How old were you when your SAH occured?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sharon was 43 when she has hers, and she was always on the go. I've heard of someone having an SAH at the age of 16 but didn't survive - that is scary.

My brother's son, Jackson, had a 'brain bleed' when he was born premature - he's six year old now and was given the same prognosis as Sharon so it goes to show there is always hope. Sharon is now responding to the left - thanks to Tony's story - a little progress is a big step where she is at the moment. We are going to keep sitting at the left side of her bed to try to get her to look left - information like this is vital so if anyone has any please post it.

Thanks again,

Phil

xxx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest ElaineW

My mum was 75 (had her SAH in May 2008) and survived. Been home two weeks but have taken her back into hospital this morning as she keeps being sick so they are going to do a CT and lumbar puncture just to check all OK. I guess she has been exceptionally lucky to come through this. I wnder what the oldest age is for survival?

Elaine

xx

Hi

I was, and am, 46 when my SAH entered my life and that of my family in May '08 - the tuesday after the Bank Holiday actually! I am a tutor and was always 'on the go' as so many of you - altho' other research seems to suggest that stress is not a contributing factor to SAH?!

Quite a varied age range here........!

All the best to everyone xxxx

Jane

I've also read that stress is not a contributing factor, but stress is known to increase blood pressure and if you already have a weakened artery in the form of an aneurysm, higher BP isn't going to do it a lot of good. I'm convinced that high BP caused mine to rupture sooner than it might otherwise have done.

I have essential hypertension, ie. high blood pressure with no known cause and not caused by stress. My boss once asked me if stress might have caused my aneurysm rupture. It didn't hurt to let him think that it did for a while ;)

Regards

Keith

Hi Keith

Like your thinking - how long did you 'milk' the boss?

My GP did not even take my blood pressure on my last visit, I do not think I have problems with that altho' they were obviously trying to reduce it whilst I was in hospital but then it plummetted and they were concerned (apparently as they never discussed it with me!) and monitored it until it stabilised?!

Are regular blood pressure checks part of your guys routines now? Do you insist on them or are they offerred?

Jane

Guest yasmin

I was 44 or was it 43 :D

anyway def not my blood pressure as its always ultra low? think pressure and stress can't help it though, mine ruptured whilst doing a class in the gym

yasmin

For the first 3 months following SAH, my BP was V.high, but both my GP and neurosurgeon said it was a result of the healing brain asking for more blood flow. I'm now on BP meds and get it checked every 6 months and also monitor it myself in between times.

Regards

Keith

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Sorry ive not posted for a long time! I promise i will post more often from now on!

To answer your question Laura i had my 1st haemorrage in march 1996 at age 27 and my 2nd in oct 1996 at age 28-i have just recently been diagnosed with high blood pressure and I am taking medication for the rest of my life to control it ( the perils of hitting the big 40!).

So as ive been diagnosed 13 years after my 1st op i cant say the two are connected at all?

Happy to say the medication is doing its job though as my BP is under control now and the fact that i have to take 3 tabs a day is a small sacrifice.

regards- BIG AL

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I was the youngest at 21! I'm 24 now. Still haven't met anyone younger than me. I was in my final year at University so had to leave ang go bak the following year. Seeing all my friends graduate was hard. I graduated with a 2:1 though, so the old brain didn't let me down :)