What job do you do?

Hi Aine,

was just reading through your post and realized that i'd put in mine that I was a "carers support worker"! I wasn't!!! I do in fact have my own carer support worker, she is so lovely! My actual job title was "support worker!" I absolutely loved the work but sure you will agree, any job of that sort can bring its stresses.

You take it easy Aine, enjoy your life! Maybe when its time for you to go back to work you may find a change of direction.....

Love Suexx

Guest Victoria

Hi Laura,

I am a Primary School teacher too, I have been off since September and probably going back after Easter. I am really worried about going back as I am suffering with dizziness and always tired. Can you give me any advice on my return to work?

I thought I had posted on this topic, but once again my memory tricked me. Am also one of the self-employed. I do economic research and analysis as well as some communications strategy for a big US law firm that operates internationally, so the brief I cover is very broad and interesting in its diversity.

Because I can work in bed (did so after successive knee surgeries) I started working again as soon as I got out of hospital, with plenty of advanced napping inbetween. My client, who knows me well, was very gentle in their requests for the first few months (I am on a retainer with them).

14 months later am nearly nap-free, although as we all know when The Tiredness hits, nothing sort of eating my own hair would keep me awake. The workload is heavy but am totally in control of how and when I do it, which makes a major difference to stress levels.

Joanxx

• 2 months later...
Guest cheryl

Hi

I struggled when i went back to work, i run a pub and i was unable to do those 14hr shifts, i lived for my work so it was hard to admit defeat, what i do now is less hours and my shifts are staggered.

I have more time for myself and family.

cheryl

I've just started work in the commercial office of my local football club, unpaid of course as we struggle to pay the playing staff!! Again very much what I can do when I can do it. Hopefully this is another step back in the direction of paid work.

Hi,

I am a lecturer. Work has been really understanding but I feel so guilty at increasing everone else's workload. I know that the SAH wasn't my fault but the guilt remains.

It seems that quite a few of us on this forum are teachers of one sort or another. Interesting!

Leo xxx

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Matthew

I'm a solicitor, of the non-argumentative variety (unless it's the Revenue). I do what is called private client work, which means wills, probate, powers of attorney, that sort of thing. Before this SAH came along I used to stress how important it was to clients to get their affairs (of the monetary variety) in order just in case the unexpected came along. I was out at a client's house when the SAH happened, getting some attorneys signed up. I didn't expect to be an example of what I preached, but there you go.

Matthew.

Guest ellen

Hi Laura and everyone,

I'm a teacher as well. This school year I opted to teach part time (I taught K4 and Science Labs before) because my elderly parents are in need of help and I was working too many hours. Little did I know that I was the one that would needed the care :lol:

Next school year I was planning on continuing with my present occuption as well as starting my own after school Science business. I will have to take is slower now, just can't seem to get myself organized.

My doctor sent me back after 6 weeks. I find that I am having trouble with the noise and keeping control of the students after a lab. I can't speak loudly without hurting my head. When I am finished at school, I just can't do much of anything at home. My family has been very understanding and helpful but it bothers me that I am not very productive anymore.

I built a butterfly garden and habitat at our school. The weeding was too hard on my head and had to get parents to do the weeding :mrgreen:

I am not complaining, just stating the facts. You all have much greater concerns than I. Wishing you all the best and praying for your recovery. Hope you got some good information from some of these posts.

Ellen

Ellen can I just say our concerns are no greater than yours at the end of the day if it causes you concern then it is serious, however how long ago did you have it I still have days like that nearly 6yrs on. LOL it takes along time for your brain to heal. Jess.xxx

Guest Debs18

Hi Laura,

Like yourself I returned to a full time job but couldn't handle that amount of hours and struggled with the job. I ended up leaving after 10 weeks and was out of a job for 12 weeks but I am now working 25 hrs a week and find this more than enough

Debs18

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I'll add mine to this, I am a course leader/music lecturer. Sharon was treasurer for the local WEA branch, she had her SAH at a meeting. She was also doing courses in IT, building, plastering, and woodwork.

Phil

XXX

I am a bilingual administrator, i can work from home but i am still not ready to do that yet. I work freelance and much of my work is on the computer. I did travel a lot to Germany, as much of my work comes from there and also my husband lives there while i live in London.

I will move back to Germany when my youngest son goes off to university. I think i have become a bit slow translating some of my work since my SAH and my concentration is not so good.

• 1 month later...
Guest Shiree

Hey there...

Well I am a qualified dispensary technician (does prescriptions). But the last 5 years I have been driving stock trucks. I drive a big scania unit (truck and trailer) which is 44 tonnes loaded. The cattle are double decked so for example it can hold approx 45 full grown bulls. I LOVE my job and my truck is like another child to me. Mostly I cart animals to the works up and down the country. In fact if you have had any NZ beef or lamb, maybe it was once on my truck!

It was a really hard industry to get into. I only know of 2 other woman who do in NZ. But after much blood, sweat and tears, I was doing it and loving every minute of it. What a great feeling getting out of bed in the morning and actually looking forward to going to work!

I worked long hours though, mostly starting at 7am (sometimes earlier) and might be home at midnight...ish. Sometimes earlier, sometimes later.

Loading a mob of wild bulls that were trying to kill you was all in a days work, and its amazing how quick you can move when one is breathing down your neck!

But like I said I loved every minute.

We (hubby and I) also own a couple of beef farms, hubby does a bit of work for other people with his digger and to top it off we have 2 kids aged 6 and 8.

So life was busy....but good.

I am back at work 4 mornings a week now, just doing paperwork (but am driving a bit too...sshhhhh)

Trying to get an earlier return to truck driving with our vehicle licensing agency.

So there you go..... Look out world - I will be back!!!!

"hugs"

Shiree