My quick Newbie Story - Nicky

NickyT

I suffered from a SAH at the end of April of this year and have only recently come to terms with it. I resisted googling or reading about what has happened to me ( as googling any illness normally ends in death, the more you look ) but over the past couple of weeks have done more research, including finding this site. 

I am a mid forties male and have had no real health problems before, other than knee surgery years ago. My SAH manifested at home, having stood up from being on a chair I felt a really weird and odd pressure behind my nose, so odd I walked, albeit very dizzily, to get my phone and called an ambulance. During the phone call the neck and head pain had started and by the time that the ambulance arrived I'd lost feeling in my right leg. 

I was admitted to hospital straight away and was in HDU for three days, none of which I remember, before surgery and coils being inserted into the aneurysm. 

I came out of hospital two weeks later and about two stone lighter, feeling very nervous, but very lucky to be alive. 

I've read about people feeling agitated, nervous, panicked etc etc and despite my previous role as a successful, indestructible bloke, I completely get it. I've only recently felt more comfortable being anywhere on my own, even taking my dog for a walk, due to what appears to be psychology rather than anything physical. Any feeling of pressure or dizziness brought, and still brings to some extent, fear of a recurrence. It appears that as time goes on though that these "echoes" of memory of what happened ease with the passing of time. 

Like others I appear to have memory losses, and some weird ones, like people's names, situations that people mention that I cannot recall and yesterday I could not remember what celery was called !! My wife, who has been my hero and all round superstar helps out in these situations on the whole so I don't embarrass myself too much. 

I have found that my temper has become very quick to present itself and I am even less tolerant than I was before but  trying hard to work on this for my wife and three boys sake !! 

I mentioned that I felt lucky before. When I've told other people this I get the odd raised eyebrow. I feel lucky to be here still and feel lucky that I have chance to press the reset button on a few things that I had ignored pre SAH. Most of all I feel lucky to have the family and friends I have and am totally and utterly grateful to them for being so supportive. 

Like others I suppose, I do feel like my invincibility cloak has now been totally removed and I have experienced what it might just feel like to be near the end. This has changed my outlook on life, for the better on the most part. 

Good luck to all !! 

N

• Like 5

Hello Nicky

A warm welcome to BTG...so glad you found this site quite early in your SAH  recovery.

Please  take time to work your way around the various threads and posts. There is  wealth of information, shared experiences and of course support which you and your wife and boys will find invaluable in the days ahead.

My wife had her SAH in May five years ago aged 54. Like you she had never been off work ill prior to that.

Your SAH will have changed your lives to some extent and each day you are discovering just how much that change is. Your work and family life is now very challenging as you all come to terms with the consequences of your SAH. It is good that you mention how you are already trying to adapt to the changes in your self confidence and emotional control.

One important point to recognise and accept in these early days is that there s no quick fix. Patience in returning to work, and patience in accepting that your brain and body need time to heal are so vital.

Please don`t hesitate to share your concerns and fears when you visit the site . You will find that your new BTG friends are very willing to guide you along the way.

If you visit the Green Room it is a place where members can share some light hearted banter .....a place to help ease the seriousness of what SAH recovery can mean.

Take care

Subs

• Like 3

Hi Nicky,

I am glad you found this site as it helped my Daughter while I was in cuckoo land and it has helped me also.

Stress is bad for us and life is stressful so I sing to try and combat stress, also I have stopped listening to doom and gloomers as I cannot take others problems anymore.  Being the youngest of 10 is hard lol but my family were

absolutely brilliant.  

They sung to me took care of me when OT's gave me no hope of being me again!!  I am back and there is life after an SAH/bleed and say they are proud when I take a few wobbly steps and keep me going.

Welcome and Good luck on your Journey xxxx No stress remember this one !!!  So sing drive family mad but.

No stress whatsoever

My Welcome to you is done.  Did I hear you sigh a sigh of relief  lol xx

Good luck

Winb143 xx Singer of songs all off key,   now smile xxx

• Like 3

Hi Nicky :)

A very warm welcome to BTG, so glad you found us.

You are still in the very early stages of recovery, everything you have mentioned i can relate to feeling. It does take time to adjust to the new you and can be very frustrating at times. 

Karen, our founder once said to me 'be kind to yourself and listen to your body'....very wise words :)

So pleased you made it through to press your reset button :) with the support of your lovely wife, family & friends, a very scary worrying time for them too. 

As Subs has already said so well, feel free to ask any questions and join in the Green Room banter. Win will sing to you ;) We are a friendly bunch. 

Wishing you well with your on going recovery and look forward to hearing more from you.

Take care

Tina xx

• Like 2

Hi Nicky,

Warm welcome to BTG, so glad you have found us.

As everyone has said it is still early days for you in your recovery, like you mine happened at home,

I was a little scared to be alone at home for a while, scared to walk my dog just like you, it`s a confidence thing and you will regain confidence as time goes on, I`m 2 years in and I am doing those things and have been for a good while now.

When I left hospital I was told to drink plenty of water, it helps with the headaches, plenty of rest and to listen to my body, You will learn to pace yourself and know what you can manage to do and what you can`t.

It sounds like you have a wonderful support network around you with family and friends there for you at this difficult time, It`s a slow process, it takes time for your brain and body to heal, emotions and things are all over the place, it is all normal, we`ve all been through it and it does get better as time goes by.

The recovery road can be a bumpy one, we are here for you and your family,

this is a great place to come for a chat or a vent if you need to, we understand.

You will make a lot of new friends here, everyone is friendly, visit the green room where we have a lot of fun.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Wishing you well on your recovery journey,

Best Wishes

Michelle x

• Like 5

Welcome Nicky thank you for sharing your story, like you had anuerysm coiled and mine happened at home after coughing thought I had been assaulted as just felt like I'd been hit over head with base ball bat.  I still get a bit fearful when I have coughing fit as guess it has that association with a traumatic event.  It does ease with time and you are in the very early recovery stage.  I still have very short term memory loss 17 months after and totally get word blankness can be embarrassing particularly at work but I am more able to cope now.  Just the brain has to find different pathways which can take longer or get lost on way.

Pleased family have been supportive as that is important I was a nightmare with very short temper particularly when tired, again that is much better now - my husband is very thankful for this ha!

Hope you gain support from site and please continue to let us know how you progress

Regards

Sharon x

• Like 4

Hey there Nicky, I'm glad you took the time to post and share your  experience. It really will help other people in a Similar position who feel that they too have been stripped of that 'invincibility cloak'. 

The the early days post SAH are a bewildering place to find yourself to be honest. All that you knew and took for granted in your behaviour and physical capability gets pretty shaken up and then it's a gradual process of tentatively working out what's the same, what's different, what triggers fatigue symptoms. 

Anxiety is horrid, like you I'd never experienced that fear that grips you , I practised meditation and had some CBT counselling to help me navigate the worst time of that but just keep taking steps, baby ones when needed and some will dance you backwards but it will be forward in the main. You're doing well and the dog walking will help, look up and around and pause as you do. 

My advice is to try to learn early what your triggers look or feel like that tell you that your injured brain is tiring more easily at that moment , stumbling, losing words more frequently, irritability are all signs for me , and if you can try to heed that early then by changing the pace or  just giving yourself some time out then it will help you as you move forward and rebuild from this.

Good luck and well done to the family for their understanding . I blogged over the weekend about how finding my new balance level was down to that support, you may find something in it http://popgoestifty.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/balance-takes-huge-amount-of-practice.html

Take care now . Go steady . 

• Like 1

Hi Nicky

Warm welcome, glad you found the site.

Yep early days in recovery, rest lots, listen to your body, keep hydrated, don't bother about those 'raised eyebrows' if they really understood they wouldn't do it..

Take care, be kind to yourself.

• Like 2