Psychotherapy vs Psychiatrist

Guest Mike

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

As I understand it, a psychiatrist gives you drugs to make you feel better, a psychologist talks you through it & helps you find ways to deal with what you are going through...

Quick fix versus life long ways to deal with what has happened???

You are the only person who can decide which way you want to go from here.

Good luck whatever road you choose x

Mike, I personally today would go with the drugs but....... tomorrow I would want the real help. I am sort of in the same boat of getting "evaluated" right now. I dreadddddd itttt! But I guess I want to move in the right direction forward and not be stuck here in 2 years. I somedays do not really know why I bother to want to change, I do not know if the work & $ will matter in the long run. I am just talking about myself, you may feel entirely different. Good luck , mary

Good Morning Mike,

sorry to hear you have been having a bad time of it. As I understand it, psychotherapy digs a little deeper to find the root cause of how you are feeling. This can take longer, but ultimately as it gets deeper can be very effective. Some people find it strange to begin with as they will go back to your childhood but bear with it, there's good reason. Everything we learned about life, relationships and ourselves, we learned as children. Back when we were a blank sheet of paper waiting to absorb the world and be taught how to sail through life, we were shown the way by parents, grandparents, school teachers, peers. The way we were taught these things makes a massive difference to who we are and what we believe about ourselves and therefore how we deal with life's situations. These become core beliefs and stay with us. Psychotherapy can help you to discover these core beliefs and where they originated. Only then as a fully aware adult, are you free to decide for yourself what you would like to hang onto and what you woule like to rid yourself of. It can be very challenging, but it's very freeing and rewarding to discover that much of how you think and feel was given to you and as a result can be altered.

Good luck with whichever you choose, I wish you well.

Dawn x

Hi Mike

That's quite a difficult choice for you to make. Who's asking you to decide? In our NHS you would be referred to Mental Health Services by your GP and then an assessment would take place. The referral will have details of the problem from the GP, this would then be looked at by a psychiatrist and a psychologist. They would then give the client a date for an assessment, where questions would be asked by both of them. After this appointment and after they agreed on the best course of treatment, you would then be given an appointment with either a psychiatrist or psychologist.

A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who will see patients with mental ill health, they can prescribe medication. Sometimes clients are treated by a psychiatrist first and then when the condition is stablised they made need the help of a psychologist and sometimes they are treated by both at the same time. A psychologist will work with the patient to find a strategy to enable them to deal with their troubles. Dawn is correct, some will go back into your life. However, my experience with working with psychologists is that they prefer to deal with the here and now. They focus on what is troubling you now and encourage you not to dwell in the past (you can't change the past or control it but you can start to make changes now).

I hope you get the help that you need, take care.

Sorry to hear things got so bad, yes difficult choice, when I was in the rehab hospital, I spoke with psychologist it was just talking....I think were drugs are ok to help a bit, its talking things out with people who understand/its their job has to help better.

Grab the help with both hands if its being offered.

take care

Mike,

I had/am having a very rough time in dealing with my SAH too. I am a therapist myself and really feel like you might want to get with a professional that deals only with neuropsychology and/or rehabilitation issues.

This can be a psychiatrist who is licensed to prescribe; a social worker, or a psychologist. Do your homework when picking one...like posting this thread here is a good step!

I myself have opted to see a neruopsychologist that specializes in rehabilitation. He has helped immensely...especially with those feelings of, "I SHOULD be able to deal with this better!" Now I'm working to change my thinking...maybe not in the moment, but upon reflection. Hopefully with his help, I can move the timescale closer to in the moment.

Take your time in deciding. Listen to your gut and then leap in hard and often.

~Kris

You will be okay...don't think drugs are the answer...You need to be able to talk to someone.....pour your heart out as saying goes..

You need to get rid of the feelings locked inside you....I know it's easy for me to say it.....but you need something in your life

that makes you happy....think talking is better .....but up to you....whatever you choose..Look after yourself ...and when down

SING xx

All the Best

Win B143 x

Only Happy songs though !!! lol

Hey up Mike .

Im really sorry to hear about the problems youve been experiencing recently and i wish you nothing but a speedy recovery .

Im afraid i dont know too much about this specific field . Id read myself that a lot of people who experienced an SAH found the use of a councillor/psychiatrist to be of great use and it seems that in one way or another , so will you .

For what its worth i think youve done exactly the right thing coming on here and asking for peoples advice as there are clearly a lot of people on here who know a great deal about the subject at hand . The only possible advice i could even dream of offering on this is the following . The ultimate decision for which way you go with this should be yours . Take on board all of the advice given , weigh up the pro's and cons in relation to the problems you are experiencing , make your own decision and try to stick to it .

Just remember mate ...... theres no right or wrong here . Some benefit from going one way , some from another . Some may even benefit from a combination of the two . Whats crucial for you is ensuring the course of action you embark upon is right for YOU and only YOU ..

Good luck with whichever way you decide to go ...... you'll crack it mate . It may take time , but im sure you will .

Thanks guy n girls for the replies havent been on to respond to the messages for that i am very sorry..

I was found in a predicament recently that warranted a police officer sectioning me under S136 grrr i was at the sea's edge the tide had come in and was lapping at my feet, not a good place to be as at that moment in time, i had no real idea where or what i was doing there.

I spend a small amount of time in a secure unit and it was deemed they could not help me, grrrr, have been referred to both neruopsychologist and a psychiatrist, i want these bad feelings to go away, i already am on antidepressants, which was doubled and then halved, then a 2nd pills given, vallium, now i,m pretty messed up emotionally, but find it very eaasy to help others, which i find really weird, i can look after myself poorly but others very well, this is really messing up my mind and the state i can get myslef into, all mikey wants is to get better, but finds it very hard to talk to people, and to get of the pills to lead as near a normal life as i can, but the predicament i face i can chat on here very easily but not in a consaultation, so now i hope someone can see that why i am so confused and do not know where to turn many thx again Mikey

:shock:

Hi Mike,

Myself and a few others on here have had enormous help from neuropyshcologists. I'm sure it will be a huge help to you too. Hang in there until the appointment comes through. If you find it hard to express yourself at consultations, what about writing down how you feel (pretend you are writing a post for BTG) and hand it to them at the appointment?

Michelle x

Hi everyone this is really hard for me I have sat and read everybody's reply, tears in my eyes I struggling its hard for me I am going to take everyones advice, will goto both psychologist and psychiatrist, I'm a very proud man and find it hard for me to put my faith in someone I don't know face to face. This is a huge challenge for me , but one I will fulfil and complete... Will keep you all updated too...

Also I want to sag a big thx to all the posters so far..

Hi Mike

Really feel for you and the bad place you're in at the moment. I have a daughter who has had a few spells in " mental health" establishments over the last few years she also finds it difficult to speak to health care officials and like you can help and support others but finds it difficult to help herself I personally think its all part of the illness.

I had to seek help myself when the pressure of my daughters illness got too much and had several counselling sessions myself that really did help me to manage my feelings and deal more effectively with my daughter. I think the main thing is to keep an open mind and as someone mentioned earlier if you find it hard to talk about yourself make some notes on your feelings and take them with you.

Good luck and I really hope that you can find a way forward that you are comfortable with.

Having re read my entire post yet again I'm so moved by the kindness offered to me, some if the replies have moved me to tears,I don't feel I deserve such earth n kindness, but never the less I thank you all from the bottom of my heart, yesterday I even went swimming on my own and had a fairly good time, but as always I over did the excerse. But trying this on my own was quiet acarey but it was accomplished I spent 2 hrs using my own excersise plan but today my body feels it :cool:

Hi. Not been posting for a while. Have had a bit of a breakdown. In short, got accused of something terrible, at work, this triggered post traumatic stress syndrome. I am currently on 4 types of meds and undergoing psychotherapy, due to scoreing 17 out of 20 on the GAD SCALE. Apperently 15 out of 20 is considered "suicide risk". I am not suicidal, but do not want to wake up anymore. What's the difference? So forgive me for my absence, I have been looking in to BTG and keep threatening to post. As regards this thread, I too, have been on that beach (Lliggwy, in Anglesey) with the water consuming me. I was saved by friends who worked it all out. What kind of therapy? All kinds, medical and emotional, and the kind you get on here! Sorry to be such a downer , but life is pretty bleak at the moment. I have developed an unhelpful relationship with my EX. All this was triggered by the accusations. I had no idea that I was so vulnerable. My sympathy goes to you Mikey, I know how you feel! Keep talking mate, as I will try to keep talking.Bill.B.xx

Mike, well done on the swimming. 'They' say exercise is one of the best ways to help when you feel down. And from personal experience - it doesn't solve everything but it definitely makes you think from a healthier & refreshed state of mind.

Bill, I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having such a hard time & it's good to see you back posting again. Keep posting & trying to get back to a happier place in your life. I always try to remember, when things feel really bad, that in the near future what is happening now will be a memory of a horrible time that is now over. It WILL be even if it's hard to see that at the moment. Take care.

Michelle

Mike and Bill, it was recently said to me 'it is always darkest before the dawn'.

I'm sure you've heard that before. I had never paid attention to it until it was spoken directly to me as if it were a message just for me at that time. I grabbed hold and believed I was at the darkest place and ever since I've been heading toward dawn. I hope you both are now heading toward dawn. It seems to be a long road but we will get there.

Sandi K. Xoxoxoox

I have to be really honest and say I'm not sure that I should post this (even as I've started typing it) but it is I believe (???) staying on topic.....

In Oct 2010, I had to walk out of work & go through the long drawn out medical retirement process. Two months later my son became seriously ill & underwent brain surgery, two months after that I lost my licence & we were pretty much house bound for over 6 months. I live alone with my son, there is no other wage coming in, no-one to go to the shops as required & I do not have much support since my own SAH. I went through the absolute terror of losing my son or having him taken back to the ward no longer as he used to be whilst doing battle with my employer and the UK benefits system, whilst still trying to sort my own life out after SAH. The employment battle ended extremely well for me last December. The benefits battle only ended last week. ESA was awarded in the support group in June 2012, Disability Living Allowance ended just last week with my money being doubled (sounds great eh :lol:) from £20 a week to £40 a week - the great bit is that it has been awarded indefinitely which I believe means that I do not have to reapply & that the 'permanent' brain injury has now been recognised as such 4 years later.

There have been many, many very dark times throughout this last 18 months where I wanted to give up & did not have the strength to keep fighting, had no-one to turn to for practical support etc. BTG has always been a place to turn to for emotional support. There are still times when I can't see how to make it all better but at least now some of the battles are over. It is largely because of the neuropysc testing that I have finally been allowed to stop fighting some of the battles - the powers that be will not listen to what I say but 'get it' when a professional puts it in writing.

My point is that whilst there are still some things to get sorted out - when I look back to a 18 months ago, 12 months ago, even 2 months ago - it all seems like the worst nightmare I ever had. Most of it is over, a distant horrible time. Never give up even when it seems too hard to keep going - one day it will all be a bad memory of a hard time that is now over.

Michelle x

Edited by goldfish.girl