contribution based ESA is being stopped after a year

Hi again,

Tried calling them again, and again, and again!! This week alone I have waited in their queue for a total of 152 minutes. I finally got a real person ( only 25 minutes into todays call too). :-P They called my local job centre who rang back to say. I am NOT going to be getting any further payments or arrears! " the decision was changed in your favour which means you are now in the WRAG group and as you have already exhausted a years payments for that, you will have to appeal again asking to be the support group!" Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!!!!:mad2:

Sally sad to say this confirms what I thought, you will only get your NI payments made but you will still have to take part on WRAG ativities. Fortunately for me the Co here are aware of the problems this causes & are doing telephone appointments where necessary.

The whole system is just wrong, how can they decide you need support to return to work but limit the financial help to 12 months? Its just totally beyond me :crazy:

The company who are doing the work related activity sessions, in my case they are called CDG (Maximus). I used to have to go into town every month & park which cost me around £3-4 & although they gave me expenses for petrol it didn't cover the car park as that was pay on exit!

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

Just thought I should update you all on the benefit 'fight'. I gave in! :frown:

They did agree I have "limited capabilities for work". However they put me in the 'wrag' group. No money for me then. :frown: That was approx 6 months ago. So why have I never heard anything about any work related activity? I have had NO correspondence at all from them since.

As the money had been stopped since April and the furniture shop was closed I was feeling the pinch big style! :frown: I Did enquire about appeal and managed to up the butchers shifts from 10 hrs a week to 15. However, when I approached the local welfare rights people for help filling the forms, she informed me I cannot appeal as I am only permitted to earn £20 per week while claiming. :shock: ( on 15 hrs I am earning 90 ) They take soooo long to respond to claims that I simply cant afford not to do the 15 hrs. I am not finding it easy either. Even after a short 4 or 5 hr shift, I need to sleep for a couple of hours in order to find the energy to make meals and do chores.

I have been so frustrated with the waiting times on the telephone and the fact that every time they did get in touch, they gave me as little info as possible and advised me to call if I had any more questions. I seemed to be spending all my days in the queue for hours and then being told call back later and cut off. Unacceptable!

Hope you are all having better luck than me.

Sally. x

I had my appeal today & a resounding victory for me against the tribunals system going from 0 points to 21 in 20 minutes!! I am still in the WRAG although the judge seemed to imply they had tried for theut couldn't support group find the other 6 points needed.

As far as I am aware this means I will still have to do WRAG activity but like Sally will not be paid any ESA benefit having had my 12 months max. I knew this would be the case but for me it was about the principle of knowing the medicals are badly flawed & proving them wrong.

One thing I did find is that a lot of the physical descriptors from the old form have now gone to I had no points for my eye or my back problem. All my points came from mental descriptors & show a change in the attitude towards cognitive issues but there still does not seem to be a recognition of or points awarded due to fatigue issues.

I will update once I hear back from the DWP but my WRAG will continue to be phone based as far as I know.

Still a victory is a victory hey??

I need help here!

I would love to say Well Done Gill... but..

I too have appealed against failing an assesment and ( without having the added stress of having to attend tribunal) on second thoughts, they found 'in my favour' and placed me in the WRAG group. However.. it doesn't give us any financial help and I'm really really feeling it now.

6 months later I am forcing myself to keep up with a 15 hrs a week job, running a household with two attitude fuelled teenagers ( neither of whom are earning ) and trying (quite unsuccessfully) to find motivation and energy to stay positive!

I now know I can do work. I really need something that I can do uninterrupted and I would manage fine. I just wish they would help me find something and allow me to manage financially during the hunt.

I am certain I can sew well and alterations or curtain making would be perfect for me. I would love to start my own business doing this but am so scared of all the legal stuff that would go along with it. I can't get my head round understanding it all and thiis is seriously holding me back.

Gill, I would love to say well done, but I just feel this is a 'get out ' for them to shut us up. sorry babe. :oops:

Have you Business Link in your area, they help with legalities etc and give you advice.

Can't you claim job seekers allowance instead of ESA? See a benefits adviser or a welfare rights officer who will be able to tell you what you can/cannot claim for and point you in the right direction and also help with any claim.

You may find one at your council or county council and definately at CAB.

Hi again,

sorry for the delay in replying here. Had a sickness bug the last couple of days.:frown5:

Penny, I haven't heard of business link, but will look it up online. I did, at one time contact the 'Business Gateway' which I guess could be the scottish version of the same thing. I didn't go ahead with things then because they talked about me having to do business plans and market research!:confused5: All I had planned was to advertise my sewing services and hopefully have calls flooding in.

As for the Jobseekers allowance, I worry that if I were to claim that, It would imply that I'm agreed that I have no Limited capabilites. My main grudge is that they are not recognising just how limited my working prospects are affected. ( If the shop was not owned by a family member, I am 100% certain I would not be still there.)

I know I can do sewing from home ( I know I could also do it in the factory where I was learned it, but unfortunately they have no availability as yet. )as there would be absolutely no distractions there. There are not many jobs where this would be the case.

Thanks for your response.

sally xx

Edited by sallym25

Hey Sally, I too think that if your on jobseekers (Ronnie is & he signs on once a fourtnite) it means that you are actifully looking for work (that is Not out there - sorry my daft sense of humour/not)

I think we can feel we can do it but in reality can we....work that is its hard that & normal family stuff that in itself is a full time job...