Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello!

By registering with us, you'll be able to view our forums in full as well as discuss, share and private message other members of Behind The Gray. Why not join us now?
Sign in to follow this  
Karen

Leg Pain

How often do you experience leg pain post SAH?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you experience leg pain post SAH?

• Never
    • Once a week (1-2 days)
    • Most days (4-5 days)
    • Every day

The following poll has been posted on behalf of David (amexdm)

How often do you have leg pain related to the SAH or since the SAH?

Think mine was caused by OT as I could not open legs and she snapped them open and I heard a crack.

Since she did that my leg/groin/botty area hurt.

Guess not the same as yours David but keep fighting it xx

WinB143

xx

Sorry david, I have a lot of leg and foot pain but it was all before SAH and due to my fibro so I have no idea where I would say I am now. Sitting makes it worse, laying around makes it worse but that is a pain that "walks" a fine line of doing too much or too little. I am certainly worse if I am off work adn sit at computer for hours working though. Or if I have stood and walked on concrete all day as well. Think sitting blocks something?

Good Luck MAry

David, I said once a week. When I'm fatigued though its more often. I'm just in a good place with the battle of fatigue right now. If I worked full time as you do I would be surprised if my legs weren't hurting everyday.

Sandi K.

David,

I have voted 1-2 a week. I do not experience pain exactly, but a sense of heaviness in my legs. I think Sandi described it as lead weights strapped to each leg, and that just about sums up how I feel.

I believe it is directly related to periods of fatigue, and more precisely high levels of concentration/brain activity. Sitting at my laptop for any length of time can trigger it.

Wem

This is interesting.

Since childbirth, I have had very stiff legs and feet; although I didn't experience this after the SAH.

I wonder if fatigue is causing it, as my GP / rheumatologist have not diagnosed anything; as yet, anyway. I am considerably weaker too.

I wouldn't describe the sensation as pain as such, more of a discomfort.

Interesting to hear that others have expereinced leg pain.

Oh here I am again about Fibro. Before I was diagnosed I had horrible heavy legs that felt like I was walkingin quick sand often and every step was exhausting. My feet however felt like I ran 10 miles on stones all night - I coudl barely walk in the morning.

Fibro has no know cause (YET) but often comes after an acccident, trauma or illness.

Sorry just had to add that. I will stop it now. Mary B

Hello all:

Thanks for responding and thanks to Karen for setting up. It is not fun having leg pain every day, which is what i checked. I do get heavy legs like others but also dull and other pains. Also feet sometime feel like beaten by hammers.

I've asked 5 doctors. Three ignored it, one gave me a long spiel about leg bone being connected to the leg bone etc, and my GP said it is my brain sending wrong signals to my leg.

My theory is it is fatigue. I say this becasue my leg pain startted EXACTLY when I went from 28 to 40 hours per week. That exact time. I went to the doc right then and he said it was anxiety. Right

So I'm trying to tie brain injury and leg pain. Rather unsuccessfully. Googled it and found not much. But I do believe it is due to fatigue. But as Mary said, I just want the doctors to tell me/ "It's from fatigue and you're stuck with it". Maybe I can mentally move on from it then.

Tried a new medication and it gave me very poor side effects and didnt help much. Thanks all. Some days I can barely get out of bed and other days not as bad. How the heck am I supposed to exercise? I dont sit all day and moving does help. Kind of like Restless leg all day with pain. Oh well, thanks for letting me vent.

I hope to hear from more people also.

David

My leg pain I noticed after I had Garry so I ain't sure wether mine was as a result of sah. Jess.xxx

Hmmmm....that's a hard one to answer....

I wouldn't say I have leg 'pain' but more a heavy leg issue if I do anything physical OR just from being tired. When fatigue hits everything is 'heavy', arms as well as legs, hands, feet, back. I knock things over, I drop things, I trip over things. Not so much sore - just heavy & not co-ordinated so not sure if that's the same as 'pain'?However, if I keep pushing through it the heavy feeling does become pain like I have never known previously - from head to foot & I can no longer walk or talk coherently. David, could that be the same as being fatigued & still doing full time work (as you say it got worse as soon as you increased your hours)? I'm pretty sure that as tiredness makes mine worse, pushing through would lead to severe pain. (Did I say 'pretty sure'? Having tried it for 2 years back at work I should now say that I 'know' :shock: )

I did ask a local GP about fibro/ME last year and was told it would be 'unlikely after a SAH, it's more usual after an illness, perhaps you are depressed' Oh, OK :shock: Mary, thank you for the triggers you listed which makes more sense!!

Lin-Lin/Jess I wonder if the onset of leg pain only after pregnancy means it's an added pressure on your pelvis & lower limbs when you may already be weaker after a brain injury? If soley SAH related maybe it would have been there from the start?

Finally, David, you said you have been googling SAH/leg pain and not found much - that doesn't mean it's not related!! I never found on Google, but learned from another BTG member that shunts & shoulder pain ARE related - apparently, one of the abdominal muscles are involved in the 'draining to' point of a brain shunt, and this muscle can cause shoulder pain. I would never have found that on any search as I had no idea there was a link between them and I have never come across anyone mentioning both (probably as, like me, they would never have connected the 2 issues) so don't ever give up asking questions of others.

Michelle xx

Edited by goldfish.girl

I don't get pain as such, but they go 'dead' quite often. It's a strange and unpleasant sensation which doesn't stop when changing position, hence seemingly not related to circulation and thanfully it doesn't occur as often as it used to. I can relate to having very sore soles of feet though. If I wear anything other than the ankle boots I have for work or my trainers, my feet feel the way some of you have already described...like a hammer has been taken to them. I haven't voted because I feel that I don't entirely fit the poll somehow and I don't want to skew the results.

Dawn x

I have been suffering leg pain since Christmas. but this is a year and a half after the SAH. Not sure if it is related. I go for a cardio doppler test next week. I will vote once I get the results

Hi Everyone

Just to add my twopennyworth, I've found that I can't walk for as long as I used to as my legs and feet start hurting after about 10-15 mins. I've been trying to go out for a little walk every day to try and build up strength and stamina and to get me out of the house as ever since I got out of hospital in February I seem to spend all day eating!

I thought if I did a bit every day it would get better but it hasn't yet. I'm going to try swimming today, although I've got to walk for a while to get to the pool so I don't know if I'll be any better off.

It seems as if the whole body is affected as my hands seem weaker and I feel clumsy all the time.

Liz

Got the results from the doppler exam and treadmill. The pain is not caused from any circulation problems. Not sure if it is SAH related. I dont think so since it really didnt hit till christmas. Not tax pain since I got money back. I hope they find what it is.

You all know I have the daily leg pain like David. I have heavy legs sometimes, I have slight tingly sensation at other times. I have also felt like my pains are linked with fatigue. I tried cardio exercise to see if that would help and it made it all worse. When I was actually exercising which I did daily, it felt great, but then afterwards my legs felt like they weren't even my own...like they were floating off into space or something. I stopped. They got better. I found yoga. They got better. I used to do a ti chi soft knee and hip movements during walks if my knees or hips started bothering me. I still do this, but only need to every so often now. I can't balance on one leg very well either and if I try my hip that is supporting my weight just screams at me. I am weak of these tiny muscles, but that makes me all the stronger for trying. Learning to live with pain is very interesting. It only leaves when I give it up in meditation. Then it comes back...I am so familiar with it...so in a backwards way it comforts me. Deep thoughts.

~Kris

I might be late to the party here but I wanted to add that I have leg pain every day. It is much worse when I'm fatigued. My doctors have given steriods and percocet for it. My neurologist explained that any amount of blood in the brain that drains downward in the cerebral spinal fluid will cause pain because it is a closed loop system and not meant to handle any extra fluid. Any amount no matter how big or small can throw it off. Now that being said..... they told me it would go away after a few months. It has not. My physical therapist put it simply.... this just might be your deficit. Thinking of how far I've come in such a short time, from not being able to walk at all and having my vestibular system completely screwed up, the pain seems like something I can accept. I'm tyring to exercise to keep my circulation working good and keep my muscles loose.