Severe headache, don't know what happens next

Hi Sophie

I was unsure what to say to you in my post last night as I did not want to worry you too much so I am glad that lots of others have joined in. Like Sarah I don't understand why the A&E consultant did not send you to the neuro unit straight away. Like Sarah I was also misdiagnosed so I felt uneasy when I read your post.

My own situation is that I did not present to A&E until the 4th day after my SAH (I'd spoken to a nurse on the 1st day on 111 but had not received very good advice). Although my neurosurgeon told me later that the bleed was clearly visible on the CT scan, it was read as negative in A&E and I was sent home. The A&E doctor had told me that the CT scan was 95% accurate (it is actually much less accurate than this after 3 days) and that he did not recommend a lumbar puncture as I seemed quite well. I did eventually get diagnosed by lumbar puncture a couple of days later but even that almost did not happen as doctors were humming and harring over whether I needed one. So it is worth remembering that doctors are not infallible.

When I read your post I thought about what I would do if my 24 year old son was in your predicament. I know that I would have to push and push until I got the answers that satisfied me that everything was in hand and was being dealt with in the correct manner.

As others have said, if you are worried get yourself back to A&E and try to get all your worries addressed. Xx

• Like 1

I have decided if I get any worse I will go straight away, but I am going after work at 4.30. I need some answers and I can't carry on with these headaches. 

I do feel that they have misdiagnosed me or are treating me as a non urgent. Knowing what they say on the ct scan I just don't understand it all.

When I first went in they tried to send me home, saying it was a migraine, until I collapsed on the floor in agony. 

Sophie,

Please please go and get yourself checked out, I had my bleed 2 years ago and the hospital tried to discharge me with Migraine, my partner had found me unconscious at home, he insisted that I didn't suffer with migraine and it was only thanks to a young doctor that they eventually got me a scan and discovered I'd had a bleed.

Please don't wait, you are going to worry yourself sick and you really do need answers to all the questions you have.

Get yourself to A & E and tell them you are not leaving until you know exactly what is wrong with you.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on.

Love

Michelle x

• Like 1

Right Sophie I shall be very blunt go to a & e because your life IS at risk ask them to explain the letter and tell them your symptoms.

Sophie at the end of the day it is better to go to a & e and be checked go NOW xxx

• Like 3

Right I am at a&e now, I have shown them my discharge sheet where it shows concern for sah I told them I have headaches that are getting worse slowly, and my neck is aching. The woman looked disinterested and told me to sit down.. been sat here for 40mins :/.. because I'm not in complete agony they will make me wait 5 hours :/ 

Sophie the others are right - yes the wait is irritating but at least you will get seen today.

Your well being is paramount and if your headaches are getting worse as you say, you are in the best place. 

If you were at home you would still have headaches but there would be no-one there who could sort them out for you and no end in sight.

There, you have help right by your side even if you have to wait a bit. 

Sit there and don't go until you have been properly examined and make sure you spell it out for them what's wrong with you.  Don't ask them to guess - tell them!

Best wishes,

Macca

Thank you everyone. 

Its northampton hospital. I have been seen to have bloods taken and they said I'm a failed discharge so being referred back to the consultants that discharged me. But been told I could have a long wait. My phone battery's low so not sure how long I can keep you all updated. Fingers crossed it's good news and I get told it's just something to monitor xx

Sophie, do you have someone with you today? , someone who can help advocate for you that this is not usual state of affairs for you , that for you to be falling asleep, still in pain, have no energy is not normal for you.  be firm, be clear but get that point across. Don't panic, don't get cross get determined...channel your inner strong woman ...they need to understand that you need help to understand what that previous discharge meant ,  what they think may have happened and if it was a bleed then what happens now and to get the help and support for what's next 

good luck. 

Sophie, you've stuck it out so far, just hang on in there.  There are no answers at home and you will absolve them of all responsibility if you don't stay.

We're all rooting for you and we want to know the answer as much as you do now, so hang in there - please!!!

Well guys I went home. I waited from 3.20pm to 7pm. A male nurse came to me after I asked to go home and said "go the pharmacy and if you ask nicely you will get some paracetamol". He questioned why my course of antibiotics was only a week (like I would know?) and then said I was only referred to a neurologist to investigate why I get constant headaches :/..

I never got headaches until my recent visit to A&E and on my discharge form and letter to gp it states in black and white small volume of sah :/.. I feel completely stupid and just wanted to go home and curl up in bed. Going to wait for my appointment to come through and go from there. 

You are not stupid for going to A&E.

I think that nurse was very condescending in what he said, and in my opinion shouldn't have said that. He obviously has no understanding of what the letter says and means.

Personally I think you should have stuck it out until you were seen by a consultant.

In the event of any further problems go back or depending on the severity dial 999.

Please keep us updated.

Hi Sophie

I do feel for you and am disappointed , not in you but in the hospital that dealt with you. I hope that the symptoms you have described do not become worse. Please, if that does happen, call 999 and get blue lighted in, maybe you will get more attention that way.

Watch out for worsening headache, worsening stiffness of the neck and vomiting. Any change in those symptoms do not hesitiate to ask for help.  I hope that this action will not become necesssary.

Keep us posted on how you are feeling and remember we are all here for you.

Clae xx