Fatigue Crash Barrier

It always helps to read on here.

I'm so sorry Wem. You are not alone. I was commenting to a fellow teacher that I am disappointed to be heading back to work no better than I left. But it is what it is and we can't force it. Doesn't mean we can't be ticked about it when it limits us, though.

*HUGS*

• 2 weeks later...

Have decided to share with you my experiences of yesterday and today, as it suits this thread.

Yesterday, was one of my better days for a variety of reasons. My mother-in-law collected Osian (my son, aged 1) at around 9.30 am and they went on a little day trip, spending some important Granny and Grandson time. He was returned around 5 ish - which meant a day of no commitments for me - yippee!

I started off my day by going to the gym. (First time this year, I think.) It was empty and I was the only person there. Utter bliss. I did some walking on the running machine and then lifted some light weights, using the machines. (Not major athletic stuff, but good for me!)

I came home to a quiet, empty house and did housework. Osian came home at 5 ish and I did the usual evening routine, with help from Luke.

Osian, as per usual, awoke twice last night, but nothing out of the ordinary there. I fell asleep with the thoughts of SAH, far, far away. It was a good day.

However, I awoke this morning with the 'Fatigue Monster' sitting on my shoulder; like some kind of pay pack for having the audacity to enjoy myself the previous day.

The term 'brain fog' doesn't quite do it justice; it was more like The Great London Smog of 1952. (I should have walked around with a fog light flashing on my head today - such was the mist.)

I have stuttered and spluttered my way through sentences; I have tripped over floor rugs and have used a series of nouns, before getting to the one I need. I.e. "Can you pass the blanket, erm cushion, I mean pillow?"

I've just had my Mum on the phone with the "Do you think you over did it yesterday?" chat and I could hear my father in the background telling me to pace myself better. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

So just goes to show, even us 'SAH old-timers' can get it wrong! This was a classic case of doing too much one day and not leaving enough for the next.

I will take it easy tomorrow and put a muzzle on that Fatigue Monster.

L xxx

Oh Lin, that made me laugh but also shake my head a little sadly at the familiarity of this. Today I too have been mixing my nouns up , yesterday I fell flat on my face because my leg just didn't get the message that we were still walking ( soft landin thank goodness) and earlier I tried to put a pad and pencil away in the fridge much to my duaghters amusement.:wink:

I still find it scary how little I have left in reserve after doing only a fraction of an activity that I would have previously done unthinking but I guess the enjoyment of being able to do even that little amount knowing what could have been....well we all know that feeling.

Aughhhhhhh Fatigue!! Such a dirty word to me. I would so much rather have pain I think? Or why is this even a debate in my head. Or maybe that is because I am struggle so much with fatigue. My neuro and now GP have changed my hyper activity medication to Adderall and I cannot tell you how much I hate taking it. I promised I would take my 10 mg daily for a month to see if it would help. I think I am ½ through the month. I was hoping a change in "thnking" I was tired would change my "feeling" tired. I am tired but don't blink!:lol:

Note I have been diagnosed with chronic fatigue along past few years with 20 plus years into my fibro. I really only need 2 days a month to feel like the old Mary and be normal. Sounds like I am shooting low but 2 are all I am asking for. It gives me hope. My tiredness was around noon everyday crept up to 9:00 am. I was like give me a break! I am awake only due to the medication. I still cannot overdo it. Medication for me has not been the miracle I wanted or that magic pill.

I can work and I work full days twice a week. I can hold a job but that is basically it. I have to pace my life to a large degree, if I do something on my days off it is like working, visiting with friends and family is exhausting for the most part having to carry on conversations-I prefer them to be short visits like over dinner or lunch and not an all day thing.

I work 34 hours a week in a veterinary clinic with loud animals, phones ringing etc not the ideal post SAH job but needing that health insurance is top priority for now. I also have to say I often wonder had I not gone back to work would I have regained as much mentally? I can do my job in my sleep, hahahaha no pun intended. :lol: I really have not lost too much of what I use to be at work or can say I can justify my wage. I am still very productive.But by noon I start to fade I can push through most days until 5:00 but I head straight for the couch when I get home. I cannot have nothing to do or I would want to lay down so now I am asking receptionist for paper work to fill out so I can sit and be busy when I am slow in appointments. But it is mental and physical. I am best without any added bologna added in the day. But the fatigue! Oh my how much I wish to wake refreshed and feel great once in awhile.

MaryB

Yep we can get it wrong we do too much it tells on us the next day, but I found that it has gotten easier with what I can and cant do.

Lynne you should have went to the gym and left it at that, or done house work and that's all, but obviously you felt you could so mark that up as a plus - its swings & roundabouts as I say..