Headache and meds

Hi all, I'm 8 weeks out from my non aneurysm sub. Over the last few days have been trying to manage considerable blood pressure spikes that occur in response to stress . Went to emergency room and had another CT scan to rule out another bleed. All ok. Saw cardiologist yesterday and got an additional BP med. seems to be working. 

In  the meantime the severity of my daily headaches has increased, non prescription drugs not helping and I can't get a good night sleep because I am awakened by the pain. Bad, but nothing like the hemorrhage thunderclap.   I note weather has been fluctuating a lot with rain and thunderstorms. 

I think i need codeine for these bad ones and will try to talk to doctor about getting a prescription. I'm also trying ice packs on my head. Getting frustrated. Have any of you had to go back to a nacotic on occasion for the headaches? 

Thanks very much, struggling here. 

Hi Vermont Girl,

When I was in hospital for SAH,  they found out I was allergic to codeine, so I take paracetamol.

Some of us on here get  what I call barometer heads, when there is a storm brewing  we get thick heads and feel the pressure build up but we are not medical so see Doc and put your mind at ease. 

My surgeon told me stress is bad for us so I'll pass it on to you xx 

You take care and think happy thoughts as we are Survivors, wishing you all the best.

Good luck and remember happy thoughts only when possible XX

Regards

Winb143

• Like 1

I am now almost 4 years post non aneurism SAH and still get regular headaches. Weather and hormones affect it huge and I make sure to have T3 on hand at all times. It's not as bad as the first two years but it is still there as a dull ache. Not sure how many others are the same, but that has been my experience. 

• Like 2

Thanks, Casey. I've wondered about using coffee, I'll try it. I think the cognitive shift to "pain is your friend" may also be useful. In fact, this week I have been pushing too hard! I'm off to restorative yoga this morning - am hopeful that will help with many things.

• Like 2

Hi....  In CT in the US and yes weather does mess with me.  I had my incident 5/1 and stopped pain meds 5/18.  I try to stick with just the extra strength Tylenol...... but.....  I take 1/2 Klonepin for anxiety and I swear it helps hugely with the headaches because I feel now they're mostly stress and tension related.  With all the worry all the time, it completely has a hand in the way I physically feel.  Also, I will have chocolate or add regular tea to my decaf and that tends to help as well.  

Other things I use alternatively are lavender and peppermint essential oils rubbed together gently on my temples.  I also bought a diffuser with the essential oils and have that next to my bed.  I use a rice aromatherapy pack on my head big enough to hit my temples which I keep cold in my freezer.  With all of that there are a ton of meditation for relaxation on YouTube so I lay down with my set up and pop my ear buds in and meditate.  All of this has helped me.  

Alternatively, I've also seen an acupuncturist for 13 years for Rhumatoid Arthritis and I am very anxious to get back to him because he makes everything better.  Hope these ideas help!!  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Vermont girl,

I struggled for six months after my bleed with severe headaches only to find out that  the narcotics I was taking were giving me what they call"rebound headaches". The drug helps at first but then I would get a worse headache Later in the day.

I cut back on the narcotics and my doc gave me a combo of Benadryl and a nausea med,(either compazine or phenergran). Basically makes me very tired and I sleep off the bad headache. This worked out much better for me.

Good luck finding your solution!

prayers!

Mandie

• Like 1