Quadrantanopia

Kerryb

Hey Ally

They really wont mind if you call them every day to be hones. They are fully understanding of how keen you will be to progress things and wont be at all offended for the reminder that you are still waiting. Ask if one of the managers could email the team of doctors who will be reviewing your case to see if they can chivvy it along. It wont hurt.

Good luck and keep us informed. Also, stay positive, you have got this far without hurdle!

JM

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 03/08/2018 at 10:28, Johnnie M said:

Any news Ally? The wheels of industry do turn slowly at DVLA but you may have been lucky? If you are not doing so, call them every day to see how the process is coming along with your claim. I did! 

JM

Thank you I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. I was super excited when I got home as I had a letter from the DVLA waiting for me to open! Unfortunately it was a tax reminder ?

I have contacted the DVLA again this morning and been told they have all my information and it’s with the doctors. Apparently they have no idea how long it takes when it’s with the docs but I’m a ‘high priority’! I suspect they told me that to get me off the phone ??

Well Ally, I had all that flim flam and after a number of weeks I sent a letter of complaint (which in itself took two weeks to deal with!) but it did make a big difference and they have targets you see!

My point to them was that if I am a 'high priority case' then what is it that they are doing to reflect that fact. I knew that they had had the reports they requested as they had already confirm the dates they had received them.

I was also told *by various people at DVLA) that the information would be 'considered within two week' and it had already been 5 weeks so quite what 'high priority meant was beyond my understanding. Words to that effect anyway.

Once the complaint had been received they seemed to be on top of it and I had a specific case officer allocated to me. I guess I was just frustrated at the lack of forward movement really! Worth a try I guess. Well, it couldnt hurt.

JM

I sent my application in at the end of Jan 17. I got put to the top of the pile so to speak after I complained in July. The DVLA then began to send out their requests for medical information etc. My major step forward happened in October when I received my provisional licence for three months to get back out on the road supervised.

Mid Jan 18 I had my assessment and two weeks later exactly one year after my application I received that little peice of plastic that means the world to me. The wait was tough and unknown but a million percent worth it. Every case is handled and dealt with specifically for that person but I wish you all the luck in the world.

I made a good mate from this website and I can’t tell you how it helps to talk to other people that have gone through this scary ordeal and I’m not just talking about the DVLA. survivors 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in responding Kelly, wow,  it’s a long process to get your licence back. I bet you were so happy to get back out on the road!

Thanks to you and Johnnie, I wrote a complaint to the DVLA about 3 weeks ago. I called the DVLA this morning and they have sent me a letter today advising I’m going to be given a provisional licence to be able to do my driving assessment! I’ve never been so excited to do a driving test!!

ally 

I had every confidence that all would be fine Ally and it seems that it will be! Fantastic news!

Remember to buy L Plates for your car and don't go out on your own as you wont be insured. Your passenger will need to have had a full UK licence for over three years and you can't go on motorways. 

I only had a couple of weeks in a car before I had my assessment but it was invaluable in convincing me that all would be fine. When you get your assessment date call them and ask for a cancellation so that you can get it done as soon as possible (unless you feel you need an extended time on a provisional).

Kelly and I have recent experiences with the assessment so come back when you have had a few trips in your car and let us know how you got on. We can then give you the full modus operandi for the assessment.

You don't need to wait for the actual licence before getting out on the road. Call them again and ask if it is OK to drive now. I did exactly that, they said yes, so I left work, met my wife at the station, she drove me (in my car) to Halfords and I purchased a set of L plates, stuck them on the car and was back on the road within two hours of getting a 'Yes'.  

Have fun on the road, concentrate and take it slowly for a while. Moreover, be safe and enjoy! It's a liberating experience.

Hi Ally

That is wonderful news and I’m so pleased for you. My provisional was for three months. The DVLA also contacted my nearest driving assessment centre and started the process with them. They should then contact you as well just to take some details and advise that they will book you a test for three months time. If your provisional is on similar terms to what mine was. Again each case is different. 

The assessment is not like a test and the assessors really do make you feel comfortable before and during your drive. 

Best of luck on the road. I’m sure you know but the person who takes you out needs to have had their full licence for at least three years and have no points. 

Wishing you loads of luck!!

Kelly. 

• 5 weeks later...

Reading the thread it’s great news about your license. My son reapplies next month after 12 months. He ticks all the criteria & letter from Neuro opthamologist says isolated & no Diplopia etc. His OT has made a report on his ‘adaptation’ & his GP on board. He has left peripheral loss that only shows up on field tests.

He’s returned to work & doing a degree. Won recent go karting competitions, closest to driving.  The opthamologist is still calling it homonymous heamiopia but he has full central vision and lots passed 75degrees. I have attached his SpecSavers Esterman & would welcome your comments.  Your thread is inspiring 

Lyne ??

(Says photo of results too large? Could I email perhaps? Or post it in thread?) 

11 hours ago, lyneh said:

Reading the thread it’s great news about your license. My son reapplies next month after 12 months. He ticks all the criteria & letter from Neuro opthamologist says isolated & no Diplopia etc. His OT has made a report on his ‘adaptation’ & his GP on board. He has left peripheral loss that only shows up on field tests.

He’s returned to work & doing a degree. Won recent go karting competitions, closest to driving.  The opthamologist is still calling it homonymous heamiopia but he has full central vision and lots passed 75degrees. I have attached his SpecSavers Esterman & would welcome your comments.  Your thread is inspiring 

Lyne ??

(Says photo of results too large? Could I email perhaps? Or post it in thread?) 

Lyneh,

Glad to hear that your Son is moving forward to reapply for his licence. The waiting is interminable. I am so sorry but I am not able to comment on whether his results are likely to get positive results from the DVLA as I am not qualified to do so. However, if you can make the pics smaller (your Son can help with this) then post them here. We may then be able to make an educated guess based on what results we had.

In fact, if you look at my results I posted a few pages ago right here then you may well be able to judge yourself. However, be aware that each case will be viewed one it's own so there may be many reason's why DVLA allow some to move forward and not others. We do not know what their criteria are.

If the DVLA review the Esterman test results and then ask for reports then take each step slowly and you should eventually find he gets his licence back. It just takes quite a while. If all the reports are sent along with the re-application then this will help shorten the process but be aware that the wheels of industry (pardon the pun) turn very slowly at the DVLA.

Good luck to you and your Son.

JM

Hi Super Mario

Thanks for the photo tip. 

It’s so hard to see Esterman results online to compare to. He has 20/20 central vision but on fixation only the left at approx 40degrees pops up. Short of the DVLA 50 degrees above below horizontal. I was looking at Johnnies test results & it gave us some hope

never say never

As we were planning his exceptional case application recently I fell seriously ill and was admitted to hospital for a tangerine size benign tumour removed 2 weeks ago by craniotomy. We now exactly a year apart have matching scars. So surreal. 

Thanks again

Lyne

056ADC5D-6ABB-49F5-A007-3F1BEF38CD30.jpeg

Lyneh

So sorry to hear about your tumour. Benign or otherwise it must have been such a worry for you and your family. I wish you a swift recovery.

Now we can see the Esterman test results, I can understand your concern. It is definitively Hemianopia rather than quadrantanopia. The DVLA may not that there is quite a clear central vision but as it covers two sectors of vision I am unable to really help. Get the results in along with all the other reports required under the exception case rules and see what they say. I am sorry that I can't be more specific but as has been mentioned before, we are not medically trained and more specifically, we are not members of DVLA teams deciding these cases.

The DVLA will take each case on its' own merits so it is almost impossible to say one way or another. Good luck to him and let us know how you get on with the application. The more information we have, the more likely we can help with an appeal if it is needed for someone in the future. What is important is that the DVLA are consistent. If they are consistent with their decisions then we can't complain but when they deviate and allow someone a licence, where similar results have not lead to another person getting theirs back, then that is unfair.

JM

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Johnnie

Update. Esterman. Can see central vision still very good. Peripheral only JUST short of required DVLA 50 degrees for exceptional case appeal. Improvement on top quarter field too. All paperwork sent to DVLA. We await their view .......

In the meantime because I was rushed to hospital with a benign large brain tumour & had emergency surgery! I now can’t drive for 6 months. You couldn’t write it. I keep moving forward though (on foot of course) 

hope you’re well. 

Lyne

8AA48B5C-8881-42FD-B3B1-4AE93B010A3A.jpeg

Hey LyneH

It seems that your son's eyesight is improving and that is a good thing. I cannot guess at what DVLA will say but hopefully he will move forward in some way. If they still refuse then get the Esterman test redone every six months ( I am sure that someone will do it privately for you ) to check that the vision has improved. When you an improvement then start the process again. 

In respect of your own loss of licence, you don't mention whether you have vision loss so I imagine that this is something that DVLA do as a matter of course. If you have another 'event' in the six months then they will extend the revokation of the licence. You need to call them to see what is expected after six months.

Good luck to you and your son. I just booked a week of driving in Spain in September 2019. I hope the borders are open! 

Hi LyneH,

if if it helps, I asked Specsavers for a private Esterman test on a couple of occasions, and they were happy to do it. Think it cost about twenty quid from memory. It’s great your sons eyesight is improving, fingers crossed the DVLA can move things forward!

Glad you’re making the most of being back out on the roads Johnnie! Fingers crossed they’ll let you into spain next year! ?

Wow what a great trip to look forward to Johnnie. 

We keep looking forward too

Ally thank you, we have the support of a lovely Optometrist at Specsavers who does private DVLA Esterman field tests. 

All the best to you

lyne

Hi all, so I had my driving assessment this morning at the William Merritt centre in Sheffield!

I was told at the end that I should be prepared to fork out a lot of money shortly as I’ll be needing to reinsure and tax my car soon, as they are recommending I get my licence back. I got ‘excellent’ for all of the categories, apart from a mark of ‘good’ for indicating and progressing the journey - I apparently I was a little hesitant at a junction and didn’t indicate soon enough, but otherwise they said it was one of the best drives they have had! Which I was surprised about, ha. ??

How long does this next stage usually take? Ally

Fantastic news Ally! I reckon it'll be three to four weeks. It took my test centre one week to send the report to DVLA and it will take DVLA minimum four days to get the report 'on the system'. May I suggest that you ask the test centre to email the report to DVLA? That may shortcut the receipt of the report. After the report is on the system, your guess is as good as mine.

Track the report by calling the test centre to find out when it was sent to DVLA then call the DVLA everyday after they have confirmed that it has been logged as passed on to the medical team. Let us know how long it takes overall as it will be helpful to others going through the process.

Take care out on the road but enjoy yourself. It's like getting your first bike (but faster!) .

JM

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/10/2018 at 15:19, Allyc said:

Hi all, so I had my driving assessment this morning at the William Merritt centre in Sheffield!

I was told at the end that I should be prepared to fork out a lot of money shortly as I’ll be needing to reinsure and tax my car soon, as they are recommending I get my licence back. I got ‘excellent’ for all of the categories, apart from a mark of ‘good’ for indicating and progressing the journey - I apparently I was a little hesitant at a junction and didn’t indicate soon enough, but otherwise they said it was one of the best drives they have had! Which I was surprised about, ha. ??

How long does this next stage usually take? Ally

Any news Ally? I presume that you have been in contact with your complaint handler at DVLA? I am sure they will be great in getting this licence back for you. Let us all know what progress. 

This morning I received a reminder from my insurance company that my annual premium is due. I've never been so happy to receive that notification! Although it will be interesting to see what the premium is now, given that I have just had a claim for nearly £1600 where someone rear ended me in traffic.

Barely a scratch but the repairers completely changed the bumper! Happy with that too as it removed a scratch or two that I would otherwise have had to pay for at some point in the future. Advice....never park too close to ANYONE, in any parking situation. They don't care about your car! It's only metal though (yeah, right)  ?

On 16/11/2018 at 11:38, Johnnie M said:

This morning I received a reminder from my insurance company that my annual premium is due. I've never been so happy to receive that notification! Although it will be interesting to see what the premium is now, given that I have just had a claim for nearly £1600 where someone rear ended me in traffic.

Barely a scratch but the repairers completely changed the bumper! Happy with that too as it removed a scratch or two that I would otherwise have had to pay for at some point in the future. Advice....never park too close to ANYONE, in any parking situation. They don't care about your car! It's only metal though (yeah, right)  ?

Hehe, bet you’ve never been so glad to receive an insurance renewal! It’s strange what you look forward to when you haven’t driven for a long time. My car has rarely been driven by my partner since I stopped driving, as he has his own car, especially since my cars been SORN!  I can’t wait to take my car for a proper clean at the car wash, sad hey ! ?

i called the DVLA on Monday and they said they had the report already and it was being reviewed. I called again today and it’s with the medical team awaiting the final decision, which they anticipate won’t take long as apparently I’m ‘fast tracked’. I was quietly hoping to be driving by the end of the year, but perhaps that won’t be possible!

Archived