising centre of my brain has been affected this affects so many things...memory being one of them. It explains why I still have my long term memories (actually my long term memory is really good now) but my short term memory is very poor. Day to day activities are just not being retained or put into the right slot to start with. My memory is working but its not getting the correct information to start with. (It also explains why I can't read blocks of text with no gaps or punctuation...words joined together etc. Just cant make sense of it.) I was told that this may improve with time as more pathways open up to compensate. (Not happened yet though)

Louise I keep a diary/organiser now its the best things I have done post SAH! Wish I had kept one right at the beginning of my recovery. It makes me feel in control of things and I would be lost without it..mine is broken down into hours each day so I can record exactly when I make a phone call for example(great if you need to phone a company back, feel really quite efficient now!!) Infact I wish I had kept one pre SAH.

I think they sell mid year diaries at this time of year for a reduced price so do check this out if you don't already have one, (those of you with memory problems,) you won't regret it.

Hey Momo

Good to hear from you, yes I use a diary with what's what and when have done for a few years now, but lately its come use full again because Ronnie is back working shifts (bad enough) but its not the same shift all week so for me this is a nightmare but hey got it all in my diary :roll:

Wanted to add, although my memory seems worse at times. Like really bad! I think it is also because I am improving but of course fatigue sets in and it seems like I am worse. I have says I think I must sound like a total idiot to people at work. I know I sound crazy, I can hear myself talk.

Yesterday I was looking up a chicken slow cooker recipe and later I was at the store having to pick up a few groceries and I looked the recipe and it had no chicken in it and it was not a slow cooker recipe!! It was a really good meal but I have no idea when I "blacked out" and ended up with this other totally different recipe. Typical kind of things I do when I am tired. I was thrown for a loop when kitchen sink was backed up and it set my whole day tumbling down hill. Funny how those little things make such a huge difference now.

You're absolutely right Mary the little things can really throw us! What I also find about the memory is when people say don't you remember or I told you that etc etc!!They don't mean to be unkind of course but it really hurts even now after all this time.

We need our memory to work and if it doesn't its a huge thing! But we can compensate.

Sorry to go off thread a bit but nice to see you here Louise and hope you manage ok while your husband is working,everyone else with memory problems.. the planner is a must.