Anxiety/Diet/Exercise

Kerry Hood

Thank you all for your kind words.... Train journey has been fine, felt a bit anxious amongst all those people but as soon as I get a seat I'm fine.... I don't get full panic attacks and unable to breathe I just feel like everything is closing in on me and my world is moving too fast..but I'm getting there with the help of my wonderful hubby and gorgeous boys and being very stubborn helps too xxxx

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, I just went to my SAH support group and the speaker was a social worker and she talked about anxiety! She said that people fall into two groups 1. Anxiety increasers (people who tend to ramp up when they talk about their anxiety) and 2. anxiety decreasers (People who build up anxiety and blow up).

With these in mind, I am an increaser and she said for us, Yoga and meditation was the way to go. I'd already found both of these things post SAH as I felt drawn to them and then they definitely gave me what I was looking for. For the decreasers, she recommended talking to others when you're not stressed about your situation so as to diffuse the building up-explosion pattern. I hope this helps...I could have used this advice a long time ago.

~Kris

I had my 3 month post op check up and saw the registrar who was very happy with me.... she is going to talk to my consultant about weaning me off my meds and just keep me on aspirin everyday... I hope he agree's as I really want to come off the meds..... have to wait three weeks then contact my Dr and hopefully they will have received a letter from my consultant. saying to wean me off the meds.... I'm also allowed back to my keep fit class which I really need to do and loose weight as have put on so much since last year finding out I had this large aneurysm, I comfort ate to keep my mind off it, which didn't work and just made me gain weight... so back to keep fit next thursday just got to take it easy...listen to my body and see how I go.... as for the anxiety that seems to have calmed down a little bit more but I just take it day by day... can't do any more than that, take it one day at a time and deal with it as it happens.... I think though that my anxiety may get a bit worse when being weaned off the drugs.... especially when I'm off the anti fit drugs, think I will be wondering everyday if I will have a fit that day..... the registrar says that she thinks it was post op seizure's as nothing showed on CT scan so we are hoping it was just that and nothing else will happen.... we shall see.............. but am feeling good at the moment :-D

Been to dietician,,,she made me cry..lol...I love my food but without walking I am getting way over the top on weight..lol

Everytiime I walked in to see her she said to me Do you want to be here ?"....I told her after 3rd week "why do you always say this

to me...if you do not want me here just say so"...anyway I cried as I felt unwanted..hubby said "she and you do not get on and she

isn't helping you...so do it on your own"..now I am heavier and must diet but catch 22... I cannot walk that far.....ahhh scream lol

Anyway I will try and diet with you I want to lose 2 stone in 8/10 weeks.....shall we do it together ?? ie when you go off diet you

have someone to tell what you did wrong..if you need help I am here ...fatty signing off lol

Keep smiling..we will finish up heavier...lol

WinB143 xx xx

I find their site very confusing too so to be honest don't go on it much.

I can totally understand you wanting to get bits of 'normal' back. Everytime I get a bit of normal back I end up having a few tears! It still breaks me that I'm not the wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, work collegue etc etc that I used to be, but hey, I'm still here, still kicking and fighting.

As for your concerns about fitting again do you have medical details kept on you? Have you thought about wearing a medic alert bracelet?

Hope to maybe meet you at future Wessex support groups. Or a coffee in town seeing as we both work there!

Take care and keep smiling,

SarahLou Xx

Hi Sarah

i am a recovering SAH guy i was a courier 8 hours b4 my world shattered, i have had so much difficulty in getting back to (normal) it will not happen to a point i finally accepted the fact i am very damaged and have many other problems too, tiredness frustration, diabetis, epilepsy, and a few more, go suicidal at one point but had no one to help me at all for 3 months, my daughter started too but left me on my own too much, it got real bad, but coming on this site i have found out i am not as alone as i thought, but, please take some advise from an old man lol please please take it real easy with recovery it will take a long time, the impossable takes seconds but miricales take alilttle bit longer, all i can say is take every day as it comes chin up and remember this,,,, we have been given a 2nd chance at life slow down and relax even more, with time and effort from friends family and support groups life will get so much better.... set a monthlyt attainable target work for it do it and win the respect of yourself and become the person you really want to become and that my friend is YOU time is our friend not our enemy embrace the good as well as the bad it will be EASIER in the long run ... trake care Mike

Been to dietician,,,she made me cry..lol...I love my food but without walking I am getting way over the top on weight..lol

Everytiime I walked in to see her she said to me Do you want to be here ?"....I told her after 3rd week "why do you always say this

to me...if you do not want me here just say so"...anyway I cried as I felt unwanted..hubby said "she and you do not get on and she

isn't helping you...so do it on your own"..now I am heavier and must diet but catch 22... I cannot walk that far.....ahhh scream lol

Anyway I will try and diet with you I want to lose 2 stone in 8/10 weeks.....shall we do it together ?? ie when you go off diet you

have someone to tell what you did wrong..if you need help I am here ...fatty signing off lol

WinB143 xx xx

Hi Kerry 2 years on for me i have found the swimming pool the best way to excersie like water arobics..... at least if we fall over no-one will giggle... maybe doing lots of running on the spot in the pool and swimming will help so much i love it now but remember to tell the guards that you are unwell and they will keep an eye on you all the best Mike

I have struggled with weight all my adult life. The irony is when I was a teen I couldn't get a date since I was a bone rack. You could count my ribs :D

With the complication if diabetes I do watch what I eat now. I am proud to say I haven't gained any weight over the past few years.

It isnt easy loosing weight and like my doc says. Sure exercise will help. you can run for an hour two or and lose that chocolate bar.

Not something that non athletic types care to do.

Calories are defined as those little creatures that hide in the closet and sew the seams of our clothes a little tighter each year.

One thing that has helped me is dividing my plat in half, then take one half the plate and divide that as well.

The half plate contains my veggies, the 1/4 holds the meat and the other 1/4 holds the starch. It really has helped.

I used to walk every night for about an hour or two and I havent had a chance to do that lately. I guess I need to make the chance.

I am not looking to be a buff superstar.... besides buff is such a boring colour, But I do want to be healthier and live longer. I guess we were all given a second chance. I am just a slow learner :)

Hang in there Kerry and Win. I know we can all become better than we are today.

WinB143 xx xx

Hey,

yes we can do it together... I am going back to my Rosemary Conley class on thursday and am dreading the weigh in but I'm going to do it for me and my health.... I am going to do my measurements to to see if I start losing inches from the keep fit class on a thursday but I am going to use my treadmill too.... I bought the treamill after my op/TIA to help with getting my left leg moving properly again but have been so lazy over the last month it hasnt been used.... am so upset with myself but as of thursday I'm gonna get this diet going!! fingers crossed, I will update you each week and if i go off the rails then I can tell you and the same with you, if you want to have a good moan about anything then feel free... lol..... its frustrating hey?

Good luck and keep smiling and any walking you do is a bonus so dont feel too down about it....

You keep smiling too xxx

I will start diet on Thursday and weigh myself and let you know if I cheated or lost any....doubt it though I am already

thinking of cake ...lol...so weigh in 27th wont tell you my weight but wont lie about loss...deal? lol..so loss to be told Thursday week

Good Luck Kerry....and Me !! ....we will lose what we feel comfortable with....and once again

GOOD LUCK DIET PAL XX ahhhh I'll give myself a week at it...lol No seriously I need to get slimmer...so looking at losing approx

2 stone then have a binge up...lol xx.. screams I need food as walks away ha ha xx

Love

WinB143 xx xx

I started one today, jeez....... love my water class but I pulled something in my back in feb in yoga hyper extended my rib cage and I re injured it the other day again so I off exercise until it settles back down. Just got a shot and some anti inflams for it. I need to track my meals, that i sthe onlly way I ever lost weight but I think if I get a couple of breakfasts, lunch & dinner choices with X amount of calories it will be ok ..... for now to eat the same meal over and over. Except my husband is too thin and he works out. errrrr. mary

Join me n Kerry on a diet ...just helps us out if we feel we have to be honest with weight loss or in my case gain lol

passes all who are weighing ourselves Thursday a big lump of choc cake...make it last !!

Join in one and all..no need to put what you weigh just what you have lost if any !!

No telling off just support okay all ? ............ like support being feed me more cake...lol

Or when you feel like eating come on here and type makes hands busy and ya cannot stuff food in mouth ..ha ha

Love

WinB143 (Hungry) Speak on Thursday week about weight loss or gain (in my case) lol byeeeeeee

Skippy - You need to start a diet thread of support. I made it through yesterday. Today I have a sore throat or allergies. I had the house opened up past 2 days because temps lowered but I closed it up this morning. I just made a crystal light ice smoothie for my throat. I need to lost 30#'s realistically but I need to lost 5# right NOW!

Weigh in Tomorrow am and following Thursday we say what we have lost or gained lol..Holds out hand Shake on it !!

We can only cheat ourselves ... and we womt be horrid like dietician was....and we can laugh also xx

LoveTo All us Dieters lol

WinB143 Good Luck all of us xxxxxxxxx this will be a laff xx

Ok,

I will try too. I diet every day but havent lost in a while. Havent gained though. No energy to exercise so have to starve myself. Let David try too.

Skippy ya look pretty skinny in the picture.

You too Mary, course I cant see past the tile/brick

Win, where is your picture?

Kerry- welcome, we havent met.

After this diet, Mary and I are gonna get together and have a BIG FAT BEER in New Buffalo. Maybe even a Fosters Lager.

No Seefood diets Win!

David

• 3 weeks later...

Well I did well my first week and lost 3lb but had a bad week last week and put 1 1/2lb back on... Oh well start again today.... Need to do more exercise too, was gonna use my treadmill but I've hurt my ba k so that has been put off for a bit.... I did a Jhoom class last week which is bollywood aerobics really enjoyed it and managed to keep up but we did Zumba this week and it was too fast for me and my left leg wouldn't keep up with it and wouldn't do what my brain was telling it too... I ended up sitting out of the last 15 minutes and being very upset and frustrated with mself as it made me realise I'm not back to full health...for an ex dancer picking up dance moves were no problem before..... Not happy with myself at all!!!! :-(

Kerry hun dont beat yourself up about it cut yourself some slack, you said yourself

bollywood aerobics really enjoyed it
so stick to that and see how it goes. Best & cheapest form of excersise is walking its free,

But like I said dont beat yourself up about it...

take care

Hi Kerry

Week 1 lost 3.5..... 2nd week today as I forgot yesterday lol 1lb.... I mean 1 bliming pound arghhhh ...lol but as I said to David

1lb x 4 = 4 x by 3 months ermmmm lol 4 x 3 = 12lb so in 3 months we can lose 12lb..or brb need cake...lol j/k

Glad to see you are doing well Kerry never give up xxx

Love and still fat..lol...gonna lose a stone in 3 months or maybe 2 and a half months ahhhh lol

WinB143 xxxx

I used to be a weight loss counselor.

Best tip I have is to keep an [U]honest daily[/u] food diary and weigh once/week and on that day, read over the diary and you can see your strengths and weaknesses and keep doing the wonderful stuff you've been doing the next week and add one thing that hindered you. My husband has lost 20lbs doing this and it is just being really, truly, very aware of all the details - they count so to speak.

Keep up the encouragement of each other as well. That's really important too.

Here's to next weeks goals :)

~Kris

Well I lost 1/2lb last week but not beating myself up about.... hopefully will have lost some this week.......

I aslo got the go ahead from SGH to my GP that I can be weaned off my meds, we have started with my anti fit meds and hopefully it will go well, gonna take 3 weeks to be weaned and im now going into my 2nd week... I'm presuming if I'm gonna have a fit it will be within the next 3 weeks, im not sure but have a GP appointment on 8 august then if all ok we will start on the blood thinning meds but think i will be staying on the aspirin.... fingers crossed as dont want to have a fit as that will mean not getting my driving licence back for a year :-(

Hope everyone is doing well xxxx

Hi Kerry, congratulations on the weight loss. I wonder if the change in dosage of meds will effect your weight loss.

I began scaling back my anti-epilepsy / ain't-migraine meds a couple of weeks ago too. I haven't noticed weight change and I haven't had a seizure but I have been really 'spaced out' and lethargic at times but super alert at other times. Will be glad when I'm completely off and can see what I'm left with. Good luck with both your weight loss and medication changes.

Sandi K.

Hi Sandi

I'm 1 1/2 weeks in to being weaned of the antifit meds and have been so tired this weekend and had a headache since friday too, although banging my head on the boot of our car on the side I had the op didn't help on friday!!! I'm thinking the way i'm feeling is down to coming off this drug... which anti fit drug are you on Sandi? I'm on Levetiracetam 500mg am down to one a day and from wednesday next week its one every other day for 7 days then stop.... am quite nervous about it all but keeping fingers crossed that I don't have a fit!!!

How long before you are off your anti fit drug? wish you luck with it and that it all goes well too......

I'm also quite proud of myself as the other day whilst walking home from work, the cut through I go down is a small treelined slope leading to a path and road near to my house and there were 3 men who I didnt see till it was too late to turn around, they were foreign and shouting in there own language which was quite intimidating as had no clue what they were shouting about but I carried on..two of them went down the covered slope the other procedeed to have a pee as I walked past him then had to walk past the other two on the slope... I felt my anxiety rise a little but carried on as they followed me but I refused to let them make me more anxious and they stopped and turned back around.... 4-6 weeks ago my anxiety would have hit the roof, my limping would have kicked in and I would have been a complete wreck... so i'm very proud of how I reacted!!!! onwards and upwards... :-D

• 1 month later...

I was on one of those meds too in the early days. I thought it would make a big difference when I went off of it, but alas...I was so fatigued for months. However, now I am not fatigued at all, but I do get exhausted quite easily...the feeling is 'normal' for tiredness at this point except at night. I hope you have a quicker course to becoming less fatigued, but just know that it is typical for us to feel this way in the early stages.

Also, keep on having that positive attitude and the people around you become less noticeable/concerning like before. My anxiety keeps reducing as time goes by. I do see a neuropsychologist for mine as it was consuming me at first. Even now, it gets me sometimes. Hang in there.

~Kris

For me.....there is no way I can stay with a diet & exericse plan while working. I found weight watchers to be great for weight loss but there is no way I coudl do that now. .. I have to chose brain cells for work and balancing check book every week instead of counting calories. LOL.

Water therapy, no stess on joints if I can manage to make myself go after work. :lol:

mb

Edited by MaryB