Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello!

By registering with us, you'll be able to view our forums in full as well as discuss, share and private message other members of Behind The Gray. Why not join us now?
Daffodil

Reapplying for license with exceptional circumstances-UK only

Welcome GCoutt. Although most of us are neither medical practitioners nor working for DVLA in their medical team, we hope to be able to give you a steer and maybe some hope! It seems like you have been through the mill a bit but I think there is certainly a good chance that you can get your licence back. There may be some hoops to jump through (all well documented in this and other threads in this section) and it may take some time!

A read through some of the threads in this section will give you a good idea of what the DVLA expect of you when you have a visual defect. You, however, have come from a different place as your licence was revoked for other reasons. I'm afraid I know nothing about the DVLA rules in respect of operative, or post operative, regulations about driving abilities. Unless someone here can make that clear, you may need to discuss that with them separately.

For instance, would they now give you your licence back if you didn't have a visual defect? If they would, you know that you only have the 'visual defect' hoop to jump through. If not, you may have to take a two-pronged approach.

With respect to the visual defect matter, you are sensible to have taken the Esterman test at Specsavers although I suspect they may ask you to do so again so that they can receive a formal report from Specsavers under their own system. It seems that the DVLA like to instruct Specsavers themselves (DVLA pay for it, so you don't have to suffer the cost again) so that they can explain properly the reason for the test (despite the fact that you may have done this when you got the test done!).

Once Specsavers issue the report to DVLA (or the DVLA accept the report sent by you with your re-application) they will let you know whether you can a) drive again, or b) need to jump through some hoops. If you need to jump through hoops you will receive a letter that will explain what the hoops are. Once you have this letter, then come back with more questions. We are well versed in hoop jumping.

There is no 'bucking the system' here and many of us have successfully regained our licences (oh, deep joy!) but it may take time and patience on your part. What you have here is a bunch of people who know the frustrations of being without 'wheels' (I felt my heart leap with joy just thinking that I can drive again!) and will work tirelessly to help you through the tribulations to regain freedom of the road.

Fill out that re-application form and send in that information. In the meantime we will keep our fingers crossed that the news is good for you but steel ourselves to be of assistance. Bon chance!

• Like 1

I have been wondering if there is any update from GCoutt? It seems to have gone quiet but we do, of course, already know that the wheels of DVLA industry turn painfully slowly!

Johnnie i will message GCoutt letting them know you are asking after them.

• Like 1

Hi Jonnie M

Thanks for your comments. I’m sending off all the forms and test results this week. I had a consultant appointment so wanted to see if their was anything from that I could add. He assures me, if anything, my visual defect could improve slightly over the next 6 months.

It certainly won’t get worse so I’m managing to keep a little bit of optimism. It will just be a visual field defect hoop I have to jump through so I may well be tapping you up for advice and techniques on how to do this successfully!! I’ll keep you posted,

Thanks for your interest and concern.

Thanks for the response GC. Keep in contact and let us know how you are getting on.

JM

Holy thread revival Batman!! So, how's the process of getting your licence back going GC? It's gone so quiet that there may not be anything to relate but have you had any luck, or forward movment, with the DVLA application?

JM

• Haha 1