Alcohol after NASAH

Hi there,

I was never an addict but I used to really appreciate a glass of red with my lentil curries.

I was told by the neurologist before leaving hospital after my NASAH to never drink alcohol again under any circumstances.

I have obeyed orders on this needless to say but could I ask you to say if you have had the same experience, if you have tried to drink a glass of wine (or a beer) since your haemorrhage and if so, how long after and with what (if any) effects. 

Really appreciate your ideas, advice, experience (to help me make decisions for Christmas which is coming !!).

Sammy Anne

Hi

I could not drink for about a month after my SAH but have started again since then. Not excessively just a couple of glasses of wine, mind you it definitely affects me more now. And I also find if I have had more than 2 glasses that I cannot remember anything the next day of what I did and said when I was drinking. Needless to say, I take it very easy now.

I was never told not to drink but as SM says there may be a reason for you not to. Ask your GP they should know, maybe the advice is different in France.

Good luck

Clare xx

• Like 1

I was advised to steer clear by my neuro more to make sure my BP remained steady so the most I ever have these days if I am feeling adventurous is a small lager shandy! I figure I had more than my fair share in my youthful days and I don't miss it at all now. If I want somethjng for special occassions I have elderflower fizz which is delicious without the topped up headaches.

• Like 1

I loved my vino collapso  but since SAH I had 1 glass/tumbler of fizzy wine, lemonade and orange juice,  like a buck fizz and I felt like this.. 

"Woo slow down Win"  so now I take decaff cokes with me. unless in a restaurant.

I stopped smoking also.  Bolting, Stable door and horse comes to mind lol.

Be Well All

Win xx xx

• Like 2

My Doctors definitely said do not smoke again ( and I haven't, despite all those years of the nasty addiction). I think they told me not to drink at first and I didn't for several months. However, I do enjoy a couple drinks here and there and my neurologist is aware of it, but it is going on 7 years since SAH. I definitely have to know the limit as well, as it doesn't take much for a headache or fogginess the next day.

A glass of wine is relaxing for me but I suggest you ask your dr to explain his orders before you just decide it's ok. For sure you want to give your brain plenty of healing time. In early days I drank a lot of herbal teas to help relax.

• Like 1

I too wasn't told not to drink but then I didn't really drink before the op.I do have a Bailey's or pimms occasionally but the headache the next day isn't worth it, mostly due to my meds rather than anything to do with the sah.

I don't miss it but never really drank before anyway.

I think you need to check with your Dr before indulging x

• Like 1

I wasn't told not drink or not to smoke and I still do both.  I'll have about four pints on a Friday night with my father and hubby but don't drink throughout the week and never have done.  As for smoking my consultant told me that it increases my chances of it happening again by 2% - put every situation is different and personal so you're over all general health before and after would play a huge part.

• Like 1

Hi Sammy Anne,

I like the others wasn't told not to drink, I only have a drink with my Christmas Dinner anyway

as I stopped drinking alcohol in 1997, I didn't have a drink problem I just stopped enjoying it,

Last Christmas I had two glasses of Asti with my lunch which is what I would normally have

and I ended up with a bit of a headache, not sure if I will have a drink this Christmas because

of that.

I am still having a cigarette although I know I shouldn't, thought about going to hypnotist to stop 

but scared of the affect it might have on my brain.

Like the others say, you speak to your doctor as everyone is different.

Love

Michelle

Just to say I had a ruptured Aneurysm when I had my bleed.

• Like 1

Thank you so much everyone for your time and care in writing these answers. I was very reticent to take the risk of drinking a glass of wine even on special occasions but, having read your thoughts on this, now I am doubly so. It does seem a bit of a luxury having a drink after all we have gone through. I suppose the further one moves away from the intial primary fear of not surviving, to surviving with discomfort, to finally starting to take life for granted again ... the more one begins to think about the frills of life rather than just its necessities.

The last couple of weeks have been pretty uncomfortable headache-wise having said that, so I suppose I should be thinking less about the frills and spills and more about healthy living as a whole. Don't want to risk anything that can provoke a repetition of the SAH or even just provoke more headaches than I already have! It's been so good to be able to air the subject though with people who understand instantly the major and minor life changes one has to accept after an SAH.

Michelle, Skippy ... the smoking thing is tricky. I smoked for over twenty years until 2007 .... you'll sleep so much better if you can give it up !! ... Isn't that so Win ??).

Hope you're all having a good evening :-) and a nice autumn (the conkers have fallen here in France so it's definitely begun!!)

Take care,

Sammy Anne

• Like 1

Crikey Michelle. Cigs not a good idea. If you're worried about hypnotism, which I can understand, maybe something like yoga or transcendental meditation would help ?? Although hypnotism would probably be better than smoking :-) ... just by the by I went to a hypnotist a couple of years ago, just the once, and turned from a believer into a disbeliever !! He had a really good reputation, honest, good hypnotist, but it did absolutely nothing to help me (it was about curbing my diet and losing weight ... food can be addictive as tobacco... in the end I lost 15kgs thanks to the SAH).

Hugs,

Sam

Yes I agree with Sammy anne,

My Sister who had cancer of the lung still cannot give it up (smoking)  so my other Sister Patsy said if Win can do it so can you, so my Sister anne said  "Yes but it took an aneurysm and Win to be asleep most of a year before she gave it up" lol

It is hard to give up !! I've done it 14 times before and found I was eating more ..Well a bit like now!!  ha ha. but directly I went into a pub I needed a cigarette.  Not anymore instead I am obese lol

Just as long as we remain healthy xx

Good luck all xx xx

• Like 1

Hi Sammy Anne,

I have been to see nurse at Doctor`s this morning, we discussed the Smoking issue,

I have decided when we close our caravan down for the winter I am going on their 12

week stop smoking plan. She advised against seeing a hypnotist.

I really do want to stop although I don`t smoke many a day, I know I shouldn't be doing it.

So I will let you know how it goes

Love

Michelle

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

When I first had my hemorrhage, I felt drunk 24/7.  It was so awful to feel this way when I didn't want to.  The memory or this feeling and the out of control feeling are now linked so I have no desire to drink what so ever.

At first, I couldn't handle another jar to my system of any kind.  Now, I'm sure I could handle it, but it's been a while.  I'd want to know why I was given this 'no alcohol' advice before I took a drink.  All you can do is ask about it when you see your doctor.

~Kris

• Like 1

I drink - but much more moderately than I used to.  Only beer though, no spirits.  I don't handle it as well as I used to, but on the bright side it benefits my bank balance!  Never received advice either way from the hospital - and I'm still here!

Macca

• Like 2

Well, after a few moments of temptation which I didn't give into, I've come to the conclusion that actually I'm better off as a teetotaler. Sleep better, wake up better, have lost weight and am no longer giving the message to my child that alcohol is ok on a regular basis. People think that's weird but I'm ok with that.

Thanks everyone for your input on this.

Anyone else tempted to write their experience and opinion on alcohol after an (NA)SAH will be very welcome indeed.

Xxx

• Like 1