Debbie, New, Tired and Frustrated!!

debz

Hi, name is Debbie and this is the first thread I have written, but then over the last few weeks I have had a lot of firsts.

I had a SAH clipped 12 weeks ago yesterday and I have many questions. I was thrilled to find this site as I feel no one, including myself, understands what I am going through.

I, foolishly maybe, thought that at the 3 month mark I would be back to my old self, have the energy levels I used to have and no longer feel in pain across my wound, was this just silly? I feel exhausted after only 2/3 hours of doing anything, which in turn make my head hurt and twitch a lot. I could really do with knowing if this is normal? I have an appointment with my surgeon in three weeks, can't wait, but it is so nice to finally find other people who have been through the same.

I'm not a great sleeper or a great rester so I am maybe slowing down my recovery by doing to much. What do you think?

Best wishes to all of you on here

Edited by Tina
Added name to tiltle :)

Hi Debbie & welcome to BTG

I think we can all relate to the expectation of being 'better' after the 3 month mark or even the 6 month mark! unfortunately not many of us are back to how we were after that short time. Medically we may be healed or almost healed but our brains & emotions take much longer to heal than bone. On the home page read 'A letter from your brain' which really helps put things in perspective.

The only realistic time scale I was given was by the neuro psych I saw who said 12months -2 years but people further down the line will tell you recovery is still happening years later.

Rest is important in the early days as is lots of water, if you feel lightheaded or have headaches this is often the indicator that you are doing too much. Its hard to find the balance between doing too much & pushing your boundaries a little at a time but you will find your own way.

Just rest when you can or when you start to tire/get brain freeze & push things a little further when you feel able to. If you have any questions just shout & someone on here will be able to help or offer advice.

Take care xxx

Hi!

I just hit my four month mark and it is way better than the three month mark.

I thought this magical day would come and I'd be kicking my heels. Nope. I had a lot of ups and downs. Time and patience. A very wise person told me your recovery is yours. Take your time and do not push anything.

I

Hi Debbie and a warm welcome to BTG.

Recovering from a sah can certainly be slow and frustrating. One of the biggest errors of judgement that many of us on here who have suffered a sah make, is the time that we expect it to take to be back to our old selves again. This is not helped by the fact that on leaving hospital, we are not given any guidance on how long it might be take and that is quite possibly because no-one really knows. We are all individuals whose recovery varies, but I doubt there are many who could honestly say they were fully recovered in 3 months.

I was never one for resting prior to my sah and wasn't great at it afterwards, but was often forced to take sleep during the day just to get through the day. I now believe that the extra sleep was needed to help repair my brain and whilst I really resented daytime naps (as it seemed never ending at the time), I am convinced it must have done me good as I very rarely have daytime rest now and finally, over the past few months, feel as if I have my pre-sah energy levels back. I am approaching my 5 year mark in November and I often think it would have been useful if we were pre-warned that recovery from a brain injury can, but does not always, take many months or even years, if only to avoid disappointment and frustration along the way.

Wishing you all the best for your own recovery,

Sarah

Hi Debbie.

I suffered a SAH on 7th May 2012 and am still recovering. 12 months to 2 years is a good estimate. I hit a bad patch after 3 months as that was when the fatigue, nausea and sore muscles set in. I have good days and bad. But feel that every time I am tired, my brain is repairing itself! I have started driving again and have a holiday booked, so please don't forget when you feel low, things will get better in time!

Lynn xx

Edited by penny
Quorte removed

Hi Debbie. Welcome, hope you managed to sleep last night.

The others have already said but the feeling of tiredness and lack of energy is normal and does persist, im at 16 months on and still gettng used to it but it's lots improved since the really early days. Main thing is to rest as much as you can to give the brain down time. You say you don't like to rest, me neither, but I set it in like a small shallenge each day and something I could tick off having achieved!:-D

As we start to look our ' normal selves' again people find it hard to understand that actually we are still battling to recover a measure of our previous stamina and activities which can be hard, I have found I just have to remind people of that.

Take care now.

Hi Debbie

Im glad you found this site, I've found it very useful because like most people i was just put out of hospital and told nothing :frown:

I had my sah on 8th may this year so 3months for me too - i look great on the outside , well exceot for my mad haircut :-). But my inside is a mess- i get really tired doing every day things, and my emotions are all over the place, i get sooo angry, irratated easily, cry at nothing, depressed, anxious, dont always like to leave the house although i tr-y and make myself- i dont know if im coming or going most of the time and its very frustrating- sometimes because i look "normal" i feel i should be normal and think people might think I'm pretending to be unwell inside.

Anyway thank god for this site, i found it after i came out the hospitsl and its helped my recovery because i know im not alone- i hope it helps you too

Lesley xx

Hi Debbie

Welcome to BTG - I'm a veteran on here but I can still relate to everything you have said. I'm 7 years past SAH on 25th August and it was a good 12 to 18 months before I stopped needing my daily nap and being able to stay awake all day.

Make sure you get plenty of rest and drink plenty of water throughout the day - the brain needs fluid to be able to function and heal. Its a long road to recovery, but feel free to take as many pit stops as you like and need - its your journey no-one elses - we're just the service stations that you need along the way really and will be here to help you all we can.

Take care of you

Hi Debbie, warm welcome to the site glad you found us.

Yes I think everyone of us can relate to you and what your going through at the moment, it does get better for some its a longer haul than other depending on how it has effected us.

everyone has said what I would write so I wont just rest a lot it really does help. And it will get better 12 weeks is no time at all really.

by the way I'm 13yrs down the line.

Hi Debbie,

It's such a relief finding this site isn't it - at last people who understand what I'm going through!! I'm just over six months into the SAH 'experience' and three months was my mark when I started to feel like me again, so I thought 'that's it, let's get on now'. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that, but everyone has different experiences and you'll find your own path. I have weeks where I feel perfectly normal and others where I can't bear any noise, any light or anyone!! As I said, we're all different and this is a great place for asking questions of others and getting information from people who have been through the same things you're feeling now.

Just be kind to yourself Debbie and do what's best for you, not what other people expect of you. If all else fails, just have a good cry - always works for me!!

Sarahk xx

A huge thank you to all of you that have replied to my thread. Your kind words and understanding, along with all your experiences, have made me feel more normal and not so "****** useless". Just have to make everyone else understand that now.

:-P :razz:

Welcome Debbie,

I am going on 2 years now but every month is better. I thought that magic "3 months" was meaning I was going to be perfect like everyone else does but pretty sure it means the incision takes 3 months to heal. I really thought I was ‘special with extra healing & will power”!

I am lucky that so many people actually "Goggled" SAH up and really "got it" including my family and co workers. I am not afraid to do less than I feel I should. I give in to being tired and resting. I cheat making meals and it is ok. It is about me and I need /needed to take care of myself. It was /is sometimes like survival mode.

BTG has been a life saver for me and many others. A place that understands what you are feeling and going though. Most of us have not gotten answers to our questions by Doctors but we get strength, understanding and friendship here to get us though our SAH recovery.

I spent hours in the beginning reading the old threads which I found so helpful and asking questions when I needed help or just needed to talk.

MaryB

Hi Debbie,

There is little I can add to this thread other than one thing I have learnt through this experience, this site can and does ensure you never feel alone.

If you have a question, are worried or just need to reach out to others who will understand, then this is the place to do it.

Be kind to yourself and take lots of rest,

Wem