Quadrantanopia

Kerryb

Not sure what you are referring to by way of your question Thegiftofsight but if it refers to the diagnosis I don't really know what the medical terms mean! I have simply transposed the Consultants diagnosis onto the above post. There are many on here that will know I am sure. A Transient Ischaemic Attack (commonly known as a TIA) is just that, transient. If I had had a TIA and not the subsequent haemorraghic transformation then I presume that I would have had my eyesight back within 24 - 48 hours.

I didn't, but have been left with an area of eyesight that is just not there (to the right in each eye and on almost an horizontal plane). In fact, it's not the eyes that aren't working but a part of my brain of the left occipital lobe (at the back of the neck and the lower part of the head I think!). The left occipital lobe controls the right side of sight etc and the right lobe controls the left.

I'd like to think that some of the posts on line (around the world) are true and the nerves eventually grow back but since it is now over six months and there has been no great signs of improvement, I am not sure that this is the case. Everyone is different and it would appear that some get improvement and some don't. I am 56 years old by the way and had no idea I had had a stroke. With strokes to the back of the head (I am told) there are none of the signs that adverts tell us to look out for in others.

I had a headache, that is all. I am not prone to headaches. When I arrived at work I started typing an email and found that part of my right vision was missing. I thought it might have been a cricked vertebra in my neck pinching a nerve, or a detached retina. I went first to my Chiropractic. It wasn't a pinched nerve in the neck. I then took myself off to Moorfields eye hospital. The consultant said, it's not your eyes so it must be neurological.  It was then that the 'S' word was mentioned! They put me in a taxi to University College Hospital and I stayed for 24 hours being prodded and poked and thoroughly checked out. CT scan, MRI scan, Physio checks etc etc. They were a marvel.

I dared not tell my wife when I was in hospital because when a stroke is mentioned the immediate image that springs to mind is massive loss of movement, not being able to walk or lift an arm, collapsed face and dribbling! I mean that in a tongue in cheek way but it is true; people always think the worst until they see you. I was back at work a week later, although I imposed fewer work hours on myself as, luckily, I own my own business and have very supportive partners and staff.

Six months later I am back to where I was work-wise. Still trying not to stress too much though and still dreaming of getting back behind the wheel and joining my mates on the annual driving trip to Europe in 2018!

Regards

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey All

Hope you don't mind me jumping in. I'm new to this forum. 22.4.17 marked two years since I had a left lobar bleed. I was 34. I'm left with a right upper quadrantanopia. I reapplied for my driving licence in Jan. I'm still waiting. I'm just interested to discuss this with people who have had the same thing. I'm also looking for any advise from people that the dvla have sent for the driving assessment. I still don't know if I will be given the option but trying to stay hopeful. 

Many Thanks. 

On 4/29/2017 at 21:57, Kelly said:

Hey All

Hope you don't mind me jumping in. I'm new to this forum. 22.4.17 marked two years since I had a left lobar bleed. I was 34. I'm left with a right upper quadrantanopia. I reapplied for my driving licence in Jan. I'm still waiting. I'm just interested to discuss this with people who have had the same thing. I'm also looking for any advise from people that the dvla have sent for the driving assessment. I still don't know if I will be given the option but trying to stay hopeful. 

Many Thanks. 

Welcome Kelly. I am in the same position as you although it is only 7 months since my stroke. Not having a driving licence is making me more depressed than the stroke makes me! Anyway, I presume that you are aware that you'll have to reapply under the 'exceptional circumstances rule? There are some really good pieces of advice above here in this very thread, from people who still have quadrantanopia but got their licence back. Maybe you need to contact DVLA every week to make sure that they actually do something about your application? Please let us know how you get on with the process as I shall be starting my own in a few months time. Please update when movement is made. Many thanks.

• 3 months later...

I was wondering if Kelly has any further news on getting her licence back? I have started the process now and am waiting to hear back from DVLA as to whether they are happy to accept me as an exceptional case. My eyesight has not returned sufficient to get it back without a driving assessment (I don't think) but I pass all the other criteria. Fingers crossed that they allow me to the next stage! 

Hi Johnnie

I finally got a letter last week apologising for the delay. Saying they received my application on the 19th Jan and they reviewed it on the 27th July. 

They have requested further information from a independent Opthamologist in my area. They say they will let me know when they have found someone and have a reply. I too pass all the other criteria and my vision deficit has become static. 

I don't hold out much hope unfortunately as I don't understand why they can't make a decision on all the detailed info I sent them. I will be gutted but trying to prepare myself. It all depends on your visual field graph you sent in. Goodluck. Let me know how you get on. 

Regards

Kelly

Good to hear from you Kelly but sorry to hear it is going so slowly for you! The DVLA told me that I should get a response fairly quickly but I am definitely going to call every two weeks to chase them up. When I wrote I provided all the information they asked for in their letter to me last year, which detailed what hoops I needed to jump through to be considered as 'an exceptional case'. I used their numbering and reiterated all their requirements in bold caps before answering each one individually. It should be so easy for the person at the DVLA to read and understand that I cannot conceive how they would need to ask for much more of me other than another Esterman and eye health check test, clinical confirmation that I have adapted to the loss of vision and then, finally, a driving assessment.

No-one at DVLA was able to confirm which clinical professional should provide the report on my adaptation to the loss of vision (quite why I have no idea. since it is they who make the rules!) but I told them that I had contacted a qualified Occupational Therapist and she would be able to provide such a report. However, I explained that this was quite expensive (£250) and could they let me know if a letter from my GP would suffice. I am hoping that a GP's letter will do the trick!

I also sent them a field of vision test I had done by a neuro-opthalomologist in June along with her report confirming that the eye test showed similar results to that I had done at Specsavers last November, following which my licence was revoked. The way I look at it is this: if my eyesight hasn't got worse since my first Esterman test (from which they revoked my licence) and they sent me a letter suggesting that I can re-apply subject to certain conditions (and I meet those conditions), how can they refuse me a driving assessment? I don't write their rules; they do. If I pass their criteria (as do you) then there is no way they should be able to refuse me (or you). No? 

I shall let you know how I get on. All the best to you.

JM

Hi Johnnie

What  'hoops' did you have to jump through to be considered.?

My doctor confirmed I passed all the items on the list for exceptional cases and my optician provided a Esterman Visual Field test but from your detailed reply it seems like you have provided a lot more than me so what do you think I might have missed? The dvla haven't asked for anything further. I have called once a month since Jan to just be told they have a huge backlog and I was in the queue. 

I wouldnt be reapplying if I thought I wasn't safe as I have two children. I had a clean licence and had done since the day I passed my test. Not that that will make any difference.  

Thanks

kelly. 

Well I am guessing that the hoops were the same as those you were advised, as on the DVLA website and included in the letter they sent you when your licence was revoked? There were the ones I have been told about....

Group 1 drivers whose previous full driving entitlement was removed because of a field defect failing to satisfy the standard may be eligible for individual relicensing consideration as exceptional cases under the following strict criteria:

·         defect must have been

·         present for at least 12 months

·         caused by an isolated event or a non-progressive condition

·         there must be no other condition or pathology regarded as progressive and likely to be affecting the visual fields (panel’s advice is that certain medical conditions, for example glaucoma and retinitis pigmentosa, would always be considered as progressive and so could not be considered as exceptional cases)

·         sight in both eyes

·         no uncontrolled diplopia

·         no other impairment of visual function, including

·         no glare sensitivity, contrast sensitivity or impairment of twilight vision

·         clinical confirmation of full functional adaptation

For exceptional cases considered to be potentially licensable under these criteria, the DVLA will then require a satisfactory practical driving assessment at an approved centre (see Appendix G).

Is this the same as you received? I call them 'hoops to jump through' but that might be a little over dramatic! Haha.

Kelly

Another quick question if you don't mind? Who provided clinical confirmation of your full functional adaptation to the loss of vision? Was it your GP?

DVLA confirmed today that they received the my letter and information on 13th August and have passed it on to another department for review. No mention of when I could expect a response and I didn't want to be too pushy as the calls are recorded and it wouldn't be good to start the process and be seen as a pusher. I shall call again in a couple of weeks to see if there is any update. A gentle reminder, I am sure, can't hurt.

Thanks for any response.

Johnnie

Hi Johnnie

Don't be worried about being seen as a 'pusher'. DVLA mut be used to people who ring constantly to chase their case. I rang regularly re mine and eventually did get things sorted. I'm sure if i had not bothered it would have been slower. Mine was purely as I had had an EVD not the same as you but I am sure the same principal applies!

Good luck

Clare xx

Hi Johnnie

It was my doctor and optician that confirmed I passed the criteria and recommended me for re-licensing under the exceptional cases. 

I chased once once a month since I sent my application in Jan. I believe I got a response after a particular email I sent that was in no way rude but it detailed how waiting this long with no idea when your case will be reviewed is unacceptable and they did actually say they are looking to employ more staff. 

Claire. Can I ask please, have you been given your licence back and do you have the same visual deficit as Johnnie and Myself?

Thanks

Kelly

Hi Kelly, my ban was purely due to having an evd placed due to hydrocephalus. It is an automatic 6 months revocation but due to dvla delays ended up 10 months. 

I didn't have any visual defects. 

Clare xx

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all. I have had confirmation from DVLA that my letter/application has been received (on 13th August actually) and have chased them to see what the progress is like. All they have been able to confirm is that it is now with the medical team to review and comment on but that there is no priority system. My application will be taken in turn with all the others and may therefore be a while. Looking at the time that Kelly's took to be looked at, it may be some time yet! Any news from DVLA Kelly? I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

My pals are off tomorrow morning on the annual driving trip to Europe. Through Spain and Portugal this year. I am gutted that I can't go. Well, I could be a passenger but that would be torture for me. Some amazing cars but the best is always the one I am driving (emphasis on the word 'driving'. It's not the best but you know what I mean!). I'll just have to cope with updates by way of photos and videos. Sad face.....

I have had homonymous quadrantanopia for 18 years and have never driven since. I have recently re applied to the DVLA and have been refused. It is my lower left quadrant that is missing which is mostly below the dashboard.  I am thinking of appealing but not sure if it is worth it.  Does anybody know -  what are exceptional cases and how do you convince them?      Is it possible to drive with quadrantanopia? I have been told is a deffo no! but reading some of these posts that does not seem to be the case.    Hope somebody can help.

Anne. I think you may have misunderstood my post. I still don't have my licence back. If you read further up the thread you'll see all the things that you'll need to apply to DVLA as an 'exceptional circumstance'. If they have refused you already then perhaps it won't be possible. It is all in the DVLA website too. I think there is a link above in the thread somewhere. 

Im just having to keep my fingers crossed! 

Hi Johnnie, Thank you for your reply. Reading all the posts it looks like I need to get my doctor and optician to certify that I meet all the criteria specified for exceptional circumstances. Also it does seem that it is possible for somebody with quadrantanopia to be successful in their application.                                               Good luck.

Hi Johnnie

I know how crushing that must be to see your mates going off on that road trip without you. I am a terribly independent person and not being able to drive and rely on even my husband to take me places I find really hard. 

Your application has made it to the medical department and I really hope they have employed extra staff as they told me they would. They have made an appointment for me to see a opthamologist at my local hospital for the end of the month. 

I'm unsure what information they can provide that my optician didn't but we will see. 

Lets keep our fingers crossed. 

Kelly. 

Fantastic news Kelly! I am sure that you will fly through it. Please come back here to let us know how you got on and what the DVLA response is. I caught a glimpse of a programme on TV last night which documents drivers who are over 90 years old. I have a work colleague who has parkinsons and he is still driving. I know of a  woman that has one eye and she drives to work every day. It all seems rather unfair doesn't it!

JM

Hi Johnnie

My husbands Aunty only has sight in one eye. The reason she has her licence is because she has full vision in the remaining eye. Where we are concerned our vision deficit effects both eyes. 

I’m really unsure why I am going to see the Ophamologist but I will go. 

I do know that people have had their licence back with this deficit but I really think it depends on the medical people you see and the person dealing with your case at the dvla. 

I just know how totally gutted I will be if my reply comes back as a no because that really will be the end of the line for my driving. 

I will let you know and I still wish you loads of luck with your application. 

Best Regards

Kelly

Kelly

I note what you say about your Aunts vision but I am pretty sure that you and I have much more visual field than she does, or anyone with only one eye. If I put my hand over my right eye then I can see perhaps 40% of what I can see with both eyes open and therefore my view is that the rules just aren't fair across the board. I try to be positive and at no point have I thought that I wont ever drive again. It may take years but I love it so much that I can't countenance life without a car.

If I get a no I shall probably use a lawyer to appeal as the rules have to be applied to everyone the same. It cannot depend on who at the DVLA is dealing with it and which doctors you use. The criteria are the same for everyone and if the criteria are met then the driving assessment should be made available to you. It really is as simple as that! The criteria are set by the DVLA after all is said and done.

Chin up Kels!!

Haha. Everyone calls me Kels :-)

I totally get what your saying. I’m probably being way to negative. 

Driving means the world to me as it does you and I just don’t know what I would do with a No from the dvla. I do know that people with our deficit have their licence and I agree everyone with this should be dealt with the same. I read somewhere that a person had lost the bottom right quadrant which he was told is worse and he got his back. 

I shall rely on you to keep me sane and positive. I’ll let you know how Tuesday goes. 

You can always email me if it’s easier. 

Kels. 

On 21/08/2016 at 09:27, Lynmac23 said:

Hi everyone got my licience back a couple of months ago it took about 2 years all in and I needed to write to the DVLA a few times as there was confusion over the exceptional case procedure but it was all worth it in the end x don't give up if you feel you can do it !!!x

Hi,    Is Lynmac23 still around?

I also have left inferior quadrantanopia. I have been to Specsavers to get another fields test. They were great in advising me how to take the test and produce a better result. One of my tests shows that have I have not missed any points within the central area. I have submitted these to the DVLA.  

Does anybody know - will this be sufficient to get my license back or will I still have to fight my corner?

Archived