Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello!

By registering with us, you'll be able to view our forums in full as well as discuss, share and private message other members of Behind The Gray. Why not join us now?
Bev75

Pain developed in hands and feet after SAH

That's great Bev, how frustrating you have had to wait for so long the relief but I am glad you now know however they do it there is an end to the suffering.

That's really good to hear....

Your embrace the moment honey...

hugs.x

I'm so pleased for you Bev!!  I hope you continue to improve.  

xx

Hi everyone

Sadly by Sunday, all my symptoms had returned, back wearing dark glasses, ear plugs, headaches and stumbling about yet again.

I went back for my follow up appointment today. They're booking me in for a scan next Monday and making preparations for shunt surgery in a few weeks time. They are still undecided which shunt to go with, LP or VP.

Really hope this will be the turning point now in my recovery xx

How long does it take to recover from this type of surgery, and what is it like living with a shunt? 

Xx

• Sad 1

Hi Bev

Sorry to hear your symptoms have returned.  There are a couple on here who have shunts and I'm sure they'll respond in the morning.  To be honest, they generally have good things to say about having a shunt to alleviate their issues.

• Like 1

Thank you,

I'm hoping Dafodil  and Win could kindly give me any guidence they can please xx

I have a shunt but I can't remember having it fitted or the recovery time as it was just after my SAH, whilst I was still in hospital. I have never had a problem with it and only had it reset after MRIs, because they can alter the setting on the type I have fitted.

• Like 1

Hi Bev

first I am sending a big virtual hug and positive vibes as  I think i know some of what you are feeling. So basically your ventricles have some function, but not enough to regulate properly  and so then you live in a world of  ‘high CSF pressure’. The relief from an LP is short lived ( which is saying something as such horrid procedure] as once the effect kicks in you barrel to ‘low pressure’ and then climb back up again. 

I had shunt surgery in July 2012 after my SAH in the March before. Initially I spent 5 week after bleed in hospital, had Grade 4 SAH And EVD , sharing to give you context so I was in a pretty bad way. 

Prior to my second surgey to place VP shunt I spent 10 days whilst they deliberated to place a Shunt or not and I had far too many LP’s during that time to Try And manage pressure And kick start ventricles. It didn’t work . It’s not a time I like to recall if I’m honest.

The decision to have the Shunt was a relief, I couldn’t bear much more and wonder if you possibly feel similar. The surgery was hard, I will not deny that , but make sure they get the pain management approach right to deal with the effects of how much CSF gets lost during surgery. We can’t give medical advice but I will say that only subcutaneous slow release of meds was successful to manage pain For me in the days post surgery. I was a guinea pig at time as it’s similar to what they do for cancer patients.

I stayed in for another 2 weeks, ( missed the entire London 2012 Olympic s And id had tickets!!) . The scarring was quite significant, big haircut yet again And the surgery site was sore and  ached, but here’s the thing, even with all that I felt a bit better. I didn’t have the same pressure level once things settled. It did take me quite a while to get the right setting for me and I shared that story here 

However everyone’s different and I am VERY sensitive to any pressure change so I’m told...

Bev, any surgery is scary I know, we will all send you our best wishes once you get a date.  This will be a step back in many ways as you will Be floored again but by getting the pressure balanced your brain can better recover from the Hydrocephalus effects and bleed. Feel free to PM me .

daff 

Daff,

Thank you so much for your information, it really has helped. Yes I would appreciate any guidence, my symtoms are very similar to what you experienced.

I'm back to wearing dark glasses and ear plugs again, stumbling about. But at least I had a glimps of what improvements I can gain. It has worried me about having a shunt, but i've got no choice now, this is the only option I have.

Reading through your past journal, has given me hope, it's good to know we're not in our own, looks like i'll be joining the shunt club.

If that's ok, I would like to PM you.

I don't know which shunt they're going to do yet . Lumbar or Ventricular? I've got ongoing neck and shoulder inpingement, with chronic bursitis, it's taking some time to settle. 

I'll keep you updated when I get a date to go.

Many thanks guys for all your replies of support, really means a lot xx

• Like 2