Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello!

By registering with us, you'll be able to view our forums in full as well as discuss, share and private message other members of Behind The Gray. Why not join us now?
Karen

Medication post SAH

What medications do you or did you take after your SAH?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. What medications do you or did you take after your SAH?

• Anti-Depressants
    • Anti-Seizure Medication without Seizures
    • Anti-Seizure Medication with Seizures
    • Pain Medication
    • Nerve Pain Medication such as Lyrica/Gabepentin/ Cymbalta
    • Aspirin
    • Sleeping Aid
    • Anxiety Medication
    • Blood Pressure Medication
    • Other

This poll has been posted on behalf of our member MaryB

I am not asking for anyone to divulge what medications they are on as it is a private matter you may not want to discuss on open forum. I was wondering after reading so many posts if any have been prescribed medications following their SAH?

It seems to me when I read post that many are not on any medications after their event. Does anyone take a baby aspirin? Something to sleep? Pain medication? Antidepressants? Anti Seizure Medication? Nerve Pain medications?

I fully understand people not wanting to take medications. This is not judging but I find it somewhat fascinating that you could get by without any. I know that defeat one feels when you give in to a medication as I have had chronic pain for 20 years ( and I cannot really take pain medications) and I feel like I should be able to do mind over matter to solve any problem!!! If only my MIND were a bit stronger!

Sincerely, Mary

Hopefully, this thread is now sorted and you can make a multiple choice! xx

I have to be honest, it really bothers me that I need to take these medications. The anxiety meds I've taken for awhile, but the others are to deal with the headaches and I don't think they work. I've been thinking of going off of them because I don't like the side effects. Oh, I forgot to mark aspirin (for my FMD) and pain medication, but generally only take that once or twice a month if I don't have to drive and my head is out of this world.

Teecher,

It bothers us all to take medications I think. I take a lot I feel, and everytime I want to cut something out I cannot. I take major high doses of allergy meds on top of everything else but when i cut back my oral lichen planus breaks out.

I take thyroid meds for 30 years, cymbalta ( you could not prey that out of my hands as I know the difference that makes). A baby asprin, acid reflux, progesterin( as they dont want to add the major menopause on top of everything elses - just made my family dr decide what to do withthat one). My ritalin I am so back and forth on that but geez I can work at least and the therapist who I thought woudl say cut it back said to use it everyday so I can focus and meditate. AND I havent even got to the night time medications yet!

Yes, I think we all hate bowing down to taking them but I hardly take anything for pain or a muscle relaxer or the celebrex but maybe 2 or 3 times a week. I am in a catch 22 of if I lay around my fibro get bad if I do to much it get bad than I throw that brain thing in with thinking.........too much. But when I look at all the other issues I have and my GP agrees I need to worry about the quality of my life at this point. I need to be able to get up and function.

ANd all though I know it is not true I STILL think in my heart if I were stronger I would be able to not take anythign and find balance somehow. That is such poor thinking as b4 the nerve pain meds & stroke, SAh I was stumbling and losing my balance. So I know they work and I NOW think I woudl be a mess of falling down all the time without them.

What the choice? MAryb

I'm on amytrip & have been for nearly 3 years, it helps me sleep but my GP also thinks it helps with pain (I'm not sure it does). I'm trying to reduce the dose & am managing on 10mg instead of 15 but I don't know if I can manage without it (My gp didn't seem very happy when I said I wanted to wean off it).

I am still taking Mirtazapine which is an anti d, I wanted to increase the dose but my gp wasn't keen on the idea (not sure why) so I'm still taking the minimum dose.

For headaches I take paracetamol, sometimes ibuprofen althfor my bp though its bad, for co codamol is the best controlling pain especially from my back but you can't take it for too long because of becoming addicted.

I don't like taking anything but I know I need to get my natural sleep rythmn back so I want to reduce the anti d too as its a sedative too

I'm now taking a BP med although most gps haven't bothered checking it for 2 years & its borderline high (the lower figure is too high). I now take the highest dose of that as does hubby as there is a history of high bp & cholesterol in his family.

I also take other meds so ticked others ie iron tablets. Epilepsy pills.

Plus medicines for blood poisoning/Sepsis and Ventriculitus do not remember any of this so cannot remember

names of them. also whatever they gave me when in coma.

Some help I am

Regards

WinB143 xx

I did take almost all of these when I was discharged. I got off them ASAP as I wanted to assess my true condition at the time. It was funny that really, I had no side effects of any meds. The symptoms were all me...all due to SAH...which is to also say that none of the meds really helped either.

I now take Tylenol if I have a headache and Magnesium for constipation as my SAH was near the pons and really has slowed down some of my autonomic functions. Other than that, I do get neuropathy symptoms, but they are transient and ever changing and it tends to come as a precursor of healing in that area for me...so I just go with it/live with it.

I'm the kind of person who'd rather live in the state my body truly is rather than use medications to cover symptoms. I know others don't share this opinion, but it works for me. I have always this perspective and have been a life long asthma sufferer. I do get help when my life is threatened...that's the only reason I am here today. I should have died 3 times, but modern medicine saved me each time.

~Kris

Kris

I had thought that all of my symptoms in the hospital were due to the medication (imbalance, dizziness, shaking, etc.) When I got home I did go off all medication I was shocked to find that the problems were still there. I honestly think my neurosurgeon was as well. I think she truly had this idea, "I've done my work there! Be healed and go on with your life!"

While I would love to get off my medication, the fact is my headaches are debilitating and I don't have a choice; I have to work. I need to get my business back on its feet. I have this aversion to living in a cardboard box. ;) I worry that if they're bad now; at least a level 3 headache daily with 1-3 days a week of severe headache where I have to modify my day, what happens if the meds are actually helping?

Maybe over the summer I'll try to wean off all of them.

• Like 1

Ah Teechur, You do what you have to do to make it. I wish I could live medication free and I have tired. I think it is always a good idea to wean and go without for awhile to see where you are at. But every so often my GP and I have a conversation about which ones I can live without and as he says there are none unless I want to spiral out of control.

I am not willing to be miserable everyday and be ruled by my ailments. I would not have a life at all if I did not give in to taking them.I recently had the pro and cons of going off my prgesterine at my last appointment and I ended up renewing the prescription as full blown menopaus would do me in. I was weaning off for awhile and I have to say it is nice not having constant hot flashes and hormonal changes.

I have to say I understand the feelings of some people who do not believe in them but as hard as I fought not to take them I am sure glad I did, at least I have a better QUALITY life with them. I am auto immune and have had a chronic illness for about 20 years. I tell you I beat myself up enough with thinking I can "handle" it if I were only a bit stronger! All my pain meds and any anti inflamm. meds trigger my auto immune issue so that takes care of that for me but I refuse to sit home and be miserable and self absorbed all day because I cannot function without help from medication.

I see many people not SAH people who do not or will not take any medications and they just keep playing that same old song over and over again. So if you refuse to take blood pressure medication or heart medication and you fall over with a heart attack or stroke I do not understand that at all. Yes, you need to eat right and exercise and be mentally healthy but geez if you think you are going to fight the gene pool your parents gave you I think you must be crazy!

So Teech, we all would like to do without and if that is not possible it is ok. Really it is not the end of the world. I watched my mother be depressed most of my life and she not only did not believe in medications she did not believe in doctors! What a life wasted she had, it is sad. And sadder yet that it affects more than that person it is your family and friends that suffer as well. I think we should all strive to be the best we can be and if I have to take pills to do so it is better than being curled up in a ball in the corner! maryb

• Like 2

I would not have thought aspirin was good as it thins the blood..... ?? not sure though as my wife was never advised either way.

My wife was advised - pre and post 2nd SAH - by neurologist to take "small dose" of anti siezure drug rather than painkillers for headache.

In small doses its more a painkiller, but, obviously also anti seizure..... he advised long term dosage of Codene "could" make headaches worse, resulting in higher doage of codene and so the cycle starts.

It worked, it got her off the codene/coden mixed drugs and ultimately off the anti siezure drugs too.

I would not have thought aspirin was good as it thins the blood....

Medical opinion now seems to vary re: benefits of Aspirin post SAH - some members have been prescribed it and some haven't (patient cases on here will always vary) and there have been a few clinical studies as to its benefits and safety.

Always check with your Doctor if you're worried about anything that you've been prescribed.

Bisoporal = heart compliant. Lyrcia = nerve pain/spasticity. Epilum chrono = anti seizure. Aspirin = blood thinner.

2 month council leisure center membership (prescribed) as I refused anti depressants.

Told that aspirin and bisoporal are for life and the rest I will try and get off as soon as safe to do so.

Before my SAH I refused to take any medication and maybe had a dozen or so paracodols for teeth pain, just didn't need it.

My husband was told no asprin for the first 6 months.  He just takes ibuprofen.  So I checked other.  He takes no other medicine mainly because of his job and the fact that he doesn't want to take anything stronger..

Someone who I know has to take aspirin everyday he had a sah however I wasn't prescribed it but I can take it (well wasn't told not to) everyone is different xxx

I was on aspirin pre SAH for heart problems. I don't know if I took it in hospital but I did take it at home and still do. There seems to be varying opinions on that one. Risk outweighs the benefits or benefits outweigh the risks.

At the moment I am on an intramuscular injection of another blood thinner, only for 14 days, after a recent operation. Nothing was said about SAH and not having it. As I have said, opinions vary from surgeon to surgeon.

Mary, i am >2 years post nasah. I took dilantin and keppra initially but was off both by 6 months. All I'm taking now is bp med, cholestrol med,occasionally ambien for sleep. I have tramodol I can take but seldom do. I find a couple of extra strength tylenol work better for me. I've never been offered anything for anxiety or depression. I had a mri friday and see the neurologist wednesday so this may change. Will update you if it does.

• Like 1

Hi Mary,  I am > 6 years post SAH.  Immediately following the rupture and surgery to clip a second aneurysm I was on pain medication for a few months to control head-aches.  I am one of the fortunate ones, and the head-aches did not last.  I went back to working and trying to live my normal life, but was frequently frustrated with bouts of anxiety, lack of focus, and memory issues.  I finally had my neurosurgeon recommend a neurologist who has helped me immensely with a low dose SSRI anti-depressant (Cymbalta).

I will always remember my first appointment with him.  He said something like - Let me guess, Dr. Kim (the neurosurgeon) told you that you are cured, go and live your life, right?  Well, you may not have an aneurysm to worry about, but no one escapes the SAH free and clear.  Part of your brain died.  You cannot do all the things you did before the way you did then. 

I didn't want to take medication and struggled for over five years.  I'm not saying I don't ever have difficult days now, but I feel much better.  I also find that taking vitamins (especially B complexes) and other brain-supporting supplements help.

• Like 4

When I was released from the hospital I was on codeine. 

Also on sodium pills, because it was low. I was on that for about a month after hospital.

Now, I'm on Clonazapam (anti-anxiety) and very recently Zoloft ( anti depressant). I have to so say that so far I don't like the Zoloft because it makes me uneasy and uncomfortable. I have to take Clonazapam with it to take the edge off of the Zoloft. Before I was only taking the Clonazapam as needed. Now I take it twice a day. 

Can't wait to get off the Zoloft. My doc says 6 months.

Hope you are doing well now Code and got used to shunt !!

I have come down from Keppra by 3 over a few months and feel so much better, okay I have the odd nap in chair/bed  lol but not half as sleepy as I was.. now just got to get my get up and go  xx

Be Well All xxx

Win xxxx zzzz

• Like 1

Hi all,

I am approaching 7 years since my SAH.

After taking Ramipril in 2010 they switched me to cocktail of Amlodipine, Doxazosin and Lisinopril - all of which have been upped in strength along with a new addition in 2016 - Indapimide which has already been doubled.

Amitriptyline 50mg for pain releif - debateable if is offers anything in that arena - just makes me sleep, sadly doesn't stop sleep being punctuated and haphazard.

A week out of hospital and the diastolic hit 99 today, 120/99.. 

So - more increases in medication, at times I wonder why, nothing is going to make me better!

ian

Ian, you have to listen to the doctors. They will be trying to find a combination that will work for you. There may be other changes along the way.

It may be worth going back to your doctor if your blood pressure remains high.

Hi all, 

Mario, I am keeping in touch with the doctor. To be honest I have received really good care from her and the nursing staff I have weekly reviews with, I cannot fault them - it is simply frustration at taking one step forward and three back if you know what I mean.

I think it is inevitable I will have another increase in dose of Doxazosin (Cardura XL) and probably the Lisinopril, it just seems that no matter what they raise it is barely a month before the diastolic in particular starts to climb again.

Anyway from Today I have embarked upon the 'Mediterranean Diet' which I will adhere to for at least 4 weeks - just to see if it really makes a difference. I lost 6kg in August possibly thanks to that Hospital stay, but if it helps then that is a bonus.

Is there a different form of medication out there that say the US doctors prescribe against our own?

Ian