Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello!

By registering with us, you'll be able to view our forums in full as well as discuss, share and private message other members of Behind The Gray. Why not join us now?
Sign in to follow this  
SarahLS

Feeling scared

I'm feeling a bit scared/worried tonight and rather than sitting at home stewing I thought I'd post here knowing that even without you all being able to give me medical advice I know you're all likely to understand.

I'm just a week away from the 1 year anniversary of my SAH/RVCS and in the past month I've started feeling really unwell again. Headaches that come absolutely out of the blue and affect the back of my head (so not at all like how my migraines used to be - but equally similar but not quite as bad as the thunderclaps from last year). I'm taking all the medication that has been prescribed, drinking loads of water/squash and sleeping 8 hours a night.

The only change in the last month is that I've been told my job is being deleted and they can't see any successor rights for me. I had seen part of this coming but thought there would be new less stressful roles I could apply for but that seems not to be the case. I thought I was fine with this, the job has ceased to be a passion/love and I was hoping to recover more (hopefully) and then job hunt next year. 

The problem however is twofold in that as the changes are all just 'in consultation' right now no one can or will give me a structure to how this will work timing wise (I could be in redeployment prior to redundancy in 2 weeks or maybe not until April) and the uncertainty is not helping. Then all my colleagues think I've been treated unfairly and so are feeding this back and I could find out I can apply for a new role - this sounds great but if I get this right I *have* to apply otherwise it is considered I am quitting and I get no help/payments and no reference.

I have seen Occ Health and the Union and know my employer is just about staying on the legal side of how they are treating me, although there are some issues to raise and keep track of for discrimination/constructive dismissal. I guess as I am listing this rationally I can see that it probably is just stress that is causing the problems but the pain onset is so sudden and scary I am of course worried that there is something else going on. 

I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow (and amazingly at such short notice I get to see the dr I've seen all year about the SAH) and it is only 10 days until my first NHS mental health appointment but right now I just needed to write this out and ask others who may have experienced similar symptoms to reassure me that stress is my main problem and that I'm not missing anything obvious.

Thanks for listening 

Sarah

Hi Sarah

I read your post and really feel for you. Employers always stay just that close to the line to protect themselves with no care for the employee. Not much you can do in this situation except ride it out, they hold all the cards and will play them as required.

Regarding your headaches I would predict that they are due to stress but would suggest you get them checked out to be certain. Stress can cause headaches. I had a period of stress recently and found I was getting a lot of stabbing pains in my head. When I sought medical advice I was told they were most likely caused by stress and true to form when my stress lessened so did my headaches.

Try to relax, get some medical advice and take comfort from the fact that repeat SAH is very rare. I hope you get your employment issues resolved my only advice would be to do what is best for YOU, no one else. Stuff the company - they will only be thinking of themselves too!

Clare xx

• Like 1

Thank you Clare for the reassuring words, I feel you are right about the stress as I have woken up feeling better and wonder if that is because I haven't got to go into the office until Tuesday.

I will keep my Dr appointment today and just get checked out just to be on the safe side.

i knew this was the place to come for reassurance. 

• Like 1

Hello Sarah,

I'm coming up to 2 years since my NASAH and the headaches I get do seem to correlate with increased periods of stress, and they have varied in intensity over the last 2 years. Of course, the usual 'seek medical advice' applies, but I hope all goes well. 

daf 

Saw my GP and it is probably stress but a few of the symptoms/ surgery tests were a little odd and so she's referred me for an MRI to check all is ok as I don't have a neurology appointment yet scheduled.

thanks for the support and advice 

My surgeon told me not to stress and the only way I found not to was sing, but it stressed all around me out as I was sooo flat lol 

Keep thinking happy thoughts if possible, and try not to worry but I do not practise what I preach  lol  

Be well and hope all goes well xxxxx