Untreated aneurysms or annies not 100% occluded

Guest zip2me23

Thanks Karen! It's good to hear someone else has the same problems. Weather and stress really do me in but then when I read the posts about food I started to wonder! This is quite a ride we are on! Zip

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI Zip,

Mine is tiredness and worry

Sami told me about caffeine and aspartame so I cut them out too but don't know whether make a difference.

Red wine gives me a headache anyway so don't drink that and also cut out cheese. I don't know what else to do either!

Weather also affects me too- too hot and too cold/ wind etc- no let up!

I agree still a rollercoaster ride

Laura

xx

• 1 month later...
Guest charudeepi

Hello Karen.

Could you please read my post titled - "abt my 1st brain hammeourage" - under introduce your self.

Which is an untreated brain bleed. i will go for a CT scan this week sometime after almost 4 years of its happening.

Thanks

Charu

• 1 month later...
Guest Vivienne

Hi,

As well as having my first (left) aneurysm coiled, I was also told that I have another one on my right side And also "quite a few more" dotted around.

They weren't concerned with the right one, all I know is that it's not as large as my first one but they want to watch it.

I get myself wound up about it, because I know that at some point I'll probably have to go through this again. I'm scared about this one, maybe because I know about it, whereas the first one I was in hospital - coiled - and home again - before any of it really had a chance to sink in!

I know other people have had more than one, and come through, I'm amazed at their strength.

To the people who have had more than one, can I ask if they were in the same area, or like mine, on opposite sides?

Vivienne

Hi Viviene

My main aneurysm (coiled) was right posterior communicating artery (not far behind my right eye). My untreated one, is off the middle something or other artery (told would only be able to get at it through my skull. But as its quite small they are going to keep an eye on it. The neurosurgeon also said that most aneurysms are congenital (born with them) and as one has only just ruptured at the age of 60 - chances are the other one won't ever rupture. Also bearing in mind, I did have a really bad blow to the head about 4 months before my ruptured aneurysm.

Like everyone else on here: atmospherics (low cloud etc), tiredness, aspartame or any of the synthetic sweetners, caffeine etc are culprits when it comes to the headaches.

Just had a bad weekend with leg pains, bad neck pain and the artery on which the aneurysm was coiled pulling and throbbing. (Thank goodness its all cleared this morning, was getting quite worried).

Just for the record just realized only this weekend that a lot of the probiotic yogurts have aspartame in them. (Spend a lot of time in supermarkets reading labels - I know, sad isn't it!).

Hugs

Lesley xxx

Hi Vivienne

The one which ruptured was in front of my right ear lobe (middle right cerebral artery) and I have another small one right between my eyes apparently, in frontal lobe. They are keeping an eye on it and I go for another angiogram on 13 March. I always thought of the brain as the area covered by the scalp so I was quite surprised when I was told my aneurysms were more at front of head (ie where face is), if you see what I mean?!

I really hope my other one doesn't grow and I never have to decide whether to get it treated or at least not have to decide for a long while. I'm still gathering strength since my last one ruptured about 14 months ago.

Warm wishes

Anne x

Hi Vivienne

Mine were in the same place but on different sides the one that ruptured on the right the other the left, I used to think about them all the time but don't much anymore just decided to get my notes though so I can find out exactly where they were. Jess.xxx

Hi Vivienne

I'm a bit like Jess I guess - as I had to check my profile here on BTG to remember where mine are: Middle cerebral artery aneurysm and PICA (both coiled).

One was coiled just after the SAH, then the 2nd one discovered after that. I waited a few months to have the 2nd one coiled, and I did find that a frightening time.

Nowadays I think about them far less than I used to, and I dont worry too much.

Take care x

Guest Vivienne

Hello to you all, and thank you for your replies :D

I think I'm nervous about the one they are watching because I feel like I'm waiting for signs or symptoms of it to show. I don't know where it is, or what nerves or anything it may press on to give a sign it's growing or whatever.

It's a freaky feeling.

Vivienne

• 1 month later...

Hello all

Its just a quick post x x

I dont seem to be able to think straight about the stem I have on my coiled anni x

They are doing scans to keep an eye on the appearance but thats all I know about it x x

Does anyone know what I would have to have done if It changes in shape ? ? ?

please feel free to PM me I do feel confused by it lately

thankyou all

love donna x

Hi Donna,

I still have a stem or neck left on mine ..... I shall be 4 years post coiling in July ...... still alive and kicking .. :wink:

I've been having a few problems lately and I'm being referred back to my original Neuro Consultant by my local brain injury consultant ..... so, it looks as though I may need to have another scan to check on the neck ..... if it needs re-coiling, then I would definetly have it done. The Neuro guys would always weigh up the risk of the op, and the odds against the annie bursting.....

I would imagine that it takes many years for an aneurysm to burst, so would also imagine that it would be the same for the stem or neck to expand ...... try not to worry too much Donna, unless you're having problems that have worsened ...... your GP will keep an eye on you and they will monitor you with scans etc. If you're worried, then go and see your Doc..... xx

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

I had my SAH in September last year and it was coiled. After my follow up mri in March I was told I needed an angiogram as it appeared the aneurysm had 'reformed' I freaked out until it was properly explained that coils can settle and need topping up. Like many of you I have a neck in the aneurysm that the consultant feels should be 'topped up' as risk of re-bleed increases with age(I am 45 now) I also have two tiny aneurysms that they aren't concerned about.

I have been waiting 4 months now and just been told my consultant is away all of September! I would just like to be on the other side of it and I think its made worse as I am near the anniversary of when it happened.

Most days I am fine but every now and again it's like 'I can't believe that happened to me!'

Hi Steph,

Think that it's quite normal to be worried after having a SAH .... As you can see from my previous posts, I still have a neck left on my aneurysm, which was probably too narrow to coil at the time. I'm not due for another review until 5 years time.

Try not to worry too much, easier said than done, I know! .... I'm sure that if there was something to worry about, they would get you in for surgery ASAP, irrespective of your surgeon being on holiday.

Wishing you well and hope that you get some news soon ..... as they say, "walk a mile in another man's shoes" ...... hmmm...if only they could experience what we've been through and the fear that it brings ... xx

Hey there Steph

After having 2 brain haemrrohages and coiling, I have another aneurysm on the opposite side too. They are keping an eye on it. It's been 4 years since the first SAH, so I just go with the flow. If it's being watched, it's safer than the people's that aren't.

Love Nita xxx

Hi Steph,

I was in a very similar position to you this time last year whereby the aneurysm that had ruptured needed more coils putting in. I had months of waiting and finally had it done last October, a month before the anniversary of the first coiling. Life carries on, but I found the waiting game pretty intolerable at times - particularly when it was all cancelled on the day I was due to go in.

I do hope you get it done fairly soon so that the awful waiting is not hanging over you for too much longer.

Take care,

Sarah

• 2 years later...

I am glad this thread exists, thank you Karen. Since the first (emergency) operation in July 2011 when the aneurysm ruptured, I have had 3 angiograms, all of which show a residual neck below the clip which is still "filling" according to my neurosurgeon. He has recommended another craniotomoty to re-clip it. Apparently, coiling is not an option as it is too close to where the artery branches and they would not want to risk blocking the artery as well.

My partner and my son are coming with me to an appointment with the neurosurgeon on Dec11 to discuss the operation (that way they can ask him all the hard questions I can't answer). I can say no if I want to, but I've seen the scan and the residual annie looks huge in comparison with the other bloodvessels in my brain. I'd guess the risk of rupture is probably the same as it was for however many years I had it before but I didn't know before so it didn't worry me then.

Another operation would at least be on a planned rather than emergency basis and my brain wouldn't be swimming in toxic blood so the risks should be much lower than before.

If anyone else has had a second craniotomy, I would be interested to know anything about similarities and differences in post-op status and recovery.

Hi Jeanhelen,

I had a 2nd op but it was coiling, not craniotomy, so my experience will not be the same, other than to say the recovery without an added bleed was a totally different experience.

Really I just want to wish you good luck & I hope the coming appointment will help to answer any questions for you & your family.

Michelle x

Thanks Michelle, for your reply and good wishes.

It is good to know recovery is unlikely to be as fraught as last time.

J

Hi Jeanhelen,

I had a 2nd op but it was coiling, not craniotomy, so my experience will not be the same, other than to say the recovery without an added bleed was a totally different experience.

Really I just want to wish you good luck & I hope the coming appointment will help to answer any questions for you & your family.

Michelle x