Dont know where to begin

hi karen

its great news about jim im really pleased for you both i really do i just wish lin and i could have a cuddles. karen there is a sensor pad which you should be able to get from social services or the stroke nurse which lies on the bed and if jim moves a small alarm goes off which you would hear so if he is trained he he to move when he wakes up you will be awake as well its a pressure pad which is used at lins nurseing home for some of the more restless residents i will try and get the details later today and give you the details in a private message i really wish you both well but remember to take some time for yourself and im really chuffed the insurance is paying off the morgage that will give you some peace of mind hugs and cuddles sweetheart

Edited by paul99

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Karen,

So pleased to hear your Jims coming home....WTG xx

Before my shunt for hydrocephelus (Check spelling) was fitted.

I remember my daughter asking me to squeeze her hand, she was doing excercise on my hand, I can now hold my own cup.

Small steps for fit people but major ones for me and people like me.

Then in 2010 I thought if I can tap my feet I can walk so hubby got me a zimmer frame , then a wheely frame so I can sit whenback aches , now I toddle along and I cannot go very far but I do not use a stick as I do not want to be dependent on it.

Get Jim a pad and pencil later on it helped me, my family wrote my name and I copied it,, and for the life of me I couldn't remember

our addy so hubby pinned it on wall,

It sounds doom n gloom but since 2010 I have really done well and so will Jim, After All He Has You xx

Love to you both

WinB143 xx xx

Karen, the best of news for you both. There will be some new challenges to face but the comforting feeling of being home is so healing. I'm sure you will quickly work out signals and routines and wish you all the best, hey and if he wants to strip off now he can do so in the warm surroundings of his own four walls, just warn the neighbours first :lol:. Well done.

Hello Karen

I had not seen this thread before, so welcome to BTG ;) You have already seen how wonderful everyone's comments and advice can be here, like a great big cyber hug :)

You have done incredibly well to get to the point you are at now, having sorted everything out for Jim's return home. I hope you can take time out now and again to make sure you keep yourself well enough.

It is wonderful that you have such caring neighbours who have looked after you these past 3 months.

It brought a tear to my eyes reading about Jim's phone call with his friend. That was amazing :thumbsup:

It is great news that Jim is finally coming home this Friday, good luck for you and your family.

I hope Jim carries on recovering well in your safe hands :D

Much love and luck for you all

Take care

Kel x

just knew it was to good to be true

had a phone call at 11 oclock friday morning asking me to go in within the hour for moving and handling for jim, well got there at 11.45am asked the nurse on duty "so is everything ok for jim coming home today" yep she says just waiting for a call from the social services transfer team that everythings in place, so said shall i pack his stuff up and jims friend could take it home, you might as well she says so left a couple pairs of underwear n t shirts.

waited till 1oclock still no sign of the person doing the moving/handling thingy so asked for them to contact her, the cheecky little b---er had only left for the day, fuming is'nt the word.

waited then till 4oclock for transfer team to contact the ward, you guessed no call, i phoned them from the ward in the end and then they tell me they hav'nt got all the carers in place so would not be going home. i was angry and dissapointed, me and antony (my son) had worked so hard over the last couple of days to get the house into order read for jims big return home. if they had of said to me we think jim will be going home on friday if all the carers are sorted i would not have even told him just in case.

i had to then tell jim what was going on and he did not seem to bothered but within 30mins of me telling him he was stripping off again and very agitated, not had any of that for the last 2 weeks so it seems it must be something related to stress.

awwww nothing goes smoothly does it. so now got to go in again at 11 on monday for moving/ handling, said jim might be home monday but you know what i am not going to listen to them anymore, just gonna take it 1 day at a time.

he is really doing so well this week, i have spent as much time with him as i possibly can and i can really see the light at the end of the tunnel, names this week, and the nurse said to me today that he said to her "you ask karen where" she thinks he was asking her where i was, i laughed today when she also told me jims brother went to see him and he said "you go now" and his brother thought he meant that jim wanted him to take him home, now i know my jim and i know he was telling him to p-ss off, not very sociable is he lol.

nedd to clear my head i think, went to ikea today to get a few things got to the till put my card in put the pin number in and it said incorrect so tried it again still the same so 3rd time lucky NO, so blocked my card, tried jims card that did the same, tried again n the same 3rd time lucky again NO locked that one as well,well everyone behind me tutting i could of died, son in law was with me so he paid for it all. asked the asssitant if they were having a problem with the card machines no everyone else was ok.

got in the car and suddenly realised i had done the very same thing 3 weeks ago and had a new pin for my card, WHAT A MUPPET, still did'nt see why jims had been blocked.

got home antony was there and said i put jims card on the fireplace mum, errrr what card, the card you gave me the other day to go to b&q, ha ha i had only tried to use an old card of jims that was in my purse.

god help poor jim when he comes home ha ha

thanks for all your kind words of encouragement i have had over the last few weeks they have truley lifted my spirits no end to know that there are people out there who have been through the same thing, i only wish you had'nt.

hope your all keeping well and i will let you know how things go over the weekend

love n hugs to you all

karen x:confused:

So sorry Jim never came home on Friday Karen, but you sort out your credit cards and get good nights rest.

Jim will be home soon, I had to stay in a few days longer also grrrrr MRSA of skin was around in wards so hubby and daughter were disappointed not to get me home.

I do nothing but yakety yak now poor s*ds lol.

All will be well and Jim will be home soon I am sure of it just keep the faith xx Jim sounds like he is doing well, keep it up for

whatever you are doing it seems to be working for Jim,

Good Luck to you All and son Antony

Get him home xx

Love

WinB143 xx xx xx

still no jim home, they need 2 carers 4times aday and are having difficulty with the teatime carers so just have to wait, ALL I WANT IS MY JIM HOME i am so impatient ar'nt i ha ha.

had moving n handling today, what a farce just showed me how to use the rota stand which i have been using everyday for the last 2 weeks.

SOME ADVICE NEEDED

I received a claim booklet today to see if i can claim disability allowance for jim, flippin eck its like a book, spoke to the social worker at the hospital and asked if there was anybody there that could help with filling it in, she said they dont have a welfare officer there to help, who else can i ask for help filling it in, she did say to be very careful filling it in as the dept work n pensions are very strict on things they look for in the claim packher, but i know hes still in there somew, i dont have any letters or anything like that to send them as proof that jim has been poorly.

dont think i can even get my head round it yet, i sit here sometimes and start thinking of thing that have happened in the last 15 weeks n just shake my head, i cant believe all that has happened to such a nice loving adoreable man, i know hes still in there somewhere. will things ever be the same again, jim gets so frustrated when hes trying to tell me something that wont come out, has anybody else lost there speech for this long and then been able to talk again, i feel so helpless when hes trying so hard then he starts sobbing his heart out and i feel so bad for him.

WILL I EVER WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE?????????????????????????????

KAREN X:shock:

The forms are very tricky to fill in and you do need help as key phrases and words are looked for. Your local council or county council should have a welfare rights dept or failing that the CAB. My advice is to try the council first as their officers sometimes visit doctors surgeries and I have found them to be much more efficient than CAB. Hope you get Jim home in the very near future.

Hi Karen,

Sorry to hear how frustrating all of this is for you both. You really must feel like you are in a nightmare whilst wide awake.

The DLA form is a biggie!! Citizens advice can help you fill it in. I used a service called Welfare Benefit Support which is run through the local council up here - they sent a lady to my house to do the forms. Also, can you ask if Jim will be allocated a stroke nurse or similar when he gets home, they can help with forms too. You could also ask either at the hospital or your GP for a supporting letter detailing Jims condition to send with the forms. He will also get discharge forms when he is released - they don't say much, just what treatment he has had and what his original diagnosis was. These help a little bit as supporting evidence to send with your forms too.

I hope the carers situation is sorted very soon. It must be incredibly draining for you to keep going to and from the hospital every day & I'm sure Jim will feel so much happier back in his own home.

Michelle xx

It cannot be easy for you all but I am sure with your help Jim will progress.

I had a stand and had to haul myself up, hurt my arms and was scared I'd fall but I am here to tell the tale.

I know it sounds daft but once I came out of cuckooland as I call it I was determined to walk, never let Jim know

you are down, it will be hard work for you Karen but you and family can see Jim right.

Get the zimmer frame and get him to walk into it then move a bit more, all will be well as he is alive and overcome the worst

bit...Good Luck to You and Jim, Karen ..

Keep smiling and singing along with him xx

Best Wishes to you both and keep yourself well also, as we can be awkward so and so's lol

Love

WinB143 xx xx

Hey Karen, Win says it well. On the crying that's just part of what strokes do to us... I don't mind telling you that picture of jim and your gorgeous baby granddaughter moved me to tears. How special! (Only have to waft a baby near me and I cry! :lol: ) its called emotional lability i think so don't worry About jim letting the tears flow, either of you, it's normal.

I am sure the last few weeks will have been a real trial but in amongst all the tears and pain there is usually something sweet to savour. Looking forward to Having lots of grandchildren cuddles in the comfort of his own home in the coming weeks will be sweet medicine. Keep the faith.

Oh on help with the forms, there is a charity called Different Strokes, they focus on helping people under the age of 65 who've had ischemic or hemorrhage strokes, I am pretty sure they can offer some advice and help. Worth a call to their helpline maybe. I've found them useful on other things.

I WANT TO SHOUT FROM THE ROOFTOPS

MY JIM IS HOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM SO HAPPY

jim came home on wednsday.

very emotional day for jim and myself

he has come on leaps n bounds, in 4 days only 2 accidents where he has been wet, i knew it, i have said it all along that he was'nt incontinent it was just that he had no wat of letting the staff know when he wanted to go,

cant stay on long as jim is fast asleep and i am a bit tired but oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so happy.

even had a cuddle sat on his knee today n it felt like we had never been apart.

long job ahead of us now but we have leapt over the hurdles that have been in front of us this last 4 months and well jump the ones that come next.

thanks for info about the forms will defo look into 1 day this week.

will try to get on here again soon with updates

thank you all for your very kind and comforting words

i cant express how well you have all made me feel.

love to you all

karen xx:biggrin:

So pleased to hear Jims Home Karen. xx

Now onwards and upwards and keep the faith

Hard on you both but you will make it ~ You have each other xx

All the Best Karen and Jim, and Jim do as Karen says lol xx no arguing.

Best Wishes to you Both

Love

WinB143 xxxx

Hi Karen

I haven't been on here for a little while but what wonderful news to read that Jim is now home with you! :D

I am sure with all your love, understanding, and patience his recovery will be visibly noticeable now he is out of the hospital!

Good luck

Kel x

Hi all,

i cant believe the difference in jim in less then 1 week at home, toileting is going great, jim lets me know when he needs the commode and we have only had 2 accidents in the time hes been home, i knew i was right that he could do it if only the means were put in front of him.

he is so happy and content full of smiles and laughter and hes not even getting aggitated or frustrated when hes trying to tell me something he just says what he can then tries and says "oh f--k" and laughs.

am now waiting for an appointment with the incontinent nurse as he does not seem to know when he wants a wee at night whilst he is in bed, one of the enablement team said it could be that he does'nt get the same sensation of wanting a pee when he is lay down, does make me wonder why he was not reccomended to the incontinence nurse in hospital though, me wonders if it was because they knew they wer'nt doing all they could for jim.

last night before he went to bed i said "do you fancy a cuppa jim" yes he said, say "please" i said and i will make you one "PLEASE" he said i was overjoyed and we both laughted, you want "tea" jim "TEA" he said, so am now making it my aim for him to repeat single words in every sentence i say to him.

Yet more good news this morning got a letter from the insurance (critical illness) a cheque will be in the bank to pay the mortgage off within 5 days.

we seem to have gone through so much heartache in the last 4 mths that someone now is looking out for us and making things a lot easier for us.

on the DLA form front a lady is coming to see us at the end of the week to help us fill the forms in shes from tameside council and she helps housebound people with things like this.

we wont be housebound for much longer i have some portable ramps coming on thursday so its

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS from now on.

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh am so happy today my 2 little grandchildren are just on there way round with mummy to see grandad n nani, we hear ellie 3yr old all the way down the street shouting "i cuddle my ga gad" adoreable the pair of them and make life so worth living.

karen xxx

:thumbsup: Great to hear all that Karen, have to say I came on leaps and bounds when I got home, which is why I point blank refused to go back to rehab when I had the meningitis but thinking back now I was selfish because it was a lot of work for my husband....