Various issues after brain haemorrhages - new member - Robert

Robert semple

It's been a few years since we've met up now to be honest.  I see one lady fairly frequently but she no longer comes on BTG but her and her hubby have stayed good friends with me and mine and they came down to support me last year when my hubby nearly died in a motorbike accident.  They kind of have a bromance going haha.

Glad that things seem to be improving for your Robert - it does give a sense of pride when we see someone struggling and they get advice and things improve for them.  It helps tremendously knowing that you're not alone xxx

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Been a couple of weeks since I wrote.I have been busy with work being back to normal and the joyful labours of being a parent. Had a lovely Christmas and New Year back at home where I belong. I tried my best at taking rest but soon fell into old habits with being very anxious and my OCD went into overdrive again which in turn makes me angry. i started to notice it but I could not control it.

However, the fact I have now learned a little i eventually done some self analysis and realised I should get how I was feeling off my chest and shared it with partner and admitted she started to see it creep in but wanted to see how or if I could deal with it. Once we spoke it was like I had lifted a heavy rock off my shoulders. i just need to realise when it creeps back and deal with it properly.

I am managing to help a friend who has similar issues at the moment which feels really good and I know another friend of a friend will be doing a charity fundraiser soon for Brain injuries to raise awareness.i am hoping to become involved in that.

I hope every one is well?

• Like 8

Hi Robert

Happy New Year, glad to hear you had a good time over the festive period, must have been nice to be back with your famlly.

Sounds like although you had some issues with not taking enough rest that you managed to address the problem with the help of your partner. It's great that you managed to talk to her about it and that she had seen what was happening. Talking really does help and that you have managed to do this can only be good. That feeling of that heavy rock lifting off is so good, and also makes you want to share more in the future as you know how good it feels to have worries shared and understood.

At least now you can reconise when the fatigue is hitting and what to do to help relieve it. I am only now accepting that I mustn't get to the point where I go into meltdown. I need to remember that I can't do things like I did before and to limit activities and work to the point I know I can deal with. It's hard accepting that but makes life so much easier post SAH.

When is your Headway appointment, I will be interested to hear how that goes. Great that you are managing to help others in a similar situation to you. You are helping others here on BTG too by reporting on your progress :)

Keep in touch, and remember to listen to your body - and brain.

Clare xx

• Like 4

Hi Clare ,

My appointment is the 26th of January I am sure. Just waiting on the appointment letter coming through the post.

I am hearing Headway is really good so I am looking forward to the visit.  My partner's mum has a friend in his 40s who had a similar injury to myself.  He has given my family info on how to deal with some difficulties that might arise from in the past but I did not know this until recently.  When I mentioned I was going to headway, the family opened up slightly and told me that's where this guy goes a lot.  I will defo keep you updated.

Thank you x

Robert x 

• Like 2

Robert. So glad  things are going ok. I found Headway a great help to me and in fact I spoke to my assigned Headway nurse just last week as I had had some issues and felt she could help me make sense of them. She did and lovely that even after this time I can still get in contact with them 

Keep noting the signs and go steady, it's not a sprint we are on. Oh how is the book going? 

• Like 3

Hi Robert,

Glad to see all is going well with you.

I did think about you over hols, then went to Wales and wasn't fit for man nor beast.  Too much travelling in 2 days !!

Glad to hear all is going well with you and family.

Belated Happy New Year and may you go from strength to strength.   

Keep a smile at hand  it helps  "wink"  (that's me telling you to be strong so wink = chin up) ha ha  x

• Like 1

Hi Robert,

I enjoy reading your posts as they seem to indicate you are feeling better and adjusting.  I will continue to send you prayers.  I keep waiting on someone to send me paid plane tickets and a place to stay for my family so I can visit, but no takers so far.:)  I am in the US, as are a few others, but most seem to be on your side of the pond.

Keep us posted.

Chris

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Again  its been a few weeks since I have posted but my forum is never far from my mind.

Here 's a little insight into my life. I have four beautiful kids under the age of nine. the youngest is my son aged nine months now and the others are three beautiful daughters. I work a long day as a workshop supervisor in the motor trade training , hopefully to one day being manager. I rise at seven am to organise the kids with my partner for a nine am start at work.

I then work until six and then come home to start another shift in my mind to being a dad whilst my partner then goes to work until 11pm.  This is the reason I fail too update as much as I would like too, this life style is maybe also the reason why I have took longer to heal.

Talking  lately on here has given me the tools and a coping mechanism to get by which is what I believe I needed. lately I have struggled putting some sentences together, thoughts seem to be very unhinged at times ..by that I mean the thoughts and planning seem to be very unsure, so I need to stop and think more which unsettles me and gets me agitated..

This  may sound negative but the reason I point them out is purely because I want to point out that this talking and you guys have given me that coping mechanism I referred too before. I may not know you all but I thankyou for your input and appreciate the help and advice along the way.

Not long until I meet with headway now?

• Like 7

Good luck for you Headway appointment.  By you have your hands full four children under age of nine, wonderful but hard work on top of a job and recovering from head injuries.  

I can struggle sometimes with sentences and get more overwhelmed when I have any pressure.  I found this so hard in the first year, I often could see people get frustrated as my thought process would drift and I would confuse people.  I used to get agitated too, I have learned slowly to calm myself when it happens and relax more about it.  

I have even laughed with colleagues about it just saying I have a lose connector today and please bring me back when I drift!  Not sure if there is any pattern when it happens, I did find keeping a note pad helped as would jot things down more which helped me feel more in control.

You have made such fantastic progress and remember brain will be finding new pathways for information and connectivity.  Keep us up to date about your appointment. 

Sharon

• Like 8

Robert, sounds like you are beginning to see the signs of fatigue and rather than fighting them are noticing which is good, it will help you adjust how you react.

i really hope the appointment goes well for you this week. You have a very busy life with work and the kids and whilst that is what you are used to it's ok to sometimes just try and inject some pauses and spaces into that whenever you can. 

Maybe the kids can help with that sometime too. Try a game of 'sleeping lions' whilst you hold the babba sit and be the judge , doing that can offer just a 2 minute moment of stillness which can help. When I was struggling I used to just climb into bed with the kids put on some nice music and we would all crash out, not the best parenting maybe but it worked for that moment, that time. Be creative ! 

Notice what's happening. Is there lots of competing demands, it's ok to ask people to do things one at a time, it's actually more efficient that way.

Losing or jumbling words is one of my first signs I am overloading, you will need to notice what your own triggers are but if you can make some adjustments at the time you notice the, and just be kind to yourself first than I hope you will find things less of a struggle. Keep talking and keep going chap! 

• Like 5

Hi Robert,

Glad all is okay your end and you sound like you are doing so well. 

Do not worry if you get down moments as we all get them.  Sounds like you are doing really well.

In the early days decisions were my downfall,  as I didn't want to make the wrong decision ha ha,  that wound my family up more.

You are doing so well, so be proud of any little improvements and if you get a little forgetful it is your brain telling you relax.

Keep Well Robert and smile always xx

All the best Win xxxx  Note: Pop into Green room when you have spare time?? if ever lol and let us know how day went xx

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Robert semple said:

lately I have struggled putting some sentences together, thoughts seem to be very unhinged at times ..by that I mean the thoughts and planning seem to be very unsure, so I need to stop and think more which unsettles me and gets me agitated..

My hubby had a near fatal motorbike accident 17 months ago and suffered a brain injury - not a haemorrhage but it was badly bruised - he still struggles for words now and then and it gets him very agitated, especially when dealing with clients.  His consultant gave him a little bit of advice and, so far, its worked. 

The advice was to relax and breathe and not to concentrate too much or too hard on what you're saying as it makes the brain struggle more and then you're more aware of it and it becomes a vicious circle.  It sounded a bit too easy to me when he first said it but I've noticed a huge difference in my hubby when he relaxes whilst talking.  Give it a whirl and see if works for you too xx

• Like 5