Kay - new member

Kay

Kay it's hard to comtemplate having to have another procedure but there are others on here, myself included who have had to go on to have further interventions ( mine was for shunt placement but others have had further coiling or clipping ) and it sounds like they are doing some good investigation so they can work out the best solution for you long term

talk to your team at queens, if you aren't sure about anything get them to draw basic diagrams. Like you I quite like looking at the amazing 3D images bit sometimes simple is best and easier, also my  hubby gets excited when he sees those and starts asking lots of tangent questions so Now I take MIL to my check ups who is much more focussed and takes notes so we don't forget what gets said. ?

Its a shock to realise that perhaps what you hoped was fully 'fixed' needs some further maintenance but trust that for them that caretaking of your anneurism is what they excel at. Ask lots of questions and keep coming here if you need some support with the thought of what's next. 

Take care. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be positive Kay - they have identified the problem and are in a position to be able to do something about it if required. Sometimes a second intervention is needed but look forwards to putting all this behind you once it is done.

Good luck,

Macca

Quite a few on BTG have to have an eye kept on their scans so at least  you know they are doing their job.

All what others have said Kay,  I agree with,  but it doesn't stop you stressing xx 

So keep calm and I wont say do not worry but 1 person or more had it done,  but do not ask me who ???  Any takers on this ??? 

Remember ..Stress is bad for our poor brains  xx  

Good luck 

Win xxxx

Sorry to hear you had a knock back Kay - I hope the shock has worn off slightly since you got the news, although I doubt it.    I say that as I remember all too well when I was told I had to have more coils put in as they hadn't packed it sufficiently for fear of the coils coming back out, blocking my artery and causing a stroke.  To hear that when you assume everything is solved is not nice.

All that was 2008/09 and in 2016 I was told the aneurysm had grown and there was talk of yet more coiling. A further scan this April and I was told it appeared stable - so all a bit confusing and unsettling.   Yes, seeing those images is fascinating.

I hope you won't have to wait too long - the hope being that you don't have to worry about it for too long.

Best wishes,

Sarah

• 3 weeks later...

I have the date for my surgery through and it will be on the 14th September.

I'm trying to stay positive but my anxiety levels keep going through the roof. I was just starting to get back to some normality, I was going to start working again, it just all feels like such a set back. Plus it's my 30th birthday this November, I'm worried about recovery time, I just really wanted to be ok for it.

I think i'd feel better if i knew which it was going to be coiling/clipping because then I could prepare myself, but I wont know until they've done the tests on the day, I hate the uncertainty of it, I think that is whats stressing me out more than anything, I like to know exactly whats happening.

Hi Kay

As scary as all this is for you, don't look at it as a step back - look at it as another rung to climb on the ladder to recovery.  I know it's easy for me to say but this op will help you move on with your recovery and in the end give you less to worry about.  I suggest preparing yourself for what you would see as the worst case scenario because then anything else is a bonus.

I'll be thinking of you xx

• 2 weeks later...

I remember someone writing on here that when we first had our SAH they had the blood to deal with etc etc .

This time it is more straight forward as you will be in hospital not sick and bleeding but a straight forward op.

Whereas before you were ill, does that make sense??? 

Not telling you not to be afraid just saying it is more straight forward.  

Keep Well and chin up and let us know how you got on after 14th.   

I loved my 30's  and 40's  I wont go on anymore on age as we'll be here all night  xxxx ha ha  

Smile xxxxxx

Hi Kay :)

Wishing you well for tomorrow and a speedy recovery in time for your 30th birthday :) 

Thinking of you and sending loads of positive healing vibes your way xx

Take care and as Win has said, when you feel up to it, let us know how you are doing.

Love Tina xx

All the best for tomorrow Kay -try and concentrate on the 15th September when it will be all over.  

Not knowing until the day which method they are going to perform is not easy, but either way it is being done for a good reason and then you will not have the anxiety that you have right now - you will be able to continue with your recovery and get your life back on track without it hanging over you. The relief afterwards will be a great feeling so keep telling yourself this for the rest of today x

Hugs,

Sarah

• 1 month later...

Hey, just to give everyone an update, the surgery didn't happen on the 14th of September. I've been given a preliminary date of the 10th of November but no official letter yet.

To be honest it's been quite stressful, and I've been trying not to think about it, which is why I haven't been on here lately, I've just been trying to forget about it and distract myself.

The Doctors have said they can't do the test on the blood vessel coming out of the aneurysm to check if it's essential or not (they believe it's not essential), but they can't be 100% sure. This basically means they'll be coiling the aneurysm and blocking of the blood supply to blood vessel, quite scary, but I'm sure everything's going to be fine.

fingers crossed

Bless you Kay, so very frustrating and stressful, really feel for you, so sorry your surgery did not happen, hugs xx

Thank you for letting us know, I really hope you get the 10th November confirmed so at least you know what's happening.

Wishing you well for your coiling and hope it wont spoil your 30th birthday celebrations.

Everything crossed for you, all will be fine :) 

Take care

Love Tina xx

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, this is just to give everyone an update. I went in on the 14th of December and came out of hospital again last Monday.

My memory of everything is still pretty hazy. They wanted to coil the remainder of the aneurysm but after 6 hours of trying decided they couldn't (I believe they came to the conclusion whilst they were in there that one of the blood vessels was essential) whilst i was in surgery, there was another bleed somewhere else in the brain (definitely not from the aneurysm) they believe they may have nicked something somewhere else, whilst trying to coil, which led to a vasospasm.

They then had to let me recover for a week before proceeding to clip the remainder of the aneurysm, during which they also delt with a cyst. I also went through a collapsed lung and sepsis.

I don't believe I've read much on here about other people suffering from delusions, but this time round I most certainly did. At one point I believed the Hospital was a ship that kept sailing between Paris and England. Apparently delusions like these are not uncommon because of the strong medication and blood on the brain confusing everything.

Ok so that was the last month of my life. I will go in to more detail later, I just wanted to give you all a rough summary and to let everyone know my current situation.

I'm gutted I missed both Christmas and New Year though!! Some serious TV catch-up is needed now

Kay, thank you for the update. You may have missed Christmas and the New Year but there is always the next one to look forward too.

Now the only way is up. A very gentle and slow recovery but you will come out the other end. Just take baby steps, don't push yourself at all.

Talking about delusions, apparently, although I must have known I was in hospital, according to my family I was convinced I was in another hospital in the same city and being well looked after because I worked there. In actual fact I had trained as a radiographer at the hospital I thought I was in many years ago. I cannot recall any of this or any of the time I spent in hospital. I was also convinced that the staff were trying to poison me.

The mind certainly does play funny tricks when it has been disrupted

Kay

So sorry for all you went through, but so glad that you're here to tell us all about it.

Think there are a couple of people on here that have had the confusion etc - my husband did after a bike accident 2 1/2 years ago and he only had a slight head injury - his was caused by infection, exhaustion and lack of oxygen - he took us through ten decades in one afternoon - 1 minutes thinking it was the 70s, then the 80s the next minute and so on - even told his mother that he'd teach her how to smoke.  So think it may be a pretty natural reaction to all that your body went through.

Make sure you rest up and just catch up on all that missed TV x

Great to hear form you Kay!

Many of us had delusions.  Mine involved still being in the 1950's, (1953, some two years before I was even born) someone called Diane was Prime Minister and the Houses of Parliament were on my local shopping precinct next to Greggs!  Crackers, but I really believed it at the time!

The main thing is that you have come through it and its onwards and upwards now!  Great to have you back aboard the great ship BTG!!!  For the time being, I bet every day is Christmas now isn't it?

Best wishes,

Macca

I think I might start a topic on delusions. I think it would be helpful for people to know about the fact that they happen. Whilst I was in the hospital I wrote some of my delusions down in a diary (that my fiance was keeping for me, because I kept forgetting that he was in fact coming to see me everyday, so he started to write down for me that he'd been to see me on such a day and what we talked about)

As I was writing these delusions down I compared it to what Dali produced with Disney, very surreal, but I didn't know I f this was due to my own individual interests or if every ones would be just as strange. I would be fascinated to hear of other peoples experiences with delusions, I felt very alone at the time and so hopefully a topic on this subject could help someone else in the future, or someones  family (I know It was very hard for mine to cope with at the time, especially when I was getting upset and insisting that the nurses were lying to them)

It's also just occurred to me that this last lot was a NASAH, I guess

I will be having a Christmas day next week sometime, we've even still got the tree up (bad luck be damned, I've never been superstitious) I shall not miss out, but yes I feel great and very lucky at the moment

After reading through all the comments on here last night, it occurred to me that I never completed my original story of my first SAH, I only got so far and needed to stop. I'm going to make an effort to complete that today. I just hope I haven't forgotten most of it at this point now, I think I wrote some notes down at the time, I'll have to see if I can dig them out. 

Archived