Two untreated aneurysms

Guest Mohlianum

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mohlianum

Hi, I did see a stroke consultant last week & he said the symptoms I had pointed to the artery that was clipped & he was wondering if there was any scar tissue narrowing the artery.

Maybe the MRA will show something.

Hi Maureen

Welcome to BTG. Its a wonderful site for information and feedback.

I was 60 when I had my SAH and I've recovered very well. So you are not the eldest on here.

Sorry to hear about the mini strokes, hope you get some proper feedback after the MRI scan.

Good luck to you,

Lesley xxx

Guest Mohlianum

Hi & thank you again for the welcome. I guess we shouldn't be selfconscious about age; if we are lucky everyone ages & we all start off as babes!

I found out on friday that the MRA I had on January 13th didn't have enough images taken & it appears no-one was informed including the consultant & myself. No wonder I was still waiting for the results!

I have another on Friday 27th which I'm not looking forward to.

My sister who lives in Canada was advised to have an MRI because our Dad died at 61 of a stroke but fortunately she was clear. It would have been awful if she hadn't as she had breast cancer 10 years ago

Hi

I had my SAH in June 2008 and had a MRI scan in January 2009, then two weeks later had a letter asking me to go back for another! I found out it was because there were not enough images taken of right place. Two weeks later I had another scan and have just got the results which are ok and they tell me that I wont need another scan until June 2010. Good luck with your recovery hope its going well. I'm 52 and impatient!

Take Care

Caroline

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mohlianum

I don't know the results of my MRI yet as it has only just been 3 weeks, the scary thing is I had another what I thought was a mini stroke but this ended in a fit/siezure, fortunately my husband was there & he called our daughter. Spent the night & next day in hospital & the stroke doctor there is almost convinced it was a focal siezure & has treated me according.

I thought I was tired before, nothing like it is with these tablets!

I don't like concentrating too long on anything as it makes me feel strange so I cannot spend long on the pc, hope it improves!

Hope all is going well with all of you

Best wishes

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

the seizures are very scary ...... I had them too ..... what tabs are you on? I was on Phenytoin and they totally bombed me out ..... horrible things... and can understand that you can't spend too long on the PC.....

Hope that you get the results from your MRI soon.....

Take care and take it easy ....

Love Karen xx

Hi Mo

Welcome to the site i had a mini stroke and like you Scott i have been left we think?! with more from that than the original SAH.

I am awaiting my recent MRI results. My sah was nov 07then had recoiling done in sept 08, i now wear a leg splint to aid walking and hearing aids for high frequency loss...

Like you Mo i wondered why everyone was coming to visit me and thought i was in a hotel on holiday...bizarre!!!!!! and that was before the surgery!!.

Take care

Love luck and laughter

Michellexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest Mohlianum

Hi Karen,

I'm taking Tegretol which is also used for epilepsy. I've had all the tests & nothing proved it was definitely a stroke, I don't know if the others were.

There is an interesting article on Netdoctor especially if you follow the

partial siezures link.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100004152.html

Best wishes to all, excuse me for not replying to you individually,

x Mo

Interesting info Mo ...... I experience aura followed by a migraine headache. Thankfully, they have improved since the SAH, but am still prone to the odd one. I take a beta blocker to help prevent them.

The brain injury consultant at my local hospital, was quite keen for me to take something such as Tegretol to also help with the nerve pain around my eye, but I'm afraid that I've been pretty much put off of taking any drugs, since experiencing bad side effects with the Phenytoin. I also found the withdrawal symptoms just as bad as taking the drug ...... it wasn't a good period in my life.....and it takes a lot of convincing with me, that I'm going to benefit or that it will cure one problem and affect something else, such as increased dizziness and drowsiness....which is bad enough to tolerate as it is.

I'm being referred back to Wessex Neuro as to whether or not I should have another brain scan soon. The neck on my annie is untreated, so they have to decide or weigh up the likely size or increase that may have happened since the last scan, 2 years ago ..... hope that makes sense!

Take it easy Mo and speak soon,

love K xx

Guest Mohlianum

Hi Karen,

It must be awful to have long standing problems, it would be good if everything could be treated & then forgotten. It has been nearly 2 years for me so I would like to know how much if any my other 2 have grown.

I have amazed myself by being able to push it aside most of the time. I still feel I would hate it more if I had a disease such as cancer, that scares me more.

The other thing I didn't mention about this siezure/mini stroke is that I cannot speak for quite a while during it so the first time it happened I couldn't tell anyone what was wrong.

Hope to reply to all the replies soon.

x Mo

Hi Mo,

You have a good mental attitude ...... I think that counts for a lot too .....

Talking of cancer ..... there were some Marie Curie nurses outside of Asda today ..... so I donated and I'm now wearing my daffodil ...... there seemed to be lots of people popping their money into the collection box and that's probably because of the high media interest with Jade Goody...... whatever our personal opinions are of Jade, I'm sure that her story will help to raise monies for cancer relief and for the Marie Curie nurses, (which can only be a good thing)....who I know are wonderful and helped a friend of mine, who's husband was terminally ill with cancer....

Anyway, please don't feel that you have to answer everyone ..... we all understand here ..... :wink: Only do, what you are comfortable with and what you are able to do......

It must be scary for you, when you can't speak .....during these episodes ..... I had a seizure after the coiling op and I also couldn't speak ..... I couldn't say what was happening ...... I just felt weird and knew that something wasn't right ...... there wasn't any physical pain at that point ...... but it's something that I still can't describe.....

You take care Mo and like I said, don't worry about replying ..... we really do understand why you can't....

Lots of love

K xx

• 1 month later...
Guest Mohlianum

Hi everyone,

I have an appointment today at Southampton to discuss my other 2 aneurysms. Last week I had a letter which said the MRI results showed they had not increased in sized at all. After 2 years that is very good news.

When you think about it how do we know how long they have been there before?

Bye for now

Mo

Mo, I'll start by asking for your forgiveness! I had not even seen this thread ( Grrrr! I used to be observant! 'Enough said!

I am another mini stroke person, I was rehospitalised ,for only about a week, after I had been discharged post SAH and although nothing showed on the scan, the consultant felt sure that was what had happened, interesting to see that Scott and I think it was Jess (?) felt that some of the effects of that were worse than the SAH aftereffects. I don't know but think you both could be right :?

You said:

I had my SAH at 61 so I guess I must be one of the oldest here, makes me feel quite ancient!

One of the oldest yes, but not the oldest I was 67 :lol: My opinion is it may be tough for us, but I am so glad I wasn't as young as some folk on here, at least I had fun pre SAH and believe me intend to have fun post!!!!

Guest Mohlianum

Hi All,

Just to let you know the consultant confirmed that the two aneurysms remain the same size as images taken June 2007. He recommends that I do not have any operations but continue monitoring them by yearly MRI. He said the largest is 7mm which I thought quite big but apparently 12mm or more is large by their standards.

I think he said they are not easily accessible for coiling apparently so it might involve surgery which makes the option safer to monitor them as they haven't changed in size & may never.

I gave up smoking just over 4 years ago but still have to get my blood pressure down a bit more, but getting headaches from this Tegretol doesn't help, can't complain about lack of sleep though !

My short term memory is bad at times so I have to mark down that I've taken a particular tablet otherwise I would think I've taken one or take another!

I can walk 3 miles when we go out but I hope one day it will be further like before.

Bye

X Mo

Hi Mo,

Well, at least they are going to monitor you with yearly MRI's and that should hopefully, give you some peace of mind. I suppose that the medics have to weigh up the risk of operating, up against leaving them alone and just monitoring.

A three mile walk is quite something, so well done! It's something that I need to work on, as I seem to have lost a lot of power in my legs lately.

Keep well,

Love Karen x

Guest Mohlianum

Hi Karen

I hated the MRI, the noise was so loud & seem to go on forever; if I had known about the seizures I would have never gone in! I did mention this & I think he did add a note to the card.

Have you heard if you are having one soon?

x Mo

Guest Mohlianum

Hi Perry,

I didn't see your post either, I thought I had ticked for email updates. My mini strokes turned out to be the start of Focal Seizures, I was told they gradually get worse & more frequent & I guess the last one with a small fit proved it. It was frightening but hopefully under control, just hope I will have a better time with the medication in time. Consultant yesterday said there are 15 to choose from!

I was advised to take 75mg aspirin as most people with stroke etc problems are, my Dad had a stroke & unfortunately died on the day after his 62nd birthday which was also in June.

I agree with your comments, we have enjoyed our earlier years & the younger ones who have had a SAH have to take a chunk out of it but hopefully can make up for it.

We have had many long haul holidays & it truly doesn't bother me that I don't want to go out of this coutry any more. I don't want to leave our dogs either.

Keep fit

Mo