New to BTG - Michelle

Chelle C

Hi I am a newbie to BTG so have not got a clue what I am doing. my name is Michelle I had my SAH on 8th June 2014 my partner found me unconscious at home I was taken to hospital where they nearly discharged me with a migraine this was no migraine my head had exploded they decided to do a scan and that was it I was eventually transferred to the R.V.I in Newcastle and I had coiling done on the 9th I had one aneurysm that had ruptured and they found a second one that had not they coiled them both the treatment I received was fantastic

I left hospital 11 days later as the SAH had effected my left side I was in a wheelchair for a while then I got onto two crutches then on august 4th I fell and smashed my right wrist which had to be pinned and plated so I ended up with one crutch I am now walking without that I have a constant headache dizziness and my short term memory is affected which is frustrating and I keep losing words which is annoying so 2014 was not the best year of my life but I have survived and I think someone was looking out for me that day       

Hello Michelle

Welcome to BTG- how did you find the site?

Just take some time to see what is happening on here and you will come across many posts that will help you as you come to terms with your recovery.

Do you have plenty people around you for help?

Take care and be prepared to give yourself plenty recovery time.

You will get loads of help from the members of BTG in the days ahead.

Thanks for that I was given a list when I left hospital with all kinds of different information places to visit it is only the last few weeks that I have felt like looking for a support base and I chose this one because there is always lots of advice available here I do have people around me but it can be difficult at times trying to get them to understand how I feel especially on really bad days I have pushed myself at times and suffered for it as they told me when I was leaving hospital listen to your body and I am learning to do that it is the headaches and dizziness that really bother me and the fear that it could happen again

I hate being at home alone because my SAH happened when I was alone so I now have a care connect device which is connected to our county council its like a personal alarm so if I do feel ill I can press a button and I can tell them I need help it has given me a little peace of mind I am sure things will get easier as time goes on as they told me at the hospital there is no quick fix my bleed was massive they do not know how I survived but I did and I have to be grateful for that.

Hi Michelle,

When I first came on here I remember typing "I get dizzy when I go to stand" the replies came back from BTG.

Sit first then take it slow legs  down,  now stand and so on.  What I am trying to say is after SAH you move at a slower pace.

We cannot just jump up like we used to but it will get better.  You are not alone been there felt scared but I am here to tell you baby steps first xx   I was told this when I came on here.

Wish you well and welcome to BTG

WinB143 xx 

• Like 2

Hi Michelle,

Firstly, a very big welcome to BTG.

I had my SAH four and a half years ago.  You go through all the emotions eg, What was that? Why me?  Bewilderment, how do I recover and get over this?  Can I work again? Will I make a full recovery? What about my memory?  I think at some stage we've all asked these questions and more.

The answers are all different because this condition affects us differently due to differing degrees of severity, our ages, the type of treatment we get and how quickly we get it, our levels of fitness and the like.

The brain is a very complex organ yet all survivors have levels of resilience that continue to baffle and amaze me.  If we can't do things we did before we find a different way to do it and are creative in our thinking.

Human spirit endures in remarkable ways.  I look on it this way.  Several things have happened to you that you wish hadn't happened. However, it has happened and you can't turn back time.

What you can do, though is to seek out the new opportunities that his episode has afforded you.  Perhaps you will meet new people, seek different employment, decide to travel, find different hobbies.  It is a chance to find the new you.

It is inevitable that you will look back from time to time and have your down moments, but don't dwell on them.. Look with positivity at what is in front of you.  People are, I find, much more accepting of that.

Some will look at you and think there is nothing wrong with you because they can't see anything visible.  That is most irritating at times, but to get over that you must continue to communicate and explain, not to the point of boring them, but to the point of them knowing and understanding you!

My short term memory was affected, it has improved over time but it still isn't perfect.  I make more notes now and I go over them.  I keep a diary and notes in my mobile telephone.  I don't even think about it now, it's second nature.  You will find the path to recovery that is right for you, and we are always here to provide support if you need it.  Keep posting and have a good look around the site. 

Best wishes once again,

Macca

• Like 3

Hi Michelle, just wanted to say hello and welcome to BTG.  I'm sure you will find this support group very beneficial as you continue with your recovery.  

I think Macca has given a great response, covering many good points.  I'm fortunate in that I don't suffer headaches or dizziness, but many survivors do which I imagine is very debilitating.  

I hope the rest of 2015 is a year of improvement for you.

Best wishes,

Sarah

• Like 1

Hi there, warm welcome to the site, glad that you found us..

As time passes the thought of it happening again will fade (did for me)

I too had a very bad fall and smashed my elbow had to get a replacement joint - you do loose confidence but as they say you just have to get back on the horse so to speak cant let it beat you..

take care

I sing Michelle as I was so scared but I found that singing helped me overcome my fear of what had happened

to me.

Try it it really does help, look up singing and stress.

So what song do you want lol xx just kidding..Not !!

Keep Well and smile xx

Love

WinB143 xx

Hi everyone thanks for all your responses its all good advice I am having a better day today we are preparing to go to our caravan in lake district the end of march looking forward to that get away and relax with our little dog will be taking laptop so will still be posting. Macca you are right everyone is different I am 51 and I do think age and fitness and all that does come into your recovery.

I also had a stroke just before Christmas thankfully with no lasting effects but it does leave you thinking what else can go wrong. on my good days I am very positive about the future, then my brain kicks me just to remind me we are not over this yet. Thanks again to you all.       

• Like 1

Hi Michelle,

I was 54 when it happened to me - I am 59 now!  Stay positive - there's always a blip now and again because your body will keep reminding you from time to time, but that's no reason not to enjoy life.  Enjoy your break and quality time with your other half and dog!

Best wishes,

Macca

Hi Michelle,

I am so happy you found the site and you are able to post. It is such a long and hard haul back to "whatever" feeling better is. I am at almost two years and still have some pretty bad headaches and dizziness. I am fully functional and work but a day or a week can really take it out of me at times.

I am a hard charger so settling down is not easy for me but some times necessary. I some times feel like my brain is saying, "what the heck did you just do to me now!"

Take it easy and be kind to you.

Iola

• Like 1

Hi Michelle :)

A very warm welcome to BTG ! Glad you found us.

You will find lots of helpful information and great support.....feel free to join in the banter in the green room :)

Look forward to hearing more from you and hope you have a lovely relaxing time end of March at your caravan.

Take care

Love Tina xx

• Like 1

Welcome, Michelle.  I had my SAH in 2008, just before turning 51.  Like you, I had one aneurysm that burst and was coiled and that led to finding the other one, which was clipped.  My neuro team was excellent and explained many things to me.  First and foremost, your brain does not like being bathed in blood.  It finds that treatment very irritating and rebels against it.  The blood has no where to go and takes a long time to break down completely.  I had headaches for some months, but was blessed that they did go away and I have not had dizziness.

I had lots of anxiety that continued until I finally sought help from a neurologist last year.  He explained to me that even those of us who come away from the SAH appearing to be fully functional have not escaped unchanged.  Part of the brain died.  Miraculously, the functions performed in that area get picked up by other areas, but since these are not the preferred pathways, they may not be performed as fast or as well as before.  My short term memory suffered.  I have embarrassing moments of not being able to find the simplest word.  I can't type as well as I did before.

Sometimes I just feel like there is a heavy curtain between me and the stored information I am trying to get to.  I fatigue more readily and don't accomplish nearly as much as I used to.  Some days this all really bothers me.  I've had scans every year since the SAH and craniotomy and am assured each time that everything is great, but whenever I get those weird sensations, I have to talk to myself to keep from being overwhelmed with anxiety.

So, I just wanted to let you know - like others here have done - that you are not alone in the things you are experiencing.  It does get better, but it does take time.  And like my neurologist told me, you have to cut yourself some slack because your brain is injured.  Reading the BTG posts helps immensely because it keeps reminding you that you are not the only one and others do understand and support you.  Hang in there and give yourself the time you need.

• Like 3

Thanks colleen, my neuro team did tell me the brain takes a while to clean itself they also told me that recovery is a slow process everyone recovers at different rates and some people never fully recover but if this is as far as I go with my recovery I would still be happy because I am still here I am hoping that I do recover more and I am sure I will given time we are on new journey in life one that we were not expecting to go on so we have to adapt and face things in our lives in a different way.my partner Verdun has been brilliant he is a huge support and he is a very positive person which does help me a lot                                                

• Like 2

Hi Michelle

Accepting that time is a great healer can be so challenging when there is no timescale to live by and no guarantees-

but as many of the friends on BTG say-living with where you are now and looking positively to the future whatever twists it takes-

is a great approach to adopt.

By the way-as a Carer for four years myself- please remember to give your valued partner Verdun a big hug every so often and tell him how much you appreciate his support for you through your challenging uncertain time

Caravan holiday soon- such a relaxing way to take time out-

Take care

• Like 2